Sign in to follow this  
thrakete

Another Glitch-FSX " iFly-747-400"

The system detail in this model is awesome, but it's like having to learn Flight Simulator over again from a cold start.When I enter any airport in the "Route" page (KLAX for example), I get an error message "Not in Data Base". Just looking at the database properties, it appears not much of anything is in the iFly data base. Anyone else operating this model having a similar problem, or am I missing some data here? One thought that has occurred but I haven't checked out is that I need to use SID/STAR data for the Flight Plan. I have re-downloaded the whole package from this site, then un-installed/re-installed the model. No change. :(Note: FSX SP1/SP2, Vista SP1.Regards,Thrakete

Found a solution from a 2007 post and long discussion on another subject, right at the bottom of the thread (luck). The problem had been encountered before and had been solved by turning off UAC. This also worked for me. Another Vista gremlin! However, also tried running FSX in Administrator mode and this did the job just as well without any security changes. :9Just for info, this is the third Vista caused issue in 3 different programs that I have gotten around by using the "Run as Adminstrator" function.Thanks to those who read the post. Regards,Thrakete

I find I'm struggling with UAC every day, in fact UAC is now my prime suspect when something goes wrong. Another solution which you may not yet have found is to provide yourself with special read/write access permission by right clicking on the file or folder, selecting properties from the menu and hitting the Security tab. From here you can edit the access which the different users have to the particular file or folder.They'll have to do some serious rethinking of this security feature in the next edition of Windows if users have any say in it.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest UlfB

Mike,My best advice to you: Just turn UAC off!And turn DEP and Defender off as well!No problems at all after these very simple changes!Ulf B

I guess you're right Ulf. I am the only user of my computer, so it's not as if it's exposed to a risk of any sort. But I hate seeing that big red security symbol in the system tray. How can I get rid of that?Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest UlfB

Mike,There where so many changes that I made to make the Vista GUI and services behave nicely. This warning icon on the system tray...I guess that it's a setting in the Windows Security Center (found in Control Panel). I turned the Windows Security Center off.Ulf B

Thanks for the advice, Ulf. I'll look into it.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest UlfB

Mike,I might add that my pc is well protected. It's behind a router with firewall and I use NOD32 Antivirus.Ulf B

You are probably right, and I have considered turning UAC off permanently several times.However, my printer/scanner has a rather elaborate program that is integrated with the drivers. The printer manufacturer can download updates automatically, and frequently does. (This situation is probably because I missed one of the feature "check boxes" during installation of the printer.)Some of these "updates" turn out to be nuisance-ware, and UAC blocks their installation until I can sort them out and reject them.Because of that sort of thing, I will probably keep UAC and use the "Run as Administrator" option for now.However, thanks for the input.Regards,Thrakete

Ulf B.,Just an info item:My printer/scanner program states that it will automatically download, but not install any updates "without your permission". However, I tried turning UAC off in lieu of utilizing the "Run as Administrator" mode I have been using to to start FSX when I intend to use the IFly 747. The Result: Immediately after the required restart, an update installed itself (so rapidly I barely noticed the flash) without any further action on my part, and I lost the ability to print out FSX flight plans. I used Restore to get things back to normal.It now appears to me that turning UAC off is construed as permission to install software without interfacing with or informing the computer administrator. That bothers me, as I don't know what else may self-install while I am not looking.I realize this may be a unique situation, but after that experience I went back to "Run as Administrator" for FSX/iFly operation, and UAC stays on.The point is that, though a pain in the neck (or lower) which causes frequent problems,, UAC apparently protects your computer against things other than unwanted network tinkering or someone else using your keyboard.Regards,Thrakete

Guest UlfB

Thrakete,Sorry to here about the automatic update of the printer drivers. Is there no way of turning that feature off? You could contact the support and find out.Ulf B

Ulf B.I'm not even sure it was a driver, since no restart was required. Strangely, it only affected printing the FSX Flight Plans-everything else printed normally. I had that identical problem at one time while using XP.I could contact the printer people, but this action seems to be directly related to turning off UAC. Turning UAC back on solves the problem. As such, it may very well be another Vista glitch, and therefore not be limited to the printer/scanner. What really concerns me is that disabling UAC may allow other software from the net to install on my computer without my knowledge. In this present case, I can still leave UAC on and use "Run as Administrator" to run FSX with the iFly 747, so that is not really an inconvenience. I am also looking at the possibility of moving the iFly navigation data base outside the program folder (along with a path change of course). That might make the whole issue go away.In addition, just for insurance, I am going to turn on automatic daily early morning restore points for Vista.Thanks.Regards,Thrakete