Sign in to follow this  
spilok

FMC Tutorial...I know it's been asked!

I know others have asked in the past, but I'll just ask again. I really want to learn to use an FMC correctly and hopefully, without too much pain. Is there a link somewhere that goes through an easy to learn explanation?Perhaps there's a great plane that you can recommend I buy that has a good explanation of this system. I feel left back in the FS world by not knowing how to use this system. I mostly fly GA aircraft and once in a while I'd like to take a more sophisticated flight without depending on the FS GPS gauge.Thanks.Stan

Guest fsxmissionguy

Stan,Do you have an aircraft with a working CDU? If so, which one?

Guest Sirocco

I suggest going to www.youtube.com and entering terms like "FMC" and "CDU" into the search box. It will give you a start and some ideas to continue learning.

Looks like I should get a PMDG heavy in my stable and learn on that one. The youtube tutorial looks good, so I can probably use my laptop for youtube while having FSX up on my main computer.Good idea.Stan

Guest fsxmissionguy

Stan,Once you really figure out what these computers do, you won't want to fly without one. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of planning and virtually eliminates the mathematics as far as determining things like Rotate speed at a given takeoff weight, things like that.They're not that hard to figure out, but can be time consuming to set up for each flight. One of the questions you'll want to ask before making a final purchase decision is whether a given FMC can accept as input an exported FSX flight plan. Makes entering flight plans a LOT easier (although FSX flight plans are fairly simplistic.)Cheers,

WHICH plane should I buy to learn the FMC procedure CORRECTLY and with the most smoothly operating FMC?Stan

Stan I have the Level D 767 and I would recommend it over the PMDG as far as performace and FPS are concerned. Even though I already knew how to use the FMC properly I went out a got the DVD by http://www.flyaoamedia.com/ . Its great for learning or just brushing up on procedures.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest D17S

On the other hand, the Level D airplane is a 767. This is a Generation 1 Flight Management System (FMS). It still uses an (E)ADI and an (E)HSI. Gen 2 came with the 744. This avionics system uses a Primary Flight Display (PFD) and a Navigational Display (ND). It's a whole different ballgame. If you want to learn a modern FMS, the PMDG 744 is the - Only - game in town.

Either way, for the OP they both are vary similiar in the way they program and the uses, plus for the average user he will probably get a little more milage FPS wise with the Level D model.

I'm going for the Level D...more FPS is important to me. Does the plane download also include a basic tutorial on the FMS, or do I have to get the training DVD?Stan

Yeah it comes with a manuel that is really good. Get plenty of paper and print it out. It also comes with tutorial flights that go through programming the FMC. Later you way want to consider the DVD, it's really good. Their forum is also really help full if you have questions, but you have to own the product before you can access it. I also have the PMDG 737NG for FS9, but for FSX the Level D is my favorite. Plus the VC is really good on frames, not much worse than the defaults on FPS in the VC.

Guest D17S

I'm fortunate to have access to real 767s. After learning the CDU buttonology on the PMDG744 sim, I was able to go out to a real 767 and setup-up a flight from start to finish. At that point "Clear Right" was all I needed. Good thing no one was around. I was ready to taxi!However after sitting behind a modern PFD/ND instrument package, the 767 ADI/HSI instrument package looks like something right out of a 1930 Pan Am clipper movie . . . cuz it is. I have 'em both and every once in a while I'll fire up the 767. It's always a bit startling. The instrument package is virtually identical to a DC3. The HSI's flight director functionality is the same that has been used since ADF/VOR in the earliest days of aviation. The course deviation needle. The ND's function to lay out a flight plan on a moving map display becomes indispensable. Want to choose a SID/STAR? Good luck without it. You'll have charts spread all over the room . . . just like those brave air-mail pilots of the 20s. Worried about frames over learning with an up to date system? That's a misplaced priority cuz in FS9, there is no difference, But even if there was, just turn something down a notch. This is about learning to operate a - Real - heavy jet transport, not sightseeing. You won't be doing too much looking out the window.