Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

Reducing Terrain Draw Distance

Hi,I found my accident the other dayt that if I bank the aircraft whilst looking out the side window, as I bank and reduce the distance the sim is drawing to, the framer rate leaps!!Is there a way of forcing FSX to not draw the terrain beyond say 60 miles?Best regards,Robin.

Have you tried reducing the level of detail radius?

Jim Wenham

>Hi,>>I found my accident the other dayt that if I bank the aircraft>whilst looking out the side window, as I bank and reduce the>distance the sim is drawing to, the framer rate leaps!!>>Is there a way of forcing FSX to not draw the terrain beyond>say 60 miles?>>Best regards,>Robin.Robin, I have these leaps too in the bank, thx for posting. Pls advise how you fixed it.Dirk.

Hi,>> Have you tried reducing the level of detail radius?LOD distance is not what is making the difference here - it's the sheer fact the terrain is not being drawn that is resulting in massively increased performance.If I can limit how far the terrain is drawn to, this will make a significant difference to the performance of FSX.>> I have these leaps too in the bank, thx for posting. Pls advise how >> you fixed it.I haven't fixed anything yet - I'm still trying to find out if it's possible to reduce the terrain draw distance! :)Best regards,Robin.

One way is to go into the Advanced Weather settings and set up a Visibility Layer of only 60 miles. Unlimited visibility is unrealistic to begin with, even on "clear" days. Reducing it will improve frame rates considerably depending on your hardware.

Rick Ryan

Hi,Didn't make much difference here, even at say 30 miles. :(I think FSX still draws the distant terrain in that instance, if it is in the view port.Best regards,Robin.

Yes good thoughts, perhaps Phil Taylor could come up with another FSX.cfg tweak that affects the terrain drwaing dependant on visibility. I have noticed that in FS9 reducing visibility to 30-20 miles (typical in northern europe), had a marked impact on fps and smoothness. I presume the way that FSX draws scenery is different, since reducing the visibility does not seem to affect the fps to the same extent. I was wondering also, whether there might be a setting that determines how far out from the aircraft that autogen is drawn? In many ways, with the improved textures, I prefer not to have too much autogen when flying (if at all) but it is nice to have some in the vacinity of the airport during takeoff, landing and taxiing. Regards,StuartH

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373