Sign in to follow this  
eldar2112

Re-installation problem

I've successfully added a second, FSX-dedicated hard disk to my PC, but have run into problems uninstalling my current FSX in order to re-install it on the new HD. Now when I start the installation CD if offers me 2 options: Repair or Remove. Neither of these are successful as I get an error stating that these actions are only available for installed products...Any suggestions how I can convince Windows that I don't have FSX installed so that the Setup gives me the Install option?Regards,

SkipperMac

Guest triangle

A bit of a guess here, but you could try the uninstall program feature in Control Panel.Failing that, i wonder if your new hard disk has resulted in your drive letter assignments changing - if so, your FSX registry entries may be pointing to an installation pathway that is no longer valid. if this is the case, you would need to chnage the drive letters back so that they reflect those that applied when you orginally installed FSX.Andrew

Thanks Andrew.'Add and Remove Programs' doesn't work - so far as Windows is concerned, FSX is uninstalled ... I just need to convince the FSX DVD of that fact! (At least that's how I perceive the problem.)Drive letters haven't changed either. The new HD is F: for Fltsim...Thanks for trying.

SkipperMac

Did you have Service Pack 2 installed for FSX? If I remember correctly that has it's own uninstall operation. If you have SP2 installed and run the executable for SP2 again it will give you the option to uninstall or repair that as well.As a side note, I just added an FSX dedicated drive to my rig as well. I was a lot more comfortable formatting and re-installing O/S and everything. Nice clean install. I have a good deal of add-ons so it was no easy task, as in it took a week to get it all re-installed and back where I had it before, but it was well worth it. Some may not have this option understandably.Good Luck,KailFlightSimmer since 1987C2D E6850 3.0GHz 1333FSBXFX Nforce 680i LT SLI2x XFX 8800GT 512MB SLI'd4GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 800MHzCreative SB Audigy2 ZSUltra Xfinity 600W SLI PSUSeagate 320GB SATA-3GB/S HD for O/SWD 160GB SATA 3GB/S HD for FSXWindows XP SP3 / FSX SP2 / FS9 SP1

Thanks for listening,

Kail