Sign in to follow this  
Gypsy Baron

FSX frame rate holy grail

Interesting Larry, but that doesn't quite explain the results... Aero is shut down when launching FSX, and you can disable Desktop Themes in the Properties tab of the FSX Shortcut...Also, I do hide the task bar and keep the upper menu closed at all times it's not being used.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi Zevious,I get just a tiny amount of banding...almost none....in the sky but a little more on reflective, bump mapped wings. But on my system the gains in fps more than compensate.Rob

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Guest Zevious Zoquis

Just curious - why run in a window at all? Is there some specific reason for it? I've just always run full screen in any demanding sim/game...

>>Hi,>>>>Is FSX running at the time you are looking?>>>>Jim>>>>http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpg>>http://www.hifisim.com/>>>>>Hi Jim...No its not...If it was how would you set the priority>for it? ThanksYou can only set the priority for FSX.exe when it is running, otherwise it will never show in the list of running processes in task manager...;)

Hi Zevious, I run in windowed mode when using some FS9-ported/non-FSX native aircraft where the cockpit tooltips become "blocky" and illegible in my FSX/Accel(SP2) setup.I like to see the tooltips in some of these planes because it gives me info about trim tab positions, engine gauge readings etc, helpful in micro-managing for endurance flights :) This is only cure for this for my system (GeForce card), short of going back to SP1 ...I must admit though, having to go into windowed mode is slightly annoying ..Longers

Hi,Start FSX, start Task Manager, find FSX.exe on the Processes list, right mouse click on FSX.exe, go to Set Priority, click on High, answer Yes.Yes, you do need to do this each time unless you use a utility to change the priority automatically.Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest Zevious Zoquis

ah I see. Fair enough. That sorta bites htough...I hate running sims in windowed mode.

>>Also, I do hide the task bar and keep the upper menu closed at>all times it's not being used.This thread got me tweaking again last night.I discovered that on my setup, keeping the upper menu off gives a little bit of a frame rate boost--enough of a boost for me to make a conscious effort to keep it off when not needed.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Just curious - why run in a window at all? Is there some>specific reason for it? I've just always run full screen in>any demanding sim/game...If I am designing, I run in windowed mode, so that I can alt-tab between apps (such as Traffic Explorer or gmax) without any hassle and very quickly.If I am doing serious flying, then it's all windowed mode for me though.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>interestingly enough, I always used your own SF260. I've>always found it to be not only easy on the framerate, but>really consistent too...but I'm still flying FS9 only so>that's a moot point with this discussion.>>Just a question though regarding the 16 bit suggestion - do>you not find that theres noticeable "banding" in the sky in 16>bit. Particularly in dawn or dusk situations I seem to recall>you don't get smooth color transitions...maybe I'm wrong>though.I seem to recall that the 'banding' was a result of havingthe desktop set to 32-bit and the sim to 16-bit.Try setting your desktop to 16-bit as well. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Hi Bill, Yes, I know aero is disabled during FSX, but...the Vista Theme (non aero) is still used on the desktop...The problem stems from running in windowed mode fullscreen, framerates for me and others drop significantly, even when hiding the taskbar. As long as the FSX window does not touch the Windows taskbar (or the bottom of the screen when it is hid)Framerates are pretty close to normal. When I switch to the plain old Win 98 standard theme (for lack of a better term:) My framerates are much better in fullscreen windowed mode, with the taskbar showing..I think also, other open windows such as ATC are skinned in the old style as well... Could this have something to do with the Vista theme itself? On the desktop? Even though you might disable themes for FSX? Don't know. :)I haven't tried disabling the theme as you suggest but it may be worth a try. If not, people can try what I've done. It's ugly but it works LOL.Larry

Guest PPSFA

For those that use a second monitor, simply drag the task bar to that monitor. XP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optimized by www.fs-gs.com