Sign in to follow this  
Guest j-mo

Boeing 314 Flying Boat, anyone?

Guest Gander

this newbie would much appreciate any comments Re: the latest B314 Clipper, by Planesimulation (for FSX) athttp://www.planesimulation.com/fsdownloads5/FSXa1x16.htmcompared to the Pilots version of the airplane (for FS9) athttp://secure.simmarket.com/product_info.p...products_id=209I believe these are currently the only two versions available? I have the Pilots (FS9) version and greatly enjoy it. I'm not qualified to write a review but there are several good ones available. I can find no reviews of the recently-released Planesimulation (FSX) model.My humble plea: does anyone here have experience with both planes, and a willingness to compare them? I haven't wanted the hassle and expense of going to FSX, downloading new planes & scenery, etc -- unless I'm really missing out on big improvements flying boat-wise.Eternal thanks to any kind soul......

Guest j-mo

Look at the size of the Planesimulation download: 637 kb. That should tell you plenty.

I agree....Mike Stone's B317 with a good freeware texture pack is bigger than 637K.Mike's B317 isn't too bad. Especially after a good tweaking of his .air file. It's too darn easy to fly and unrealistic with the stock flight dynamics. You HAVE to add Ken Mitchell's panel to Mike's B317. It is a GREAT panel. I begged Mitch to build it and he came through with a gem!I have a buddy who has the Pilots B317....quite good but you'll find Mitch's B317 panel for Mike's B317 is better.FaxCap

Guest Gander

Thanks both: you've given me some useful pointers.When fuel loads were so heavy they sometimes flew in ground effect at 25 feet or so for a quarter of an hour before burning off enough weight to begin their climb; when details as small as leaving engine cowling flaps open a tad too far could reduce their range enough they wouldn't make it across the ocean -- those old Clippers truly involved some aviating! Hope any other folks as fascinated by them as I am (but more technically capable) will post screenies and generally make this legendary old airplane's presence known.