Sign in to follow this  
Guest pb

Unable to install FSX

Guest alhahn

Just purchased FSX and have tried to install three times and each time the install has frozen shortly after the "Options" screen. Does not CTD just freezes and I have to manually power down and restart. Files are starting to transfer but that is as far as things get. Any suggestions would be greatly appreceiated.Dell XPS P4 Extreme Edition,SoundBlaster X-Fi, 4GB of Mem and a e-GeForce 8800 GT Akimbo video card.

Disable any AntiVirus software you have running - it can interfere with installations sometimes.

Guest alhahn

Thanks for the reply. I've disabled the AntiVirus each time I tried to install, so it must be something else.

Guest SkullxBones

Maybe your installation disk is bad. You could always try installing it on another computer to test it, though you might want to disable the Internet so it won't try to activate it.

Guest alhahn

Just finished trying the install on my sons older XPS with no problems. So I'm still puzzled. Thanks for the suggestion.

Guest harleyman52

Been there done this.....First off...Vista or XP?????If Vista disable user control (UAC)If thats not it remove all but 1 gig of ram and give it a shot....YUP...You read right....LOLI had bad ram that kept me from installing everything........

There were earlier posts where certain CD/DVD writers were causing this very symptom. Can't be more specific than that, but perhaps a search of FSX posts along those lines might help.Phill

Guest triangle

I recall the CD/DVD posts - check for firmware upgrades for your drive and install if available. This did fix it for a few people quite some time ago.Andrew

Guest alhahn

XP I've done a memory check with everything checking out OK. But never say never. There were a couple of threads that mentioned updating the DVD drive so I will check it out first. Thanks for the help.

Guest harleyman52

Try pulling all but 1 gig ram.....I have seen Mem test pass all sticks but fail to boot computer off individual sticks.

Guest beaunydle

Forgive my interjection. I'm a new, newbie (John.)Might I be imperinent and suggest cleaning your CD/DVD Lens. I had this problem with other software. A simple problem to miss.Good Luck,J,

Guest pb

What you may need to do is uninstall any DVD emulation software.I uninstalled Nero Ahead and this allowed FSX to install OK.