Sign in to follow this  
lensman

text smearing, faint, main menu, ATC window, mission dialog

Hi all,I have FSX + Acceleration + SP2, and just recently an odd display problem has started. The main menu is smeared, as if it's being written to the screen twice, the second time offset by a fraction of a millimeter. This results in completely unreadable submenus.The same happens with the ATC window. It's much fainter than it has ever been, and smeared, only it's clearly double-printed, shifted by at least 1 to 2 mm. Mission dialogs, same problem.I have a ATI Radeon 3870 w/512 MB graphics card. The last two driver updates 8.6 and 8.7, severely trashed the FPS on the system. I've reverted to 8.4, and at least the FPS issue is gone. The text smearing started after 8.6 was installed. Neither upgrading nor downgrading drivers has changed fixed the problem. I've set the card, the driver, and all FSX settings to default, but no luck. I also removed all add-on scenery, no change. EZ-GPS displays fine, but FS2Crew, FSUIPC, PMDG, and LDS menus are similarly smeared. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks in advance,lensmanaka Dan Davison

Hi DanI had the exact same issues your having with a ATI X1950 Pro 512. No problems with FSX, but as soon as I either installed SP2 or Acceleration I got all the odd display problems you mention.I was finaly able to resolve the problems after about a week of frustration installing and uninstalling everything from the my OS, FSX, acceleration, and Video drivers.Here is what I believe to be the cause of my display issues. DRIVER CONFLICTSUntil now I never had problems uninstalling and re-installing Radeon video drivers. My guess is it may have started with a recent Vista SP1 update. When uninstalling video drivers and rebooting as is the usual procedure, Vista now detects no video display drivers manages to install something, maybe looking to the web or from some leftover drivers I don't know, but until I followed precise instructions and used a driver cleaner my FSX SP2 display problems continued.I finaly got the driver issues resolved and FSX + acceleration working great. Interesting to note that when I installed the new 8.7 drivers the same display issues returned. Again it took using driver cleaner and disconnecting from the internet before reboot and re-install to fix it.Also I think that 8.6 and 8.7 updates use the same display drivers 8.5 and are really only a CCC update.****Another strange thing I found, a complete twist from what was always a general rule. Setting your display resolution to equal what you run in FS. Now unless I set my LCD display to a lower resolution I get grapic display problems(texture blurries). Wierd ?SteveCYYZ

Hi Steve, [...Good info elided]>I finally got the driver issues resolved and FSX + acceleration>working great.OK, I can believe there are driver bits left around. What did you use as a driver cleaner? >Interesting to note that when I installed the newa 8.7 drivers>the same display issues returned. Again it took using driver>cleaner and disconnecting from the internet before reboot and>re-install to fix it.>****>Another strange thing I found, a complete twist from what was>always a general rule. Setting your display resolution to>equal what you run in FS. Now unless I set my LCD display to a>lower resolution I get grapic display problems(texture>blurries). Wierd ?Yep, I've had this happen, and it happened again when I re-installed 8.4. In the CCC there are two important checkboxes. Under DVI Panel, DVI Settings > check "alternate DVI operational mode", click apply, click OK, and reboot. That fixed the problems for me. If it doesn't work for you, check "reduce DVI frequency on high" something "displays", uncheck the "alternte DVI operational mode", click apply, click OK, and reboot. [The instructions don't mention rebooting, but I had to. If I can ever get my other neuron working I'm sure I'll figure out what these settings are doing.Also make sure you have the driver for your panel installed and that the CCC is calling your panel the right thing (not plugnplay blahblahblah).I just leave the "alternate DVI operational mode" checked and rarely see artifacts. I'd appreciate knowing which driver cleaner you used. I guess you can PM me if you don't want to post, but I don't know how the PM system works.Thanks a lot,dan

Hi Steve,>Driver Cleaner Pro>I'll try those CCC settings. ThanksI tried removing 8.4 following the instructions and then using a dependency walker found six DLLs in windowssystem32atixxxx.dll This is in safe mode after the "we're done, reboot now". I'm pretty sure the names listed were also those the progress box said had been removed. I'll follow up with DC Pro.I also tried unchecking "alternate DVI" and yuck, taxiing around JFK was like the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey. While watching that, I remembered that there was a firmware update on my LCD a year ago as well as a driver update. I may look for updates for those too. I also tried forcing refresh rates - the LCD runs at 75, but 60 and 65 MHz are supported modes by the hardware. 60 was just marginally better, but cleaning out the drivers should do it.Thanks much and best wishes,