Sign in to follow this  
Art_P

Out of Memory Error Fixed?

Guest D17S

It's not just the op system. The ProGram needs to be 64bit too. Without much struggle, the next FS will want to use well into 3Gs of physical ram. Consider: Addressable Space usage (the OOM stuff) always runs well above the actual physical ram load. With a 32 bit program pushing physical ram usage well into the 3G area, addressable space will be pushed even higher. Once addressable space hits the 4G limit, this will OOM even a 64bit op system (see pic above). This is the same "addressable space leads physical ram load" dynamic that chronically OOMs 32bit op systems now at 2G AS usages. . . but with one show-stopping difference. A 32bit program's addressable space tops out at 4G (2 to the 32nd, remember). Even a 64bit op system "4 Terabite switch" will not help. Physical ram will try want more and more of that last 3rd G and push AS over 4G and bammm. OOM. It will be a limitations of the 32bit program . . . NoT the 64bit operating system. That messy transition is upon us.

>While we will all agree that a 64 bit OS running a 64 bit FS>offers undeniable advantages, I'm not sure if there will>enough users running a 64 bit OS in the next few years that>would allow MS to make the next FS 64 bit.I think that the full transition to 64 bit is nearly upon us, and I fully expect it to be the way to go by FS11. I'm already seeing non-gaming computers in the stores with 64 bit operating systems.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX (SP1-SP2), Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art