Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

Reload FSX

Guest Cubfan24

I need some information. I had to uninstall FSX because of a continuous error with crashing at the conclusion of a flight. I am ready to reinstall, and have purchased a new secondary hard drive. My question: Can I partition the new drive into 2 so that I can use a part of the drive for my home business? It is 320 Gigs and I obviously don't need all of it for FSX and addons.I am using Windows XP SP2Dell Dimension e5212 gig Ram2.2 processor dual core AMD 4200+Nvidea 8600GT 512 ramNeither the board or the video card are overclockedThanksCubfan24

Guest UlfB

Sure you can, but why? You could just install FSX in one folder and keep your home business in another folder.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest Cubfan24

I thought I had read somewhere that you should have a separate hard drive for FSX and I thought partitioning it would be like having a separate hard drive. Am I Wrong?

Keeping FSX in it's own partition certainly helps housekeeping chores. FSX needs defragging fairly often so why defrag your other stuff at the same time. Its also easier to open a drive with just FSX on it and just see your flightsim folders. As for performance, FSX will stay neater in its own partition because it won't get fragmented by other stuff going on. Its best for performance if you put FSX in a primary partition and the rest of you stuff in an extended partition but it probably won't be noticeable as your main performance constraint is going to be your CPU.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest jshyluk

Putting FSX in its own partition is not the same as putting it on its own drive.Put FSX in its own partition, and it does make it a bit easier for keeping that part of your computer neat and tidy.Put FSX on its own physical drive, a completely different peice of hardware than the one that your OS needs to run, has a different benefit. Windows is very hard-drive intensive. It can happen that it will call on your hard drive for its own needs while you are flight simming. In that case, those hard drive calls can generate stutters in your flight. If FSX is on a different drive platter than the OS, then both drives can spin at the same time. This is assuming that you don't bother to set up your drives in RAID configuration.Other than that, you won't see a big performance gain unless your new drive is one of those really speedy superfast new drives. Even then, it will just be load times that are reduced.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM