Sign in to follow this  
Guest jshyluk

FSX taxi speed for AI. Can it be changed?

Guest garymccl

Just that...I seem to remember I had tool to do it in an earlier version, but I can't find it for FSX. If not a tool, surely this can be set through a registry key or something?ThanksGary

There was a tool to do this in fs9, however that does not work in FSX. I tried to find a way to do this through SimConnect for Super Traffic Board, but aircraft under ATC control did not seem to respond to requests to change speed.Simon

FWIW, the tool you're remembering is probably Ken Salter's FS Configurator which had a menu item to adjust AI taxi speed.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest garymccl

Yeah, this looks like a great tool - I'll give it a go.ThanksGary

Guest jshyluk

ALthough it doesn't deal with taxi speed, AISmooth is a good tool for keeping all traffic flow (air and taxi) in good order. That might help you as well.Changing the taxi speed in FS9 could result in some strange aircraft behaviours if you did it wrong, and I suspect the same would apply if you were to change taxi speeds in FSX. Still, it's a variable I wish was easier for the average user to play with, as easy as using a slider.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest garymccl

I certinaly agree - I wish they made it a bit easier. Perhaps they should have an "advanced options" section in FS-11.I am using Radar Contact. Would AISmooth work with that addon?

Guest jshyluk

I don't know. But AISmooth is not very intrusive, and if I forgot to mention it, it's freeware and in the AVSIM library. You can try and see for yourself.As for Advanced Options... well, we will see. My understanding was that ACES was displeased with how people were using the current slider system. Or phrased more clearly, people were upset with how the slider system works in FSX, and ACES heard a lot about it. Some time ago, one initiative was to clean up the slider system, and to allow for fewer choices for the user. This would make the basic configuration of Flight Sim faster and more streamlined. Too many choices seemed to lead to either too many bad configurations, or at the least "analysis paralysis" where the user was spending more time tweaking than flying. That's not to say that the advanced user would not be able to tweak the sim, but perhaps more of these tweaks will involve altering .cfg files rather than operating sliders. It should also imply that the Wizard system FS uses to guage how to first run FSX will be improved and will be smarter. In any case, we are now in pure speculation mode. I have no idea where the current development is, except to repeat the mantra: look at the upcoming Train Sim 2. TS2 is building on new technology, and looks to improve on the weak areas in FSX. FS11 will likewise build on TS2. If TS2 is wildly successful, then I imagine FS11 will look a lot like that, except with airplanes instead of locomotives. That's drifting a bit off-topic, but it's something to think about, at least for me.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest j-mo

I am using Radar Contact. Would AISmooth work with that addon?They work very nicely together! You can still get traffic conflicts, but no more clanking together during approach or final. AISmooth will send the AI to a holding pattern if necessary.Regards,

Guest garymccl

>Too many choices seemed to lead to either>too many bad configurations, or at the least "analysis>paralysis" where the user was spending more time tweaking than>flying. >I think this seperates the serious hobbyists from the guys who just buy and fly. I do this - spend more time reading AVSIM forums and news, downloading tools and reading reviews of new addons, than I do actually flying. These people are more likely to want to spend more time tweaking to get the perfect flight, and then a short amout of time flying. (Shame we don't get a gold medal for it!) I would hate to have fewer 'options', though.

Guest jshyluk

I am about 85% sure that all of the usual options will be there, just the way the we will have to access them will be changed. I suspect that if TS2 and FS11 are working very well, the computer will be a lot smarter in making the best choices anyway. With FSX hinging on Vista and DX10, there were too many future variables for the FSX setup Wizard to account for.I think there's a difference between sim pilots who enjoy tweaking their system (like us) and those sim pilots who make bad configuration decisions, don't learn from their mistakes, and then have a terrible time with flight sim (not to mention a third category of those who have unexplainable difficulties). I think the ACES team wants us to make better quality, better informed decisions on how flight sim should look and run. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM