Sign in to follow this  
Gdavis0101

A2A Boeing 377 Stratocruiser

If anyone has tried this yet please let us know if it's as good as it looks in the videos as well as how it performs on your system.CraigLian Li PC 65B CaseCorsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power SupplyPlextor PX-810SA/SW-BL DVD/CDGiagabyte GA-P35-DS3RCrucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)Arctic Freezer 7 ProIntel E6850 Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache @ 3.6 GHzEVGA 7950GT KO 512mb 169.21_forceware whqlSB Audigy2Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATASeagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATAWinXP Pro SP2

Guest JIMJAM

Man I am a vintage airplane nutt and own all the ShockWave,**,FlightReplicas,RealAir ect.If its old,loud and leaks oil, I will buy it.But I gotta say....Thats got to be one of the Ugliest:-badteeth planes ever designed!I am still thinking about it though. Not sure how paying extra for realism is going to be received.Seeing the $60 systems "lite" helis and $90 757 ports makes it seem like a good deal.At least you have that option.From my experience with their products and watching the videos, I do not think the performance will be bad at all.I am torn betreen this ugly ,aluminum smoker or the sleek modern Dynasty with the video game cockpit.If I get it, I will come back with a mini review.

Thanks MichaelCraigLian Li PC 65B CaseCorsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power SupplyPlextor PX-810SA/SW-BL DVD/CDGiagabyte GA-P35-DS3RCrucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)Arctic Freezer 7 ProIntel E6850 Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache @ 3.6 GHzEVGA 7950GT KO 512mb 169.21_forceware whqlSeagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATASeagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATAWinXP Pro SP2

Guest essoblue

It sure is an scaringly ugly aircraft but it looks to be a great package for retro fans. Personally, I have nightmares when I look at the shape of that fuselage!*:-*

Did you ever hear the story about the Strat that was turned into a bar (the kind where you go to drink and relax) over in Israel?I suppose it was one of the ex-IAF Stratocruisers, converted the fuselage into an Officer's Club.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest JIMJAM

I own everything you guys sell,well except lights but thats anther story.Now hurry up and get me my Thunderbolt for FSX!If I may say so, you did a great job of recreating the 377 in all its ugliness:-lol It actually makes the c-130 look sexy!The uglyist plane I ever flew in real life was the MU-2.Pilots and linemen would actually stare and ask, What the he** is that?It was as wide and it was long and in this case, ugly was more than skin deep.Dam plane nearly killed me.Keep up the good, I mean ugly work:-hah

Does the 377 simulation have both 2D and 3D cockpits? I realize many folks prefer the virtual cockit - I'm using WidevieW and multiple CPU's and screens - I need the 2D cockpit view. (I looked on the developer's website but didn't see anything.)Also, has anyone tried using it under FSX SP1? (The website states it was designed using SP2 and may not work correctly with SP1.)Thanks in advance,Gumps

Noel Wiebracht

--------------------

i7-2600K@4.8||Gigabyte P67A-UD7||8 Gb Mushkin Redline DDR3 1600||Gigabyte GTX580 x 2||Noctua NH-D14||Crucial SATAIII 256Gb x 2||CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W||Coolermaster RC-942 HAF X||Dell U3011 30"|Multiple Monitors w/TH2goD-DH2goD-Touchscreens||Win7 64 Pro||FSX Gold

Guest essoblue

Blade 124Please don't take it personally.(I know you didn't!) My remarks were aimed at the appearance of the aircraft itself, not the software pacakge The vid looked great and I was very well impressed with the presentation. I happen to like 'retro' aircraft and despite the nightmares ;-) I'm very tempted. :-). I once had a freeware version on my HDD. The shape might grow on me.Keep up the good work Tony

Guest crazyh

She's just a BIG B-29. I don't see anything ugly about her at all. My only concern is that the VC gauges and switches are mouse clickable.

Guest ICDP

Hi Crazyh,Regarding your question. Everything that needs to be clickable is clickable. You can also use the mousewheel to adjust and fine tune radio frequency knobs etc.To everyone on this thread,First off I should point out that I am part of the team that worked on the B377, I did the textures and normal maps (bumpmaps). So yes I am biased so I hope this doesn't come accross as an A2A promo :-)When I started researching this aircraft prior to painting, I thought this is one ugly bird, how can I motivate myself to enjoy painting this thing. I was wrong, I thouroughly enjoyed painting the Strat and by the end of it all I had a massive respect for the aircraft and the people who flew her and I just love how it looks. Remember this aircraft comes from an era when regular transatlantic flights were a new and potentially dangerous thing. The strat has character and was a true pioneer in aviation.With the accusim module set to on the Strat will take a lot of work to get running smoothly so there is lots of help from your crew in the way of prompts etc. You cannot just push the throttles to the stops on take-off and get away with it. Those massive radials require a lot of work to keep running at optimum. It is such a rewarding feeling when you get it all close to perfect and make it to 20,000ft without incident. For me the thought of knowing one mistake on engine management will have potentially fatal repercussions is a massive boost in immersion. Each engine is a seperate entity and has a life of its own. On one recent flight from Shannon airport to Heathrow I had been trying to keep ahead of an overheating engine 3 the whole way. To add to this drama engine 1 was having slight RPM fluctuations. I didn't even get the time to look at the external views or the scenery before I had to prep for landing :-)During development of the A2A strat we had invaluable input from a pilot who flew a variant of this aicraft and when he made a comment we listened. He advised on all areas from the FM and feel of the aircraft to the way the engines would behave and react to input. little things like the brake sounds and the condensation build up on the windows are modelled because they were part of the real thing. Someone posted a link to a thread about this release over on Sim-Outhouse. Some people there have never tried an A2A product and from what they are saying they rate the B377 as a first rate addon that raises the bar for realisim. Here is the link to the thread over on Sim-Outhouse again.http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/show...?threadid=75076

Guest JIMJAM

I am a real world 25yr pilot and simmer from the early days.That said....I broke down and bought the 337 and the accu thingie.Without even looking at the manuals ,flew a flight from KCAE to KCHS without incident.Thats about 100 miles.Coming back I added real weather which included severe thunderstorms and all I used for navigation was a vor.I wanted to track the loc to the runway as the vis was poor but I could not get it to work.I am either doing something wrong or its a bug.My crew provided some early warning,usually temps rising and I having a understanding and background in engines helped, but for those sitting on the fence worried its too comlex,do not worry.The 337 was running when I loaded it so you are not forced into a cold and dark start.I would suggest writing down or copying the basic procedures but I am proof you can fly the plane without destroying it without hours of groundschool.I would have Prefered a bomber,b17,b25 ect but I give A2A 5 stars for taking a chance on a long lost but important part of history.My only criticism is that the interior looks right off the showroom floor new. But then again, 1/2 of the customers would have complained if it was weathered.I hear rumors the P-47 was going to be released for FSX with this Accu sim treatment. Oh man oh man :-ukliam

:-) Yes, this is definitely a keeper for me. I have only been using it a few days but it has already become on of my favorites.Everything works smoothly and is visually stunning; from the external views through the many VC panels. My old single CPU P4/3GHz/2G/7600GT rig is always struggling to keep up with the texture loading demands of assorted 3rd party aircraft, mesh, terrain, weather, and environment add-on apps; but somehow these A2A guys get the job done. Just better coding I guess.I just have the basic B377 (not the Accu-Sim add on), and at $36.99, although costly, it is good value and worth it in my view. The sense of immersion and "real" flying is very good on this product, and is the result of thorough systems emulation, great sounds, and fluid, detailed visuals. Well done to A2A.It comes with a nice set of liveries and some clever pop-up transperancy screens that help you manage all of the "stuff" usually manned by a 4 person flight crew. Again, very clever, enjoy.Todd