Sign in to follow this  
Ed

FSX Installation doesn't write Registry Entries!

Guest Extrabine

Hi guys!It all started when I tried to install FSX SP2. But I have to begin right from the start...When I installed Flight Simulator X, the installer started and didn't show me the proper "Welcome to blablabla" message, but a kind of placeholder for these messages, looking like "IDS_welcome". Same thing with the Text on the Buttons. There wasn't "Install" on them, but "IDS_install" or something like that. It was a bit strange that some of the messages were shown correctly, like Options (for Installation) and the Message after installing, and some weren't. Anyway, I thought "it will be alright" and started FSX - and it obviously worked without problems. Thereafter I installed Service Pack 1 and wanted to install Sp2 as well, but I got following error message: "Microsoft Flight Simulator X Service Pack 2 requires the German version of Flight Simulator X."Erm.. this IS the german version! I looked around in the internet and found a fix for this problem. There is obviously a wrong or missing string/data in the registry. So I opened the registry and navigated to Local machine/software/microsoft/microsoft games/.... what?! There is NO FSX entry in the registry AT ALL! ...Does anybody know this problem and how to fix it?Reinstalling doesn't fix it. I thought maybe the DVD has some errors because of the strange setup messages I explained before. But when I used XP, this DVDs worked great and are still working great (I checked it on my other XP computer). I think there is a connection between this strange install routine and the missing entries. My Laptop has Vista as well and has the same problem. So it is obviously a Vista problem!What you need to know: I'm not using the original DVDs here. I have two flats and all original DVDs at home. But I used this DVDs before with XP and as you know - they work. Is it possible that Vista recognises a "non original" DVD and brings up some stupid errors like that? That would be very strange, because I'm still using my normal registration key that I bought with the original version a year ago. I can't go back home yet to get the original ones and I'm quite sure that if this DVDs show that error, the original ones will do it, too!I don't know if I can manually create all entries in the registry, because I don't know what else I have to enter and if that works. Can anybody help me?cheers, Sabine

Guest Extrabine

Hi Jim!Thanks for your post. I'm afraid I found exactly this post before and I am talking about this post in my upper post as well. I can't navigate to the registry director they are talking about, because FSX didn't create any. I say it again, there is no FSX entry in my registry - that is my problem. But thanks anyway for helping..Sabine