Sign in to follow this  
thrakete

FSX IFly 747 and bugs

Is anyone operating the iFly 747-400 using Vista SP1 and FSX SP1/SP2, and finding that it behaves rationally?I (finally) have it working in the "sit back and watch it fly itself" mode, and it is an impressive model, outstanding for freeware. However, I have had to use almost all the bug work-arounds I have picked up in the last ten years to get and keep it functioning, and am not sure I can repeat my last procedure. Examples are:1. FSX has to be run with UAC off, or loaded in the "Run as Administrator" mode, or the nav data is not accessable. Both modes work, but each seems to create other minor problems.2. I have a great deal of trouble getting the engines started using the included pre-flight check list, so usually just tinker with the overhead panel until they crank up.3. I have yet to figure out how to get the standard ATC system to recognize the on board flight plan for communication or taxiing on the ground. Once off the ground, ATC works O.K.4. The manual states that GPS navigation is primary, and VOR to VOR is secondary. The inertial system is a last resort, but it must be functioning unless you want to fly without an autopilot. (At the edge of the Mach envelope at high altitudes, this is a real challenge). However, I can't seem to find any way of tracking the GPS route while in flight-I only see the Inertial System on the map display, and it always displays three opinions as to where the airplane might be because of the triple redundant gyro based units.I don't dare try to change the fuel system configuration in flight because the valves seem to be limited to one change of position, they cannot be changed back. I found a clumsy way around this, but it only works part of the time, and involves loading another default aircraft, then switching back to the iFly model.I think most of my problems are Vista related, so comments on how the model performs using other operating systems will probably not be applicable. I don't want to turn UAC off, because I have found that allows my peripherals to install updates etc. without my knowing what they are.I know the PDMG model is supposed to be better, and the price, though steep, can be handled. However, the challenge of getting the IFly model to function properly is half the fun. I would very much like to hear from others using the Vista system and the FSX IFly 747.Regards,Thrakete

Thrakete,You could try providing special permissions for both you and the TrustedInstaller which would get around having to run FSX as administrator. Right click on any of the folders which the AC needs access to, select properties from the menu and hit the Security tab. From there you can edit the permissions list.I find this is better than disabling UAC or running everything as administrator, and I've now got a patchwork of files and folders with the permissions which each require.Good luck.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Thanks Mike.I have never used Special permissions and the TrustedInstaller with Vista, and in fact did not know the latter even existed. Turning off UAC and "Run as Administrator" both cause some known minor problems in my system that it would be nice to get around, and they could be behind some of the items I am now classifying as "bugs".I will give this a try.Regards,Thrakete

Just for the sake of clarity let me point out that the Trusted Installer is just one of the groups of users listed on the permissions list. There's the Creator Owner, the System, the Administrator, each User by name, and the Trusted Installer who I assume is the program which needs access to the particular file or folder.You'll see when you go to edit the permissions list.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Well from the lack of inputs, I can only assume that few people are having much success with the FSX version of the iFly 747-400 when using FSX SP1/SP2 and Vista SP1.I've put about a week of spare time into it, and am still getting erratic and unpredictable results. Mine works properly about one time in five while following the same exact set-up procedures, so time to wait for an update I guess.I still want to thank the developers for putting in the time to produce such an elaborate Free Ware product. One big improvement would be to include just one step-by-step demonstration flight from a cold start to arrival and landing at a destination. They have a contact address and I am going to E-Mail them to suggest this.I hope they will eventually come out with and update that can outwit Vista SP1.Regards,Thrakete

Guest SkullxBones

>Well from the lack of inputs, I can only assume that few>people are having much success with the FSX version of the>iFly 747-400 when using FSX SP1/SP2 and Vista SP1.I think the trouble is most people that tried the IFLY747 moved on to the PMDG747 and have either forgotten how to fix the problems you list or just gave up.

SkullxBones,Sounds reasonable. Maybe the Vista compatibility problems can only be fixed by the developer.I have come up with another couple of ideas on what is creating the problems that I want to look at before I give up on it completely though, in spite of what I said in my last post. It's the challenge more than anything else. The PMDG 747 price is not a problem for me, as I don't spend much on other entertainment. It's just a matter of how long it would hold my interest once operation of it became routine. Besides, I have printed out the phone-book-sized iFly manual, and would not look forward to doing that again for the PMDG. ;-)Thanks for the reply.Regards,Thrakete

Hi all y'all,If you scroll waaaaayy down the freeware group list here on AVSIM, you'll find a iFly group. >Is anyone operating the iFly 747-400 using Vista SP1 and FSX>SP1/SP2, and finding that it behaves rationally?I beta tested Vista with FS and it was as disaster. However, many of your bugs are known....>I (finally) have it working in the "sit back and watch it fly>itself" mode, and it is an impressive model, outstanding for>freeware. However, I have had to use almost all the bug>work-arounds I have picked up in the last ten years to get and>keep it functioning, and am not sure I can repeat my last>procedure.> >Examples are:>>1. FSX has to be run with UAC off, or loaded in the "Run as>Administrator" mode, or the nav data is not accessable. Both>modes work, but each seems to create other minor problems.Terry at planepath.com provides AIRAC info for iFly, on the regular update cycle. I think if you set the folders you need to TrustedInstaller (that may not be the right name, but it's close) the program will at least have access to its data.>2. I have a great deal of trouble getting the engines started>using the included pre-flight check list, so usually just>tinker with the overhead panel until they crank up.Yes. Even if you follow the PMDG checklist, there is a problem in the pneumatic logic that keeps the a/c from starting consistently. The developers were emailed about this a year or a little more ago.>3. I have yet to figure out how to get the standard ATC system>to recognize the on board flight plan for communication or>taxiing on the ground. Once off the ground, ATC works O.K.I always have to make the FSX flight plan the same as the iFly FMC flight plan (yes, typing routes in twice). I've encountered this with other FMCs, too. In the other FMCs, the ATC does *not* work OK off the ground unless the flight plans happen to be very very similar. But wow, it is annoying.>4. The manual states that GPS navigation is primary, and VOR>to VOR is secondary. The inertial system is a last resort, but>it must be functioning unless you want to fly without an>autopilot. (At the edge of the Mach envelope at high>altitudes, this is a real challenge). However, I can't seem to>find any way of tracking the GPS route while in flight-I only>see the Inertial System on the map display, and it always>displays three opinions as to where the airplane might be>because of the triple redundant gyro based units.This is a known bug, and acknowledged by the developers in a private email to someone here on AVSIM last year. I think if you search this forum and the iFly forum you'll find the post.>I don't dare try to change the fuel system configuration in>flight because the valves seem to be limited to one change of>position, they cannot be changed back. I found a clumsy way>around this, but it only works part of the time, and involves>loading another default aircraft, then switching back to the>iFly model.Don't think this has been reported before. It seems to work OK on XP. >I think most of my problems are Vista related, so comments on>how the model performs using other operating systems will>probably not be applicable. I don't want to turn UAC off,>because I have found that allows my peripherals to install>updates etc. without my knowing what they are.I don't think you have to turn UAC off, but hopefully someone with more knowledge about Vista internals will remember the name of the user/group that lets you run the a/c without turning UAc off.>I know the PDMG model is supposed to be better, and the>price, though steep, can be handled. However, the challenge of>getting the IFly model to function properly is half the fun.iFly gets you through about 40% of the learning curve on the PMDG. When I finally could afford it I was surprised how easily it started up!>I would very much like to hear from others using the Vista>system and the FSX IFly 747.You may want to check the threads in the iFly support forum and ask there.Best,

Hi lensman,"y'all"? Good to hear from someone with a similar background.Looks like there are answers to most of the iFly 747 "issues' (we don't have problems in a product anymore).However, I find I no longer have the patience required to get the iFly 747 up and running in FSX/SP1 on a regular basis. Basically, (IMHO) it is too intolerant of mistakes, and usually allows no means of recovery but to restart at step 1. Even without mistakes, results seem rather unpredictable during this phase.Working with it did provide me entertainment and education in FMC's though, and I certainly do not consider the time I spent wasted.A lot of effort was put into the model, and I appreciate the dedication of the developers. It may have worked much better in the Operating System it was originally designed for, but changing my Operating System again is out of the question.My only real regret is printing out the 300+ page manual prematurely. That was not only costly, but time consuming. :-rollRegards,Thrakete

ok , i have vista home premium sp2 64 bit.as soon the plane has power and bus switches are on auto , then i need to open the x cross fuel valves , and the bleed air ilsn valves.these valves plus the apu bleed air valve are bugged after take off or after climbing or engine start.olso if i have to assign buttons or key strokes for fsx apu start apu off and starters on/off , becose if i shut down the plane, the starter valves seems to have a bad habbit. olso i start with external power , becose the apu seem to go wild after some time. the temps stays rizing of the apu egt and shut the apu down then the temps keep dropping to endless - 0 degrees. so this plane has no apu and need to be started by ground power , for the rest , navigation and programing fmc and flying, itsan awsome plane. olso the starters valves to start the plane are awsome , you have to click them in several ways depends on how you start the plane, electric, bleed air , or in flight or auto , just like real.