Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

FSX Online Weather Clouds Seem Wrong

The photos(aka screenies)show the WX map with scattered clouds while the aircraft sees dark full cloud cover using the FSX online WX. Is there any place I could look in FSX to see the actual metars that were downloaded? Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yokehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191366.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/191367.jpg

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest PPSFA

I use www.fltplan.com and www.airnav.com to check real world metars and never rely on FS for them. The above is a prime example why, 'scattered clouds and ceiling'.... in the real world scattered clouds do not normally constitute a 'ceiling... from the FAA:"Ceilings. The height above the ground of the base of the lowest layer of clouds when over half of the sky is obscured.""Scattered" by definition is 1/8 to 4/8 coverage, in this case it looks like you got the 4/8's which is why they reported a 'ceiling'.If you had an exteranl view screenshot it would be easier to tell.XP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optimized by www.fs-gs.com

>"Ceilings. The height above the ground of the base of the>lowest layer of clouds when over half of the sky is>obscured.">So this means 5/8 to 8/8 i.e you have a ceiling if you have broken or overcast clouds (see below).>"Scattered" by definition is 1/8 to 4/8 coverage, in this case>it looks like you got the 4/8's which is why they reported a>'ceiling'.>This is not correct if using standard METAR code terms.Sky clear = 0/8Few = 1/8 to 2/8 (though can be used to report anything less than 1/8)Scattered = 3/8 to 4/8Broken = 5/8 to 7/8Overcast = 8/8As noted above, it is called a ceiling if you have either broken or overcast i.e. 5/8 and above, not 4/8 and above.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

Guest PPSFA

I'll let you take that up with the FAA, those were quotes I used :-)

>I'll let you take that up with the FAA, those were quotes I>used :-)Not sure which FAA quote you used but it is not correct.For better references:FAA AIMChapter 7 - Figure 7-1-21http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air...p7/aim0701.htmlFAA Pilot Handbook - Weather Reports, Forecasts and ChartsChapter 11 - Figure 11-3http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviatio...083-25-3of4.pdfYou will also find the descriptions I gave for standard METAR codes for cloud coverage in every modern aviation weather or pilot training textbook. I have over five which say the same thing.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

The wx depicted in your screenshot appears right onThat little white puffy cloud to the left is in the SCT layer and the darker clouds are a ceiling at 2200 (ceiling starts at 5/8 cloud coverage)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |