Sign in to follow this  
Glynn

Developers - PLEASE make a weather program for FSX that WORKS

Guest 413X3

>Ultimate Terrain X does NOT provide a ground texture>replacement set.>>FTX is very good, however it currently only covers parts of>Australia.>>Flight Environment X (already available at Flight 1) has Super>High Definition clouds and water and is adding a weather>engine and airport textures soon.>>http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=flt1fex>So do you recommend Ground Environment X with Flight Environment X? I am trying to find out the best possible pair. But does ground environment x only cover the textures for the area you purchase? Are there no global texture sets available from them?

GEX currently covers the entire USA and Canada.Europe is next and should be available shortly.FEX and GEX (obviously) is what I use.FTX is great if you want to fly in Australia.Oh, and as above, I am confident that when FEX releases the weather engine addon, it will be the best available.

>As far as having the best weather engine system for clients>and servers... nothing will come close to REX.This I doubt.

Guest merculiv

We will see how things rate between FEX and REX when the times comes to it. But I think REX will win in the end mainly because its been in developement for a few years by a good size team.

Back on-topic for a second:The weather system in FSX is actually MORE broken than that of FS9. Up at the higher altitudes still (50k-80k)things get worse still!I think it's as a result of MS trying to simulate the atmosphere vertically.Personally I think FS needs re-writing from scratch. Yes it's a big job, but it's become so bloated and has been added to so much over the years, it's starting to show the signs.I'd be quite happy paying $250-$300 for the sim if it ran fast on *current* hardware, had the majority of the current problems with FSX ironed out, had items such as a new flight model (or a better way to develop for the current system), and weather system that can handle more complex situations. We've got the processing power to do that in a canned fashion. People talk of dual and quad core processors - they don't fully appreciate quite what they're saying when they say that.The bottom line is FSX has some serious issues that are not going to be fixed any time soon if they keep adding to and modifying what they've got.I just hope they sort it out for FS11, but I'm not holding my breath. :(Best regards,Robin.

Guest harleyman52

>'Rudi'>>I see that your attitude lives up to your name!Now thats not even necessary...He simply stated an oppinion and added a responce to a question....

There seem to be alot of FEX people who get offended at even the thought of something being better. From what I've seen REX's weather and clouds will be the best out there and their water is going to be a step above anything we've seen before. Add in airport textures and you've got quit a powerful package.

>There seem to be alot of FEX people who get offended at even>the thought of something being better. From what I've seen>REX's weather and clouds will be the best out there and their>water is going to be a step above anything we've seen before.>Add in airport textures and you've got quit a powerful>package.I'd agree with that! It looks fantastic!Best regards,Robin.

Occasionally a perfect screenshot will show up in the sim with those textures (clouds) I tried similar things when FS2000 showed this weather system for the first time. There was a utility packed with it to create your own cloudclusters, but that didn't work. It only showed how the clouds are build. Clusters of 2d panels that rotate randomly around the Z-axis (from the viewers POV). Which means, at some places a cumulus top will be a cumulus top. But in the other 10 clouds around you this beautiful cumulus top will make up the side or bottom of the cloud. And (my personal feel), that doesn't look good at all.Regards, Gerrit Kranenbarg

Guest harleyman52

>There seem to be alot of FEX people who get offended at even>the thought of something being better. From what I've seen>REX's weather and clouds will be the best out there and their>water is going to be a step above anything we've seen before.>Add in airport textures and you've got quit a powerful>package.I'm a FEX user and I'll be the first to tell you its far from perfect and for the cost a slight disappointment..And still no engine too.....

I have to say that I agree with you 100%. Having made the transition from FS9 to FSX and ONLY flying heavies, the WX is REALLY, REALLY bad.On my first flight in the LDS767 I noticed that it was hazy from the time I took off from KORD to the time I touched down in EGLL. I thought that I had a setting messed up and I ONLY fly with ASX. I unchecked all haze layer properties and still there is a haze layer.Next, the winds at altitude are simply horrendous. The shifting winds even with ASX have destroyed my PMDG 747x twice and to complete a flight I have to shut off crash detection. Still, it is not at all realistic to get an overspeed horn every few minutes, then having the engines spool up to 100% every other minute. The poor auto throttles are simply going to fall off with the level of activity they must maintain just to fly at straight and level flight.About a month ago I was so excited to finally be able to run FSX in all its glory and the high resolution FSX terrain and detailed addon airports really sets the stage and got my heart pumping in anticipation of my flight. After a few flights in FSX at altitude, I'm really saddened by what has been happening. Add to the fact that at altitude there is ABSOLUTELY no difference in the outside visuals vis a v FS9, that excitement turned to frustration. I reinstalled FS9 from backup this morning. :-(On the first day of making the decision to move to FSX I spent ~$400 (probably more being that some things are in Euro) with another $1,000US in my budget for FSX addons to get myself back to the level of detail that I had in FS9. I won't spend another penny.My FSX setup is now what it will be until FS11 comes out in two years. I will keep FSX on and do all of my GA flights there, and FS9 for all my heavy flights (many more highly detailed large airports anyway). I don't want to use FS9 and as Phil Taylor said in his blog "its time to move on". But if someone doesn't come up with a real FIX I will not be able to support any FSX developers with my wallet as they deserve to be.

MikeFor what it's worth I have been able to largely (not completely, but largely) eliminate the high altitude wind-shifts using one of the popular wx programs latest service pack.I can fly WITHOUT needing the 'airframe damage due to stress' off. It is pretty nice.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>There seem to be alot of FEX people who get offended at even>the thought of something being better. From what I've seen>REX's weather and clouds will be the best out there and their>water is going to be a step above anything we've seen before.>Add in airport textures and you've got quit a powerful>package.If you say so.Did you even know that FEX is already adding SHD Water textures and Airport ground textures?Not to mention the 4096x4096 SHD clouds that were just added.All I see is a lot of people falling for marketing hype on a product that is so far a lot of promises with no end result, let alone the thinly veiled attempts at trying to have a dig at the FEX folks. Well some of us are a little tired of it and the responses you see are a result of this and other factors.Fancy screenshots are easy....let's see the meat.When REX finally arrives, I'll back FEX in the Pepsi challenge, plus I will have had the pleasure of already using it for X months (years?)

Hmmm,Yes, if you consider two people a 'large team'.Same size 'team' as FEX funnily enough.......

>Hmmm,>>Yes, if you consider two people a 'large team'.>>Same size 'team' as FEX funnily enough.......Actually our 'team' consists of five people, not two.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com