Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Blue Angels crash.

Guest Dodge-Charger

I just saw on CNN that one of the Blue Angels has crashed in Beaufort, South Carolina during an airshow and it was confirmed that the pilot was killed in the crash.

Guest jbinner

As some might be aware, I am from Hilton Head Is, SC, and the Beaufort, SC air show every three years has always been a "homecoming" of sorts for me. Today was no different. Here is a first-hand account of what happened.The entire day went well, including the first 35 mins of the Blue's show. The show at MCAS Beaufort, SC uses runway 14/32. On their final maneuver they exit the show-box to the rear, toward Laurel Bay Military Housing, reform as a group of 6, and make a right hand turn to come around for break and landing on Runway 14.During this rejoin, all was looking ok. Suddenly several of my friends attending with me noticed a black plume of smoke behind us. I turned, saw FIVE jets continuing with the smoke behind them.All 5 returned around, did their brake, and lined for landing. Lead Angel #1 then peeled off, headed back for the plume of smoke, and began circling. He then turned on smoke as a marker. Several minutes later, a Coast Guard helo, also there as a static display, cleared their area, started, and took off for the crash site.Based on local news from wsav.com (also on the web for more local news), the pilot has died, impacting two homes on the ground. The jet was Angel #6, the opposing solo. I verified this first hand as they came in and 1 through 5 landed without incident.This is all I know as of now. I don't think it has quite sunk in for me yet as this is something I really did not want to add to my personal life experiences. Please join me in praying for not only the pilot's family, but the Blue Angels, Navy and Marine Corps as a whole.For local news sites:WSAV NBC TV, www.wsav.com (they were covering live from the show)Beaufort Gazette Newspaper www.beaufortgazette.com (local newspaper)Thanks,

Very sad. I'm sorry to hear about this and will remember all the pilot and the whole team in my prayers tonight.KP

Guest BrianFletcher

What a horrific incident. I have refueled these birds on many occasions and met a number of Blue Angels pilots over the years. I will indeed join you in praying for this elite pilot, his family, and all those who put there lives in jeopardy to entertain us in the sky.

What a horrible thing-I just got an email that the pilot killed was a former Cap cadet.What a sad event-and I bet the pilot didn't eject since he was over a populated area. I have seen them perform countless times-I can't imagine what is was to witness this firsthand...and I can't imagine what the other team members felt coming back to land after seeing this...Pit in the stomach to lose one of the finest..http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg