Sign in to follow this  
Guest harleyman52

Speeding up time causes eventual system error & boot from FSX

Hello! I'm looking for some help, if possible.I've set up several long flights and in order to speed things up and not have to sit for 8-12 hours in front of my PC, I speed up the flight time. (usually 16X and with auto-pilot on.) But after a while, when I attempt to set it back to "normal" speed/time, I'll get booted out of FSX and get one of those wonderful Windows XP messages asking if I wish to report the error to MS. I always do, in the hopes that it would get fixed. (yeah, I know, no more patches for FSX...)At any rate, is anyone else experiencing this fustrating bug? Are there any fixes available (besides not speeding up the time rate)?I appreciate any help provided.Alexander

Alexander Alonso

Guest harleyman52

Running it at that speed may be loading your ram up faster than it can dump...And perhaps your vid card / driver can't keep up....You can after you tire of it and just want to get to the good stuff(landing) go into the map and drag your plane closer to your destination...I do it all the time as flying over water without a nap kills me....LOL

Thanks for your reply, Harleyman!I wasn't aware that one could drag the plane icon closer to the destination! That should do the trick. As for the RAM / vid card possibility, I think that I've got that covered with 2 gigs of RAM and an Nvidia 8800 card. Not a problem with any other high-end games, though. (6750 dc CPU)I've got a feeling that it could be due to the flight plans reloading (I've got all of WOAI installed) and throws the program for a loop...Thanks again, my friend. Truly appreciate your help!

Alexander Alonso

Guest harleyman52

You're welcome...Hopefully by now you've tried it and like my cheat ...LOLIt saves time for sure.....Could be all your AI reloading ...Good a reason as any....LOL

Guest Al33

Hey everybody,I got just the same problem as he has.I got 2 GB Ram as well and a Nvidia Gefroce 9600 GT on Win XP SP2Im playing with FSX SP2.Got some World of AI Packages as well (about 15 or so)My Problem is that im playing with Fspassenger with denies me to drag my plane on the map.So do u guys may have an idea how to fix this Problem? Its pretty frustrating to fly so long and get crashed to desktop near your destination =(please help me *g*greetsAl

FSPass won't let You do the trick. Stop using it, You will then be free to move Your aircraft.As far as I remember, there is no way to save a game with FSpass, so You will be able to continue in case of CTD.

Why "fly" such a long route anyway? I rarely fly further than about three hours, and that's pushing it... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hello! I'm looking for some help, if possible.I've set up several long flights and in order to speed things up and not have to sit for 8-12 hours in front of my PC, I speed up the flight time. (usually 16X and with auto-pilot on.) But after a while, when I attempt to set it back to "normal" speed/time, I'll get booted out of FSX and get one of those wonderful Windows XP messages asking if I wish to report the error to MS. I always do, in the hopes that it would get fixed. (yeah, I know, no more patches for FSX...)At any rate, is anyone else experiencing this fustrating bug? Are there any fixes available (besides not speeding up the time rate)?I appreciate any help provided.Alexander
Next time try decreasing the speed gradualy. Such as going from X16 to x8, etc, and that might help slow things down properly, but it sounds like since you have 2GBs of memory it may be thinking that the program is trying to do a buffer overflow on the CPU to insert malicious code since it will have to erase than transfer an enormous amount of data at once. So you might be getting a DEP (Data Execution Prevention) message.
Why "fly" such a long route anyway? I rarely fly further than about three hours, and that's pushing it... :(
Lol true. I know that if I do a long flight and try to stay awake at certain times, I will pull of NWA188 flight. First I fall asleep, then I lose radio contact with the ATC and get my IFR flight plan canceled, then the virtual air force prepares for a scramble, then I wake up realizing I am 150nm past my destination still at cruising altitude, thanking god I still had some fuel reserves, but somehow just somehow I don't get my virtual PPL, or ATP license revoked. haha.

Guest WarpAir

I also used to have this problem of FSX crashing when steping down from x16, this usually occurs when you go from x8 to x4 , FSX has to reload terrain, then it crashes.1 - I used to get this problem a while back on my dual core system, I dont know what eventually fixed it , but it posibly one of thesea - Unsinstall and reinstall of FSX patchesb - Turning your scenery sliders down in FSX, and see if the problem goes away.c - Regenration of FSX cfg might also help. Backup fsx.cfg, and standard. xml, then delete fsx.cfg --- restore Standard.xml to get back your fsx control settings. 2I have never had this problem on my new i7920, so this will indicate that the crash occurs , cause your fsx sliders are to high for your cpu to handle reloading so fast. So you might need to upgrade yuor system , or turn your sliders down.3- Generall speaking , using high sim rate in fsx taxes your entire cpu. My CPU temperature goes up about 15% sometimes when using x16 rate. So while your ssystem can handle running FSX x16 without crashing, it cant handle the task of having to reload scenery so fast when steping back to normal mode.I dont think the crash is avoided if you try to step down more slowly, think i tryed this when i had the problem , and dint fix for me.But eventually on my old system, i got tired of things crashing so often, i turned the fsx display sliders down say 40% of what i used to use, and that helped against crashes also.Also on and older dual core system, its common for FSX to be running just fine until you add another addon like Fspax, cause your cpu now needs more power to run addon, system crashes cuase the sliders are to high with the new addon cpu demand.The rule is , with each new program you want to run on an older system, you need to be ready to turn sliders down, if your PC was already running maxed out.So, short of upgrading your system to fix this problem, you could turn down your FSX detaial a bit. A good defrag also helps (like ultimate defrag, and O&O defrag).EDitAlso on my sytem with fsx and addons Ram usage is 4.5 Gig average, so if you using 2Gig , check task manager while siming to see how your system copes with Ram with FSX and addons. On XP32 you could increase Ram to 3Gig.So the possible solution is bacjk again to , turn sliders down , or upgrade your system to fix this issue.

Guest Al33

Thanks for the konstruktiv help Warpair.Im going to try it (setting down the Details).Why flying so long routes? Well i love to fly to destinations were i have allready been in real life. Such as Oslo for example (Im from Vienna / Austria)and on the other hand, i earn more money for longer flights in FSPassenger.i also dont wanna go back to play FSX without FSP. Its just a whole lot of more fun to me to play it with this career mode.Actually since i got the add-on im flying a whole lot of more times just to get some money *g*.My Dream is to Repaint and buy (ingame) a Airbus A380 from Austrian Airlines =Dor at least a 747. I just didnt get it to repaint. Somehow im not able to do so (im not really a pro in things like that).Would be great if someone knows a Model which is very easy to repaint.