Sign in to follow this  
quantumleap

ATIS and ATC language

can anyone recommend some kind of dictionary or list of the terms, and their definitions, used in fsx by atc and atis.thanks.steve chavin

Would suggest getting a copy of the Airman's information Manual (aim) at your local book store. Read the definitions in the beginning and the glossary at the end.There is an online copy though not as complete here:http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air...ons/atpubs/aim/definitions:http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air...es/aimapd4.htmlGeofaMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

geoffa:thanks very much for the 2 links. i seriously doubt i would have stumbled across them on my own.i had a quick look through the acronym list and did not see one particular word which i think keeps recurring in the atis transmissions. it sounds to me like "india". do you happen to know what this term is referring to?again, many thanks for your help.steve chavin

>geoffa:>>thanks very much for the 2 links. i seriously doubt i would>have stumbled across them on my own.>>i had a quick look through the acronym list and did not see>one particular word which i think keeps recurring in the atis>transmissions. it sounds to me like "india". do you happen>to know what this term is referring to?>India is the letter "I" in military/civil comms"India" can describe the letter "I" such as with a tail number I-EDG would be "Cessna India Echo Delta Golf, turn right heading 350, climb and maintain 6000..."RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>i had a quick look through the acronym list and did not see>one particular word which i think keeps recurring in the atis>transmissions. it sounds to me like "india". do you happen>to know what this term is referring to?Each ATIS message when it is recorded is assigned a designation to identify it from the ones before, and those after. The designations are as per the phonetic alphabet used in aviation e.g alpha, bravo, charlie, ... yankee, zulu. The first ATIS message of the day will be 'alpha', the next 'bravo', and so on throughout the day. ATIS messages are usually recorded on the hour, but may be updated more often if the weather is changing rapidly.So what you are hearing at the end of the ATIS weather information is therefore something like "on contacting ATC inform them you have information India". What this means is that when you initially talk to ATC for you clearance, you would tell them at the end something like "with information India". At this point they know you have the current weather information (or know you are using an old one if it has just changed) and so therefore they do not have to tie up the communication frequency giving you the weather as ATIS is implemented to reduced frequency congestion.Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg