Sign in to follow this  
Chris Catalano

Simple Newbie Question

Hi Everyone:Everytime I try to temporarily exit FSX to the desktop with Alt-Shift-Tab, FSX will not let me back in and it locks up. I then need to end the program in the task manager. I want to be able to leave the program temporarily to go the the MY TRAFFIC X "Traffic Board". I can't seem to do this without the program locking up. How do I leave FSX and then return to it?Thanks,Chris Catalano

Hi Chris,To leave FSX maybe can you switch to window mode first (Alt + Enter)?Or just use Alt + Tab (without Shift).To return to FSX you can try to use the Esc key. You will be asked to leave or continue your flight. Select "Continue" and you'll be OK.Regards,

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

This is probably an over simplification and may not be exactly about what you are asking, but why not simply pause the flight (Click "P")? You can minimize the display if you want to do something else on your computer/monitor. Then later come out of the pause mode by clicking "P" again and resume your flight.Good Luck:RTH

No luck - I can get out into windowed mode, but I cannot seem to get back. Even pressing the Alt-Enter keystrokes again does not usually bring me back to to the full screen mode. Occasionally it works, but usually it locks up. Any ideas how I can get BACK to the full screen mode once I enter the windowed mode?Thanks,Chris catalano

Sometimes going Ctrl-Alt-Delete,And bringing up applications,then clicking on FSX works.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Guest JIMJAM

Let me take a wild guess and say you have a Nvidia card. Maybe a 8800gt?

Chris,What is your operationg system and FSX version? SP2?

Guest fsxmissionguy

Chris,Are you running any UI add-ons that improve the user interface (or that might otherwise have altered the behavior of apps that are minimized? Things like RocketDock ... any skinning applications?

Guest JIMJAM

If you do a search of the boards, you will find problems simular to and in addition to yours extending back to FS9.Graphics anomolies,menu corruption,Ctds,lock ups,menu freezes,ect are all just part of the flight sim expereince.Those without these problems,blame YOU.IMO its just a simple case of the wrong combination of x,y and z that do not get along together.I have tried EVERYTHING and I have alot of time.As is, its pretty much like throwing darts in the dark as to how FSX is going to run on my dedicated mid level machine.First,save then delete and let fsx rebuild its fsx.cfg.Play around with your vid card settings. No overclocking and if using Nhancer,Rivatuner ect,remove them.Remove acceleration if you have it.Go back to a earlier driver before they started adding dx10 support.SORRY but there is NO one answer if there even is one.In my case, I still get all of the above and especially if I exit full screen, its 50/50 if I can get back in. I often need to hit ESC, then continue flight,curse alot.Good luck and just remember its not just YOU. Through trial and error find stable settings that work and just deal with it until hopefully a fix or fs11 adresses these problems.

No - nothing at all like those you described. In fact, the computer is brand new - only 1 week old. Didn't add anything to this already fast machine.Thanks,Chris