Sign in to follow this  
Cessnaflyer

had a ride in the cockpit of a 767 !!

hi all!i have just come back from holidays and i must tell you, i have a ride in the cockpit of a 767 - 300 on a flight from Bombay to Dubai, the captain let me sit with both of them in the cockpit while on descent from 30,000 feet all the way to landing and taxi to the gate, we landed on runway 12 in dubai, for some reason the other runway i think 12L is closed, anyone know why?anyways wow what an awesome experience that was!!!! it was the most spectacular experience ive ever had, first time being in the flightdeck of a real plane while in motion !! it was a shame i didnt take my video camera but i did take some pics on my still digital camera,i still think of this experience every day although this happened like some 7 days ago! i am still in awe of this experience.ask any questions you may have an i will let you know if can help.one thing i noticed while we were taxing is that you cannot hear the engines like you can in FS.regards

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest mjtibbs

Hi.Nice! good for you! :)I am still to experience somthing like this ;)Although, I thought this wasn't allowed these days due to security? or did you know the pilots personally?--Tibbz

Guest Phoenix5

>one thing i noticed while we were taxing is that you cannot>hear the engines like you can in FS.Glad you enjoyed it Clayton. As to the cockpit noise, well we have been trying to explain that for a long time... welcome to the dark side!

>>Glad you enjoyed it Clayton. As to the cockpit noise, well we>have been trying to explain that for a long time... welcome>to the dark side!So I take it PSS aircraft do exhibit the correct sound levels in the cockpit. ??RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Your very lucky!! I tried asking two times recently, on the to new york a year ago, an A346 on the way and a B744 on the way back (virgin), and more recently a trip to the Philippines and back with qatar airlines, they obviously refused. Did they provide you with a headset so you could listen to atc?

Clayton that sounds like an incredible experience. What airline were you flying with? Did you ask if you could ride in the jumpseat or did they ask if you wanted to? It is something I really want to do so any tips on how best to get a ride up front would be appreciated.Andy S

Guest Air1

Seems to me like a huge security breach. I em surprised this is allowed in this day and age. I know this was done all the time in the "good old days". Now you are lucky if the cookpit door is even open during boarding.Steve

Guest 247

when i went to greece on a 757 i enjoyed a ride in the flight deck and it was amazing as it was at night so the cockpit was all illuminated

That is a good way to kill rhodopsin in the eyes.

Guest archflyer123

Hi.when i was going from Brisbane to Auckland on a 767 I got a ride up in the cockpit 2 - however only at 37,000 ft!! It's such a small cockpit though I thought - and really analog compared to newer jets. shame i didnt have my camera on me but it would have made a great shot. Pilots really nice - clearly bored on long flight!. Anyways hope I get 2 do it again sometime and u do 2!!Archie Macleod

Sounds like you had fun. I've also had the pleasure of riding many jumpseats in the past 6 months. It's great, plain and simple :).Tero

PPL(A)

Guest Knikolaes

On the security breach thing -- I dont think that was even close to a breach at all. fear of someone in the flight deck is mainly just here in the US. Other countries haven't tightened up nearly as much as US domestic airlines have, mainly because only the US was targeted during 9/11. Even in the US, though, someone getting to see the flight deck is not that unheard of.Now that paranoia is dying down (thank the gods) people are starting to relax again. I now work from home as a reservation agent for a US domestic airline, and thus every single day I have torefer to the TSA prohibited items list. That list is growing a bit lighter daily, which is good to see. Right after 9/11 you couldnt even think of taking a weapon near a trip if you are flying. Now at least they are allowed as checked baggage (makes sense since you have no access to checked baggage during a flight anyway).Grats on getting to see the flight deck of the 767 :-)

HiActually you would be surprised how strict the airlines in Europe are to follow the "no cockpit access to anyone" rule.If you don't have contacts in the flight deck, and don't make arrangements before the flight, there's no way in #### (well, maybe 0.1% chance) you could get to the flight deck in-flight. Usually the FAs are just telling you that it's prohibited and they won't even ask the commander. I know of many cases when, if someone has convinced the FA to ask the commander, that they have then been given the access :). The pilots are not the hinderance... the FAs are!A couple of times when I have boarded a flight when I have had cockpit access agreed with a friend, I've had the FA tell me to get my own seat and stop with the nonsense. Once I had to walk to the front myself to get the word to another FA who was nearby the cockpit, and who then asked the cockpit and cleared me inside. The FAs have a little too high an ego nowadays, and they think they are the commander of the aircraft. Once an FA even got a little mad at me when she spotted me taking the jumpseat :). "who is he, what is he doing here?" As if the commander of the airplane wasn't qualified enough to decide on who sits on the jumpseat of his aircraft :).I hope the rules would bend a little more in the future, but I don't see that happening with all the paranoia that EU is currently driving on other issues. Seems like they are trying to prohibit everything!Tero

PPL(A)

Guest Knikolaes

Agreed fully on all counts, Tero. Especially about the F/A bit. Too much fear driving such behavior nowdays :-(