Sign in to follow this  
aentwis

Grammar question

In this sentance: "I'm on level 100",Which is right "I'm on level 100" or "I'm on the level 100"?I would like to hear it from someone who knows 100% what's right! Or opinions at least ;)

Well, BOTH are correct, as in"I'm on top of the mountain" and"I'm on the top of the mountain"The first is generally accepted usage and the second (includes 'the') is the formal usage, much like using contractions such as "aren't" and "wasn't".Hope that makes sense :)VicVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Two people say, the is not used in this case, because 100 defines the sentance. And as the is basically defining article, its not needed.Others?

Guest magdrop

<Neither. Normal usage is to say "I am AT flight level 100."

Guest PARADISE

>Which is right "I'm on level 100" or "I'm on the level 100"?>"I'm,on the level,100""I'm on the level,100""I'm on,the level,100":-hmmm John M

It's not about FL.The sentance is with on "the" level...

Guest PARADISE

Are you presently partaking in a drinking contest, or is this " on the level"?:-) :-beerchug John M

Dude, someone wrote "my sex desire is on level 50", so i corrected him and said, the is missing. He is trying to persuade me that the is NOT missing.Do ya get it now? :)

Guest PARADISE

I gotcha now.I think the correct way would be, " my sex desire is AT level 50 ". But my Momma taught me to never ever argue politics, religion and SEX with strangers. So I'm out'ta this one.:-) John M

Guest airbus2

>Dude, someone wrote "my sex desire is on level 50"1)my sex desire is on level 50 or2)my sex desire is on the level 50The 1st option sounds better to me. The second just does not sound right, like somone saying, when refering to a PC game for example"i am on THE level 25" instead of saying "im on level 25"To get technical, The is an artical, which is a word that combines with a noun to indicate the type of reference being made by the noun. In English, 'the' as a definate artical, infact the only one, a definate artical is a word used before nouns that refer to a particular member of a group.eg. The cat sat on the mat.So the, in a technically correct sentance is only used before a noun, such as the monsterthe boeingthe airbusthe avsim forums etcThere are other rules, somtimes the is used infront on other words.more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TheRegardsDave

Guest mikevanisland

I'm still trying to nail the context of the real conversation!But..."level 50" is itself a noun. Perhaps a clearer way to convey this odd thing is to say one uses "the" when there is further specification or no possible specification, and not when the noun that the article "the" refers to contains the specification.Thus: "I am on *the* level that has that big, green monster."And: "I am on the level that comes after the swordfight."But: "I am on level 50." Yet: "I am on the level."Hope this helps somewhat,Cheers

>Dude, someone wrote "my sex desire is on level 50", so i>corrected him and said, the is missing. He is trying to>persuade me that the is NOT missing.>>Do ya get it now? :)Okay, it's time for me to comment. Before I do so, I've been teaching this stuff at the university level for decades (just administered a final exam yesterday, in fact), so I've got a pretty good handle on grammar, vocabulary, and so on. :-)Anyway, the other person is correct; there is no need for the article. As someone else has pointed out, "the" is a definite article, a word that is used to make nouns in English definite. Without going into a long explanation, "level 50" is used generically, so the definite article is inappropriate in this context.As an aside, the rules involving the use of articles, both definite and indefinite, are complex and remain one of the hardest things to learn for English as a second language learners. If you want to investigate further, for a good explanation of articles, I recommend Practical English Usage, by Michael Swan. More information about the text can be found here:Cheers!Joel

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

>>Dude, someone wrote "my sex desire is on level 50", so i>>corrected him and said, the is missing. He is trying to>>persuade me that the is NOT missing.>>>>Do ya get it now? :)>>Okay, it's time for me to comment. Before I do so, I've been>teaching this stuff at the university level for decades (just>administered a final exam yesterday, in fact), so I've got a>pretty good handle on grammar, vocabulary, and so on. :-)>>Anyway, the other person is correct; there is no need for the>article. As someone else has pointed out, "the" is a definite>article, a word that is used to make nouns in English>definite. Without going into a long explanation, "level 50">is used generically, so the definite article is inappropriate>in this context.>>As an aside, the rules involving the use of articles, both>definite and indefinite, are complex and remain one of the>hardest things to learn for English as a second language>learners. If you want to investigate further, for a good>explanation of articles, I recommend Practical English Usage,>by Michael Swan. More information about the text can be found>here:>>>>Cheers!>>JoelAs another English teacher, 14 years now, I'd just like add that Joel is absolutely correct. I also agree with his recommendation regarding Michael Swan - used by many of my peers to deal with the trickier questions we're asked.Best regards Joel!

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

"I'm on level 100" is correct. 100 defines the level, so inclusion of the definite article is unnecessary...AndrewEDIT: Removed most of my post... I must remind myself to read the whole thread before commenting! :-)