Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

Anisotropic or Trilinear?

Guys, did anyone compare performance and visual quality of these 2 types of filtering in FSX ingame setup? Which one works faster in FSX? For those who use nHancer my driver's Anisotropic filtering is set at 8. Does it somehow affect the choice I should make in FSX setup? Thanks.

Hi,Hmm.... it's partially down to your graphics card how much of a performance hit you see. Anisotropic is supposed to be better, but it does take a little bit more processing.I can't say I can see much of a difference visually.Best regards,Robin.

I dont see any performance difference Tri vrs Ansio. There is howerver a big difference in visual quality Ansio is better. You dont need Nhancer anymore if using one of the newer drivers. I am using the 177.79 beta with good results. I use in game AA and AF.

Jim Wenham

>...>You dont need Nhancer anymore if using one of the newer>drivers. I am using the 177.79 beta with good results. I use>in game AA and AF.Do you have any documented evidence to support this statement? I may have missed something but feel I keep a pretty good lookout for major changes such as your proposal and I have seen nothing regarding this ???http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii73/ja...b0d1b70a6a3.jpg

WAT1460.png

My documented evidence is that it works for me and many others have stated they to dont find a need for nhancer anymore. If you want to set the AA yourself just select over ride any application settings and then pick your AA level. I see nice results using 8XQ.

Jim Wenham

>I dont see any performance difference Tri vrs Ansio. There is>howerver a big difference in visual quality Ansio is better.>You dont need Nhancer anymore if using one of the newer>drivers. I am using the 177.79 beta with good results. I use>in game AA and AF.Very interesting, do you mean you don't use driver settings anymore, or I'm missing something? What is your video card?Thanks,Dirk.

>my long article on the blurries showed the difference>visually.Thanks Phil. So, Aniso or Trilinear? And btw I'm not affected by blurries too much in SP2.Dirk.

Hi Dirk,Yes I still set some of the settings in the NVIDIA control panel such as the negative LOD bias set to clamp, VSYNC, as well as some of the others you set in Nhancer. I am now trying the in game AA and am happy with it so far. I have tried the 16X AF setting as well as the ingame and dont see any difference so I am using in game. The AA seems a little better if set at the card and 8xQ is my choice for that. So to answer your question, YES I still use driver settings I just dont use nHancer to set them, I use the NVIDIA control panel.Jim W

Jim Wenham

>Do you have any documented evidence to support this statement?>I may have missed something but feel I keep a pretty good>lookout for major changes such as your proposal and I have>seen nothing regarding this ???Search the forums and you'll find all the documentation you need. I have not been using nHancer since the 175.16s as well as many others.

Anisotropic is definitely higher quality. Anisotropic refers to the fact that the number of filter taps is not identical in the vertical and horizontal axes. That means the sampling is likely to "catch" irregular shapes better. Newer GPUs dont see much hit from it, although older ones can.

Thank you, guys, all is clear.Dirk.

@jwenhamI think I'm getting grumpier or something. Is it just me, or do you think it's out-of-sorts that someone would want "documented evidence" that a tweak works or not? I mean, can't it just be accepted at face-value, try it for themselves, if it works for them, great, if not, that's great too? Isn't that how the forum used to be? Now there's all this second-guessing and wariness. I saw the same thing in the Michael Greenblatt's (ramsa's) latest thread, too.I expect that documented evidence on my desk in 3 hours. Or else.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Rhett,Yes, I found that request to be a bit weird as well. If the setting would cure cancer I would probably document it, but seeing this is only a simulator I think I will pass. Im sure I could put a PowerPoint presentation together if you want.:-beerchug Jim W

Jim Wenham