Sign in to follow this  
Guest PH-MAC

..::Blurred VC textures and distorted menu text::..

Guest PH-MAC

Hi,..I really need some help with this cause I just can't figure it out myself... Since I formatted my pc and did a fresh install of Vista and FSX I am having this weird texture problem. Every now and then during a flight the VC textures get all blurrie. Also the text on the tool bar and menus is completely distorted. It happens without a warning and without pattern. I can't really say that it is triggered by a heavy demand from my 8800 GTS.Before the new install everything worked fine (FSX, Acceleration, FEX, GEX, UTX) and I'm using the same graphics settings.On the web I found a suggestion to uninstall and downgrade the Nvidia drivers (from 175.19 -> 169.35) but this didn't solve the problem.Modifying the "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024" in FSX didn't work either.Does anybody have a suggestion what else i can try???thanks a million in advance...

There is a quick thing to try. Go to: Settings - Customize - GraphicsOn that panel move the Global Texture Resolution slider to Very High. This has solved blurry VC for lots of folks. If it don't work for you, no harm done in the attempt.Phill

Is it possible that your video card is overheating?Try taking the cover off your PC, blow out the dust on the video card and make sure the fan is spinning up properly.

Bert

Guest paulstalled

Hello,I took off from KCEF with my new SkyUnlimited Flight Replica ME-262.It was just a free flight, as I was traveling SW towards Long Island.All was well until I decided to fly 10k over Manhatten.The same type problem - everything blurred up. Then, when I tried to use the menu bar, the labels were faded out.Huh!I did another flight the same way(and plane)and everything was fine - no blurriness or menu probs.I better check my card's temp under such loads, and see(thanks Bert- I'll let everyone know when I get my results.Paul S.

Guest AlanStirling

i'd like to subscribe to this topic in the hope someone comes up with a solution. My version of the problem is slightly different ... my VC textures are fine but the ground scenery textures go blurry as does the menu lettering. The other day i got weird green spiking as a bonus ...Alan

Guest Alan van der Vyver

I too have had this problem start occurring recently. I can't pinpoint what is causing it, but since it affects the video display, I assumed it was a problem with the video card or driver. I too have an nVidia 8800 GTS. My whole system runs so cool though, I have difficulty believing it is due to the video card overheating.I have noticed a massive increase in the use of virtual memory (in my case, roughly 7 GB) when this occurs. The memory does not seem to be associated with any process I can identify. It certainly is not FSX or ActiveSky. This suggest to me that a device driver is causing it. It thus appears to be the operating system itself that is using the memory.I think the problem is being caused by the exhaustion of system virtual memory, but I don't know what is causing that or how to stop it. It could be the video driver or it could be something else. It is definitely something associated with FSX though, because although the memory is not directly allocated by FSX, the operating system releases it as soon as FSX is closed.I hope this information helps someone come up with a solution.regards,Alan.

Guest PH-MAC

Hi all,thanks for your replies. I will test your suggestions this evening (cleaning graphics card and adjust Texture res.).I'm noticing the same increase in virtual memory demand. On some occasions FSC completely crashed with an 'Insufficient Memory' message when I continued flying with blurry textures and the spikes.

Guest PH-MAC

I'm 'glad'i'm not the only one with this problem...I'm sure there is a solution somewhere...

If you are getting the Insufficient Memory message, the question becomes whether you are already using the /3GB address space switch in your boot.ini.Maybe finding the underlying cause is the better remedy, but if you are bumping up against the 2 GB limit, it can help.

Bert

Guest Alan van der Vyver

Based on what I am seeing, I believe the problem is one of:1. Something running within the FSX process is using massive amounts of memory and not releasing any.2. Some add-on is activating a latent defect in FSX or the video driver and causing them to use all the memory.3. The latest nVidia driver has a bug that causes this behaviour, possibly only on some board models or when confronted with conditions caused by one of the following applicatons.Between the regularly working and regularly failing states, I recall:1. Installing Ground Environment X2. South African vectors3. Updating FSGenesis mesh for parts of the USASince I have not been flying in the USA recently I don't think 3 is a likely culprit. I also have strong doubts about 1 or 2 being the cause.4. Updating Flight Environment X to the high definition texturesI could imagine this being a problem and would be interested to know if any of the others with problems have installed this.5. Updated the nVidia driver to the latest version (175.something). I suspected 5 might be a problem and tried to revert to an earlier version, but I think it does not completely revert when installing one of the older versions and I had installed it too long ago to get back with a system restore.Something else that makes me suspect the driver is that I have found that my problem goes away when I switch to DX10 preview mode. I then have some problems with flashing textures and the driver occasionally crashes completely and sometimes partly recovers, but on balance it is better than regularly losing texture details after a few minutes of flight.It really would be nice if nVidia could produce a capable and stable driver, but that seems to be completely beyond their ability.I would be interested to know if anyone else with this problem has an overlap with the installed products or has the problem go away in DX10 preview mode.regards,Alan.

Guest AlanStirling

I too have gradually come round to believing this to be a driver issue but from a totally different perspective from yourself Alan ... because ... since i installed Nhancer several days ago i haven't had a single instance of the problem, which before was happening every time i fired up the sim and about 20 minutes in. Given that this utility is a kind of driver interface hence my conclusion. I, being a novice in these matters can offer no technical reason for what is going on, nor can i claim to have found a Universal cure by the back door, all i can say is it works for me!Here are my specs: Asus P5K/Epu M/boardIntel Core2 Duo E6750GeForce 9600GT running 177.66 drivers from Guru3D site2GB Crucial DDR2 RamWin XP Home SP2Alan

Guest PH-MAC

>1. Something running within the FSX process is using massive >amounts of memory and not releasing any.>2. Some add-on is activating a latent defect in FSX or the video >driver and causing them to use all the memory.I agree,..and I suspect GEX and/ or UTX>3. The latest nVidia driver has a bug that causes this behaviour, >possibly only on some board models or when confronted with >conditions caused by one of the following applicatons.Yup...sounds familiar. I'm 100% sure the 169.xx driver can't be the problem. It worked for me before. After i 'upgraded' and installed the 175.xx driver problems started. I went back to the 169.xx but the problems remained...(seems like something didn't uninstall properly when i removed the 175.xx driver)>4. Updating Flight Environment X to the high definition textures>I could imagine this being a problem and would be interested to >know if any of the others with problems have installed this.The problem didn't occur when I upgraded to FEX HD. So for me this seems unlikely to be causing it.