Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Some amazing fsx things

I'm amazed by the quality of the landscape compared with previous editions. FSX seems like a great leap forward to me; it's a credit to the dedication and hard work of the ACES team, and bodes well for the future of the franchise. In previous editions of the sim I never used to fly low and slow because the landscape was so uninspiring, but in FSX GA is now my preferred option. I particularly like the DA Dornier Do-27 because of the terrific view I can get of the landscape. I think FS is really getting to an amazing place with FSX, and I can't wait to see what's in store next time.Mike.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191069.jpg

Mike Beckwith

Indeed the ground scenery is very good and can border on excellent with the right photo scenery(textures). I use the Dreamscapes Utah and Hawaii. These raise my addiction level. In the landclass world of FSX the deserts of Utah were bland and almost featureless. Now, with photo scenery, my neck hurts from looking out the window. Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yokeUTAHhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191070.jpgUTAHhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191071.jpgHAWAII - Old Ford Island Naval Airstationhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191073.jpgHAWAIIhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191074.jpg

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest essoblue

You still need 3rd party textures to get the best out of it as nudata illustrates. edited for spelling!

For me, FSX has a much more 'immersive' look and feel about it. It took me awhile to get used to but it seems that I can see for miles and miles and there is always something to look at.I've never bought a lot of addons so to me its nice to see the roads and all the lakes the way they are.I've also seen many cases where "Wow! theres the Cape May Lewes ferry" or whatever.When i was a kid we would take the Cape May Lewes ferry (between Lewes delaware and Cape May New Jersey) fairly often and i never knew that you could see Lewes from cape May if you just got up about a 1000 feet or so.Unfortunately I cant crank up the settings too much so i dont know how much I'm missing but I enjoy a good landscape with lots of trees that are laid out well. (FSG landclass helps that).The other day Iwas flying near KLWB and it was morning and the sun was lighting up the mountains. I love the way the shadows are done in FSX. It makes mornings and evenings even better.I've also gotten in the habit of looking at aerial maps (with windows live) of the area where my plane is currently located and then i'll look for airports near lakes or other water (or sometimes mountains -- whatever is interesting) and then i'll fly there in FSX.Its a FAR leap from the days when the ground was a solid block of green with white lines running across it.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I flew over my apartment and discovered that while the scenery is pretty generic (it's like MS put down a repeating pattern of wallpaper), the roads are actually accurate. I saw the Five Points thing North of me, and the irregular (not at 90 degrees) intersection South of me.

10290.jpg

generate-signature-new-2.php?login=USA1205

I'd attach a screen but you can find them yourself. :)In Moscow, Russia you can find these HYPERBOLIDE STRUCTURES --http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shukhov_Tower..and they are in FSXthey look pretty neat if you ask me. I discovered them while flying around Moscow in Vlad. Z.'s Mil-17 helicopter. ACES made quite a few custom objects for Moscow!RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest paulstalled

One of the most realistic comparison shots I've yet seen.Paul S.

The island of Kauai is quite amazing... The default FSX scenery there is very much like the real thing.:-)

Bert

Guest 413X3

wow that fsx shot is amazing, if you said it was a real life shot I would have believed you!

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread of things that are quite unusual ,unexpected, or amazing, in fsx.I was recently in Bar Harbor, Maine. A place I had seen on the map for years but only imagined. Upon return to home I had to fire it up in fsx and see how it matched. We happened to stay in a wonderful hotel in Bar Harbor and noticed that next door was a ferry/dock that had service to Nova Scotia-of course we would have never known this except for the fact we were next to it. I wish I had taken a picture but at the time I did not consider the dock that scenic.Just flew it in fsx and lo and behold:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191067.jpgNow I can locate exactly where the hotel was-but am also amazed that a detail like this in world wide scenery is there. Wonder if boats leave it on the rw schedule?I guess I could complain that the little island in Bar Harbor that has a spit you can cross to it when the tide is down -and then you are stranded for 8 hours if the tide comes up-fsx shows just the island in remarkable resemblance but does not have the tidal activities..Then again, I am simply amazed at the detail of this sim. Until a few weeks ago, I didn't even know a thing about Bar Harbor, let alone that there was a ferry dock in this location-now I know better-and it was in the sim all the time.If only now there were "numerous moose on the runway" that were notamed for the Bar Harbor airport by fss, along with the seagulls that got chopped up by the twin coming in while I was waiting for release upon leaving (actually that can be added pretty easily with instant scenery)..GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Looking the other way to the sunset shots, during the day this time. I managed to get a reasonably close match with today

Wow, I took that ferry from Nova Scotia back to Maine when I was probably 14 years old with my grandparents. Now I'm 36 and my grandparents are gone. :-( What I would give to go back and experience it again.Interesting to see nice little details in FSX. Thanks.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest ThrottleUp

Highmike & redline - those are amazing shots!! The landscape from the Dornier is great and the sunset comparisions are awesome. Can you imagine what FS20 is gonna look like lol.