Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

I haven't used FSX in ages..Advice please.

Guest PaulG52

Hello all. I haven't used FSX in ages, I want to say years.I have a fairly good rig, dual core, 8800GTS 512, 2 gig of fast ram, Vista 32.I guess a good place to start is, what are the recommended tweaks, fixes, that I should know about?Any advice for an old simmer wanting to start back up again would be great, thank you.Paul.

Just do a Google search for FSX tweaks and you find plenty of places to use as a resource. Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

Guest harleyman52

This is a very good place to start....And for 10 bucks they will rewrite your config to fit your specs,,,Great service...http://www.highflightsimulations.com/fsxcfg.html#top

Guest PPSFA

or www.fs-gs.com they will tweak your entire systemXP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optimized by www.fs-gs.com

Guest PaulG52

Thanks for the replies. I have never heard of that kind of service before.I'm amazed that there is enough to fix and tweak that would warrant charging someone for it.Tis a changing world.

Guest PPSFA

Some of us like to tweak, some like to fly, I'm the latter so I would rather pay to have my tweaks done for me, and know they are right for my system :-)XP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optimized by www.fs-gs.com

To be honest, if you are capable of opening notepad, you are capable of doing those fixes yourself. If you want I'll do them for you for nothing, just send me a PM with some contact details(email is OK, but an IM program is best). I really can't see why companies are CHARGING for a few simple changes in the config... sad.It is a changing world. People are trying to make money off of everything...

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Hi All,No, this is not the case. We are not talking about all the little .cfg fixes and adjustments that are posted at every FS forum. Nor are we referring to all the XP/Vista finds that you can pull up with Google. We are however talking about a process that adjusts your entire system that takes a few hours to work through. Yes, there have been plenty of threads about this service if one does a search, if one wants to learn more.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

But all you need in most cases is a fsx cfg edit for it to run very very well. I've fixed all of my friends' FSX so they can run it 35 fps smooth. I don't think you could ask for much more for free...Smart (and free) upkeep of your computer keeps it running smooth. I still don't see a reason to pay someone money to do something like that. Being we are in a computer-oriented hobby, we can all manage to practice various upkeep techniques ourselves...

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

Guest PPSFA

Well lets see...In my real plane, I can check tire pressure, wash and wax the plane, make sure the plexi is clean and all bugs are removed, and they all make my plane go a litte faster. Am I going to do the annual, calibrate the avionics, or rebuilt the engine? No way! I do the free stuff and I pay for professionals to do the rest, just like FSX :-)XP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optimized by www.fs-gs.com

On my new machine posted below the group of documented tweaks at:http://www.highflightsimulations.com/more than doubled my frame rate as the machine came right out of the box. All it took was notepad and about 20 minutes.Remember, you must "tell" FSX that you have a multicore processor by a one line addition to FSX.cfg. Good Luck....Bob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)

Jim...Man your fast...I got it corrected in about 1 minute after a quick reread.I guess I drifted off to the old days of DOS for a second.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)

Guest harleyman52

Well perhaps this is then considered incorrect but I run FSX and Acceleration and also the Affanity for my Quad Q9550 @3.8 and it will smoke FSX all day long.....The best part is that it takes three minutes to set up FSX and the Nvidia Control Panel..And life is good......I can fly without all the headaches of tweaking ......And I use their servise and for ten bucks ,its the deal for me......And I have friends too that are to cheap to have it done, so I do it for them,and they too love life now....After all we are a community of folks that share the same interest..Its all about helping others as we were helped ourselves as newbies...And if the 10 bucks I pay them helps keep their great site up,so you can go get their info for free,then thats my contribution to the community...I hardly think they are going to retire off this side business,but it helps others with a good service and allows the info to stay up for folks like you to take and use...My point being thats its our Sim,and we use it the way we want to...I like the service,so I use it.....You don't like it,by all means don't...Thats your choice......But to tell someone that its dumb to pay for a Great convienence by experienced builders is only your opinion.......My rig cost $3,800 ...Ten bucks and all my rewrites are done.....For me its a no brainer....And not everybody can open a config and rewrite it....What about all the newer folks to this sim that have spent loads of hard earned cash to fly FSX, only to discover that it will not produce for them at all...This service is of great benefit to them......Sorry...I'm done.....