Sign in to follow this  
Guest D17S

Can't get back to Full Screen mode...

I am new to FSX. I seem to be able to get to windowed mode by pressing Alt-Enter. Then, when I try to get BACK to full screen mode by re-pressing Alt-Enter, usually FSX locks up. Occasionally it seems to work correctly, but I cannot seem to get this toggle keystroke to work correctly. I have the latest video drivers. Anyone know what I am doing wrong? (I need to exit to the desk top periodically so I can turn on other FSX related programs I intend to purchase, so leaving the program & returning is a must for me)Thanks,Chris Catalano

Guest D17S

Also, make both windows and FS are set at your monitor's default resolution. FS hates to change resolutions away from a windows/monitor default. It will throw a tantrum.

Guest D17S

Also, make both windows and FS are set at your monitor's default resolution. FS hates to change resolutions away from a windows/monitor default. It will throw a tantrum.oops

Are you changing the priority settings under task manager? If so try leaving it at default(normal)regards,Chris

Guest JIMJAM

I have been fighting various simular probems for so long that I am accustomed to it.Last night after a incredible hour long flight in the Shcokwave B-17,I hit ESC when my phone rang. I was on short final. After the call I click resume flight.Yup, black screen with nothing I do making any difference. Hit ESC and saw the menu. I hit resume flight again and BAM.CTD:-mad With a "simple" SP1,SP2 install, I usually do not get many CTDs either through the menus,exiting full screen or making in flight changes.Sometimes going into full screen, it will go black and nothing I do matters. Eventually after various amounts of time, the screen wil load.However, I do not get much aa/af. The horizon,runways,taxiways,any srtaigh lines are jagged.Nhancer- This was hailed as being the solution and I though it was.I was able to get the best picture I ever had and could see a direct result of changes made from within its menu.That said, if I try to alt enter, bye bye FSX.I get a CTD with the FSX must close message.In flight, its 50/50 if I use the menus if the sim will freeze.Even something as simple as changing planes,time or reloading the screen can result in aa CTD or the black screen of death.BTW- From that blackscreen I can hit ESC and "usually: be able to use the box to choose exit flight and make it back to the main screen.I have tried every known driver,settings combination,tweak,black magic and every miracle cure I ve seen posted.I also found during my googling that there are ALOT of us Nvidia,usually 8800 series users with simular impossible to cure problems.I have been putting off a rebuild which I hope FSX will decide is worthy of it running until the next gen of proccessors is out.Good LuckXP SP2,Asus M2N32 DELUXE,2 GIGS Kingston HyperX,BFG 512 8800GT

Now I am even more confused...What do you mean "have focus on" the FSX window? Focus? I am only usually running one program, and am just trying to see if I can even GET to the desktop and back.Also, what do you all mean when you say your monitor's DEFAULT resolution? Do you mean that the FS settings should be the same as the ones I have my desktop set for? So for example, should my desktop AND the FSX resolution BOTH be set for 1024 X 768? Lastly, I am not sure about priority in the task manager, because I am not usually running anything else that shows up in the task manager, so how can I make it a top priority?Thank you everyone. I wish I understood a bit more what you all meant. Sorry.Chris Catalano

Guest JoeInCT

>Now I am even more confused...>What do you mean "have focus on" the FSX window? Focus? I am>only usually running one program, and am just trying to see if>I can even GET to the desktop and back.>You can make sure the FSX window has focus by clicking on it. I usually click on the aircraft's window (the clear part through which you see the scenery and horizon) since I know there are no "hot spots" associated with it. You can also tell if your main window has focus by clicking the + and - keys to try to change the zoom. If + and - does not zoom in and out, then that main window does not have "focus" and some other window or thing is getting the + and - keys (like a radio or something).>Also, what do you all mean when you say your monitor's DEFAULT>resolution? Do you mean that the FS settings should be the>same as the ones I have my desktop set for? So for example,>should my desktop AND the FSX resolution BOTH be set for 1024>X 768? Yes. You can check your Windows default resolution before starting FSX by right clicking on the desktop. It should match the resolution in FSX by starting FSX and looking at the display settings within FSX. Check to see that not only the resolution matches, but also the color depth (16 vs 32) matches etc. For example 1024x768x32.Joe

Hmmm, I have an Nvidia 8800GTX since the pre FSX days. It has never given me a problem except when I tried to use the latest NVidia Drivers #175.19 and I know that other users have reverted to the drivers that I use #169.21. However, your symptoms suggest something other your graphics card. Have you checked your memory and computer temps recently?

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

I have the same video card as you. I just got a brand new computer, really powerful. It runs FSX well. So I don't think it is a memory problem. It only seems to be a problem getting back into full screen mode. There are basically no computer temps to speak of, as the computer is only days old.Hmmmm....Chris Catalano

Guest JIMJAM

I gave up some time ago.Nvidia says it is NOT a driver issue and Aces says its Nvidia's fault.Those with simular setups with no problems blame you.I say they are simply lucky.Alot of people are a he** of alot smarter than me have not figured it out and its been a problem for some time.All I can say for sure is in my case, Nhancer was causing CTDs. I tried numerous driver versions,settings and noticed adding pos bias to keep down shimmering,garbled text and tool tips.I am at the point where I just accept the fact that if I access the menus in flight or go to my desktop, I stand a good chance of getting a CTD.The chance of CTD is directly proportional to the fun I am having and the proximity to the destination airport.

To avoid this whole issue and to quite wasting time with it, just fly in Windowed Mode/Maximized. Yes, there will be a little bar that says Microsoft Flight Simulator X across the top, but with some editing in Windows, even that can be made smaller, so that you stop noticing it after awhile. Makes it a lot easier switching to other programs as well!!Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest JIMJAM

Yeah but I will get NO aa/af and its ugly.Even at 1920x1080, the straight line jaggies are bad.Taxi lines are actually moving. Water reflections at low 2x can cause hallucinations.With full screen, only the runways,taxiways and other straight lines could use some help but its not bad.For someone who is a tweekaholic,this would drive them insane.Ive mellowed with age and have grown tired of fighting with FSX.Its the only "game" I have left on my PC.All my shooters,adventure games,racing sims ect are now ran on my PS3.I bought the a2a 337 tonight and it reminds me why I put myself through all this BS.

ChrisSounds like you have Vista. If that is the case, Vista may not like switching views much. I don't have trouble with ALT+Enter, but Alt+Tab is a killer. Even if your computer is new, make sure you have all the updates and do some house cleanning. There are some video driver issues for some of us. I have the latest drivers, but may back up a notch or two soon.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.