Sign in to follow this  
Guest essoblue

FSUIPC, worth the price?

Guest 413X3

I just had a mini stroke, 44 american bucks for FSUIPC v4 for FSX. I purchased the FS9 version a long time ago and will no doubt buy it for FSX but why is it so much money? Is it worth it?? I do want to thank Pete for all his great work for the sim, so the money definitely goes to a good causeThanks-Alex

I use FSUIPC mainly for its aircraft specific programming functions and find that it is worth EVERY PENNY spent on the purchase. It's a very powerful addon if you delve into its full capabilities.

HelloI agree, the new mouse macro's are a stroke of geniusThey have enabled me to use my Goflight modules with ALL of my third party aircraft, something Goflight themselves could not manage to do.

>I just had a mini stroke, 44 american bucks for FSUIPC v4 for>FSX. I purchased the FS9 version a long time ago and will no>doubt buy it for FSX but why is it so much money? Is it worth>it?? I do want to thank Pete for all his great work for the>sim, so the money definitely goes to a good cause>>Thanks>-AlexDefinately worth the price. I use it for calibrating my dual Saitekthrottle quadrants and assign keystrokes for various plane-specificfunctions. Having the ability to have multiple .ini files and theplane-specific assignments is a big plus.I also find the auto-save function to be very useful, especially if FSX tends to crash/lockup, etc on long flights. With autosave youcan resume from the last autosave point after a re-boot/re-load.Also, Pete Dowson has got to be one of the most 'involved' authorsof a utility that I've seen. He is constantly monitoring and replyingto questions in his forum and also releasing updates/improvementsat a pace that is phenominal! He earns every bit of the price hecharges for his product, IMO. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest TPT82

I recommend purchasing FSUIPC. It is well worth the price. Thanks to FSUIPC. I am able to set FSX and FS9 (two seperate purchases of FSUIPC)up similar to a real Cessna. I use Desktop Aviator hardware modules for Mags, Master, throttles, trim, and switches. All of my buttons, switches, and axis' are set up through FSUIPC. I have different set ups for different aircraft. It is very easy to reconfigure.The most useful feature of FSUIPC is GPS training. I attach my real world Airmap 500 to my Sim yoke (it mounts exactly like it does on a real airplane). I hook the GPS to a serial port, and my Airmap behaves exactly as it does in the air. I have learned to use many more features now that I can stop the sim in midflight and try different settings. Obiously that is a difficult trick when really in the air :) I can even zip through the E6B features now.Nick

I don't agree. There comes a cost point that has dimishing returns. At 44 bucks he's well beyond it. He has many people over a barrel, in need of this CO_PRODUCT. But I don't buy other software that demands it anymore and for just that reason (added cost of $44).While the very avid still use it, you don't hear all that much about it anymore. I think that's because of the high cost.When this small utility costs almost as much as the sim itself, that's too much !!!Bob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)

Guest Paul Heaney

No addon should cost as much as the sim itself, Including PMDG. BUt that's the way the world works, people are money grabbers, and as long as the public move along as sheep, and keep them going, it's going to continue.

Well, for me, I highly disagree. I have many add-ons that cost more than FSX itself. I see FSX as the 'base package' and I will, and have, literally spenT hundreds (thousands is more like it) on add-ons.I purchase FSUIPC, not as much for it's usefulness, but as a gesture back to Pete who has given so much to the community, and he has been doing it for a long long time. You can take advantage of the freeware version if you like, and as it is necessary to run many add-on FS products. I think the free version has always been a very generous offer considering the time it has taken to develop a tool which has allowed the development of most all third party add-ons, payware or freeware.Thus, the money I spend on the registered version is, more than anything, done out of respect. That said, I do use it's functions, and find it highly desirable.

Or could it be that MSFS is grossly underpriced for what it does but can be sold this way due to its huge volume of sales and the addins are fairly priced taking their time ratio to produce and their volume of sales.Just look at "On top" and "elite" sims that sell for many times the price of fs. In my case I prefer fs.Imho it is a moot point anyway since the market drives price-not sheep.A person produces a product and charges a price which makes it worth it to them to make the product. The market responds either by buying it or passing it up. The producer adjusts their price accordingly or goes out of business.I'd prefer this scenerio to prevail, rather than not having any add ons available.GeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Agree completely with you and blave.Let the free market rule. If you don't like the price...don't buy it. Simple as that.bt

Guest jshyluk

Then, too, it's not like Peter Dowson throws FSUIPC out onto the market and then never bothers to revise or update it. There is a dollar value involved in keeping Mr. Dowson at the forefront of FSX hobby technology.Also recall that there is a segment of FSX users for whom money is no object. $45 is relative, regarding how you spend your money. FSUIPC is small, but it does have a lot of features. The free version is an excellent utility for a very wide range of FSX users. The registered version is aimed at people with complicated hardware needs, or for those who want to tweak very specific aspects of their sim. I've seen add-ons that do less and cost more.However, the original question, stripped of drama, remains: is FSUIPC worth the price? I would say that depends on the individual user. I can point out that Peter Dowson won a personal AVSIM Gold Star of Excellence. AVSIM does not give those out easily. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

>I don't agree. There comes a cost point that has dimishing>returns. At 44 bucks he's well beyond it. He has many people>over a barrel, in need of this CO_PRODUCT. But I don't buy>other software that demands it anymore and for just that>reason (added cost of $44).Bob, if there's any addon product freeware or payware that requires a registered version of FSUIPC, it will be the first one of which I've ever heard... :-eek Every payware addon developer that requires more than the basic FSUIPC functionality has also licensed a key for their product that will unlock the "unlicensed FSUIPC" to function for that one product.The only time anyone would ever need to purchase their own, personal "registered copy" of FSUIPC would be those who wish to use the hundreds of "extra features" that're unavailable in the unregistered version... :-cool

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well said Geofa!But "over a barrel", "small utility", and the likes of "Money grabbers" are phrases totally out of place relative to the contributions of the developer in question and the vast majority of others. There is shame here, but I don't think it lies in the hanger that it addresses. (Don't mean to imply that Gofa made these comments in any way).With gas at $4.00 per gallon (Av Gas @ $6.00 or more), $44.00 for this utility should be an insignificant bargin for anyone who really enjoys FlightSim and desires all that Peter's fine program offers.One man's opinion, and I hope that it is more respectful than some of the replies that show up in threads such as this one.Happy flying:RTH

Bill..You may be right.I just found this on his website. It was not very easy to find."It is an essential ingredient in many add-on FS programs, and, in fact, may be installed on your system by any one or more of them already. For many such programs you do not need to actually purchase FSUIPC. That deal, for their access, WILL OFTEN have been already done by the add-on program makers.What does "WILL OFTEN" mean and when do you find this out after buying somebody elses product? Does this come aa an additional $44 surprise ?I still wonder !!! Bob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)

>What does "WILL OFTEN" mean and when do you find this out>after buying somebody elses product? Does this come aa an>additional $44 surprise ?>>I still wonder !!! Bob, as I said previously, if there are any such vendors who haven't purchased a FSUIPC license key for their product, it will be the first of which I've ever heard.My best advice though in case of any "doubt," is to simply ask the vendor if they have purchased a license key! ;)Keep in mind though that the purchase of a personal license for FSUIPC is a one-time, lifetime expense.Any and all upgrades and fixes are absolutely free of charge to the registered user. ;)IMHO, FSUIPC is a virtual "Swiss Army Knife" utility that will do so much besides it's basic function as an interface, that it's well worth the one-time expense.I spent $300+ for a putter that I use far less than I ever have used FSUIPC! :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator