Sign in to follow this  
Glynn

Live ATC Chatter by Cielosim newbie basic question...

Hi All:Considering getting the live streaming ATC Chatter by Cielosim I see advertised on the Avsim homepage. Simple question - if I have an ongoing internet connection, (as I do) do I just basically merely "tune in" a live feed of an airport's ATC and just play it in the background, or do I have to download specific .wav files prior to flying each time? I am confused what I need to tell the live ATC program to do - do I just tune the frequency of the live ATC feed prior to flying, or do I have to download and save specific .wav files before every flight? Also, the webpage does not specify where these "many common sites" that feature live ATC feeds are so I can try them out (links to the websites would be helpful). Also, as you fly, how does the background chatter change from ground, to departure, to center, to approach and ground again, etc.? Lastly, I presume that the MY TRAFFIC X AI aircraft will not reflect what is happening in the streaming, right? (If not, how does the UAL plane in their demo video seem to move in conjunction with the ATC chatter?)Thanks,Chris Catalano

From what I understand, this http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.phpis all you need, and it's already free.Regards, Kendall#1: E8500 @ 3.95 - HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - XG's 174.74 Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest triangle

Live ATC streams from the net - you just need to set it up by pointing to the stream mp4 location (see the link above) and it saves that and streams whever you tune your in-plane radio to a presnet COM frequency. I use it and quite like the immersion factor ... plus you hear some pretty funny stuff from time to time.Andrew

Guest fsxmissionguy

Chris,Unfortunately, I haven't seen a straight answer to that question ... not even from Cielosim. What they say is that you have to "download streams from the internet" before you can hear them.This is confusing, because typically, you don't "download" a stream. The beauty of streams is that they allow you to hear sounds without having to download the entire sound file first.Here's what their website says:"So how exactly does Live ATC work? In order for Live ATC to play ATC audio, you must have ATC streams or Mp3/Wave sound files which can be downloaded freely from many websites on the internet. After they have been downloaded, you add them to Live ATC."How's that for confusing?I've seen the developer make comments in AVSIM threads before. As one of the previous commenters noted, there are sites such as liveatc.net which stream live ATC traffic. If you want, you can load up, for example, the Boston (KBOS) Tower and listen to live tower chatter using any streaming media player (or even in a small browser window using a Java player) while you are flying.What you can't do is associate that with the FSX radio system so that you can select streams based on the frequency that you punch into your FSX aircraft's radio. Here's what Cielosim's website says about that functionality:"After [sounds] have been downloaded, you add them to Live ATC. There, you can organize their order and frequency. The stream frequency is the frequency you will tune in your Flight Simulator radio. Each stream will have a unique frequency that is auto-added by Live ATC but can be changed to your liking. Once your streams are added and organized, you can start Flight Simulator and then tune to one of the stream frequencies via the Com2 or Com1 radio and you will hear the ATC Chatter for that frequency."So, the benefit is being able to tune different frequencies for tower, approach, clearance delivery, etc., while you are in FSX with the radio in your aircraft, using functionality provided by Cielosim's product (I guess.)The big question, of course, is whether you must manually download all of the recorded chatter first ... only to then play back that recording. Such a procedure would be very tedious as compared to just punching in the URL of a stream (but I suspect that violates the Terms of Service of most of these sites.)It would also get stale (forcing you to have to download fresh content.) To my mind ... that's not "live atc chatter." It's "recorded atc chatter."Cheers,

HelloYou download links to streams in the form of small .mru filesthese are just links to the live streamsHere is the content of KBOS tower .mru filehttp://74.200.85.149:80/kbos_twrThe content of this stream will be different everytime you tune to it using Com2 as it is LIVE ATC in realtime from KBOS tower, NOT prerecorded, it is a live stream.Hope this helps, it is a great little app which i use to add a bit of background atmosphere while using Vox ATC.

HelloI agree you can do all this for free, nobody disputes this.What LiveATC does for you is allow you to save a set of links in a library, for example KSEA ground , KSEA tower , KSEA departure and the corresponding arrival ATC units for your destination and switch between them using your com2 radio on 118.00 118.10 118.20 ectBut if you would rather Alt-Enter to the desktop and manually change the streams in media player then LiveATC is probably of no use to you.

Wouldn't it be easier to just tune the streams to Com 1, so that eveytime I change the Com 1 frequency during flight as needed, I would also be tuning in the appropriate stream? Thank you all so much.Chris

HelloThen what radio are you going to use for FSX's ATC or any of the third party ATC apps such as Radar Contact , VoxATC or Proflight Emulator ?.LiveATC has the streams on whatever com radio you specify in its options.The streams are then organised from 118.00 upwards.If you used com1 and FSX's ATC tells you to retune to 124.00 you would lose the LiveATC stream which is on 118.**That is why would normally use com2 so you can hear both LiveATC streams and your FSX ATC instructions at the same time.

Many of you questions are being answered, but as someone who has this program, I can tell you it works great after taking the time to set it up and save 'clusters' of frequencies for various flights. You don't need the default ATC chatter anymore, in fact, you will find it irritating in comparison. This is so much more realistic as long as the appropriate frequencies are available. For instance, I was doing flights in Mexico, and it was great being dialed into the Mexican frequencies, it added much to the sim experiance. (and even when the appropriate are not available, you can typically use a similar one).I also use it with Radar Contact, and love the combination.Get it, you won't be sorry, but just take the time to set it up.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Maddog,Thanks for that info. So, from where did you download that .mru file?

Hello ChrisLiveATC options page lets you select com1 or com2 so yes you can have both programs using com1but Radar Contact requests you to tune to a freq lets say 123.00 it expects you to stay on this frequency until it requests you to tune to another ATC unit on a different freq.Using RC and LiveATC on com1 would mean that you would probably never hear LiveATC as it assigns freqencies to your streams starting from 118.00 with a different freq for each stream, so you may have Ground on 118.00 tower on 118.10 departure on 118.20 and so on, RC would probably have you tuned to frequencies other than these so negating the use of LiveATC.Hence the use of Com2 for the background ATC streams.The order LiveATC assigns its frequencies can be altered in the optionsThe Volume of the streams can be set in LiveATC options, remember it is intended a background chatter and you may prefer it to be quieter than Radar Contacts output.The list of streams and the frequencies can be printed out as a reference.If you want to make LiveATC shut up just tune com2 to a spare frequency.I will leave it there as i will end up transcribing the entire manual if i keep going, you have nothing to lose as it uses the Flight1 wrapper and has flight1's 30 money back guarantee.

HelloIt was downloaded through the LiveATC programs link to http://www.liveatc.net/The program simply lets you save these .mru streams into a library from where you can assemble city pair sets of the relevant ATC streams for your flights, save them as favorites for recall later and lets you tune to these live streams using the com2 radioSimple cheap and effective for adding a bit more ambiance to your flights.

How about this though:Is it possible to EDIT the frequencies to make them match what Radar Contact will request of me - so, suppose Radar Contact asks me to tune O'Hare Ground on 118.25. Before I even begin a FSX session, can't I assign a frequency of 118.25 to the particular stream representing Chicago Ground so the two match? This way, when Radar Contact asks me to tune Chicago ground on 118.25, then I will simultaneously be changing to my next stream, satisfying Radar Contact AND Live ATC at the same time. Does this sound right?>"but Radar Contact requests you to tune to a freq lets say 123.00 it expects you to stay on this frequency until it requests you to tune to another ATC unit on a different freq"

>How about this though:>>Is it possible to EDIT the frequencies to make them match what>Radar Contact will request of me - so, suppose Radar Contact>asks me to tune O'Hare Ground on 118.25. Before I even begin>a FSX session, can't I assign a frequency of 118.25 to the>particular stream representing Chicago Ground so the two>match? This way, when Radar Contact asks me to tune Chicago>ground on 118.25, then I will simultaneously be changing to my>next stream, satisfying Radar Contact AND Live ATC at the same>time. Does this sound right?It really isn't that hard to make sure you have Com 2 set up for ground and simultaneously switch to Live ATC ground fairly quickly. You may be able to do what you describe, but then you would have to use all your Live ATC transmissions via Com1 (as you can only set up the program to use Com1 or 2, not both), and that may not be what you want all the time during your flight.>If I use Comm 2 as my Live ATC source, won't I have to>periodically keep leaving Comm 1 (making it temporarily>imactive) to change my frequency on Comm 2 to the assigned>stream frequency, only to switch back to Comm 1 and the>frequency RC requests? No. It does not work that way. Once you have a stream active via Com2, it plays 'in the background' regardless of what frequency you are using in Com1.>Won't this bother Radar COntact if I>have to keep leaving my active Comm 1 frequency, even if only>for a few moments?Again, no.I use Live ATC and RC all the time together. It works great together, and the best way to do it is set-up Com2 for Live ATC and use Com1 for RC.You are really making this a bit complicated. It will become very easy to understand if you purchase it, and use it.Personally, I love the combination of RC and Live ATC, and never use the RC chatter as Live ATC adds so much more. Now, I am flying in Europe right now and I do use RC chatter as the amount of Europe transmissions are really lacking, as I understand, there is a law/issue about 'broadcasting' these frequencies in much of Europe.