Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

What Tropical Storm?

Guest RichardL

Sitting at Tallahassee, FL (KTLH), runway 18 in the Ultralight. Winds 154 degrees at 11kts and gusting to 26kts.Why is the Ultralight not rocking all over the runway? Went to spot view and the wings are hardly moving at all.Is this another feature not addressed in FSX or do I not have something set properly.Regards,Richard

Guest LtRob

What real-time weather program are you using?

Guest RichardL

Rob,Just the default FSX real weather download. Weather screen was reporting the same as the Shift+Z display.Jim,Good point though I'm don't recall. I'll take a look at the Display settings. Card is nvidia 8800GT.Regards,Richard

I don't think it does much at all when sitting on the runway. I had the Accel helo sitting on the pad in the storm and it was barely moving as well. Soon as I left the ground though, I got blown across the tarmac. LOLLarry

The FS flight model isn't realistic. Aircraft can sort of fly by the numbers, but anything that requires a semblance of physics and it won't (can't) do it.Just watch how aircraft can defy gravity once they go outside the FS envelope - it's rubbish.Best regards,Robin.

>> How would you expect them to behave outside the FS envelope?I wouldn't expect the weirdness that you can get them to achieve.Forget the fact this guy is using the AP to takeoff - watch how the FSX flight model reacts!!!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a06lS9ONVkgThat isn't realistic, and is a good example of what happens when you take aircraft outside the normal flight envelope.If it was vaguely based on physics, it couldn't do that.There are numerous things real aircraft do in bad situations that FS is oblivious to.I think in the next version of FS, MS should introduce a new flight model.The FS flight model is so poor, you can't even model helicopters properly.Best regards,Robin.

Interested on which fm for any present sim satisfies you?The default fs Baron is the closest I have seen to my real baron though there could be improvements. (dr hopefully?)If there is better in another sim please let me know-I will be the first to jump ship! As for outside the normal flight envelope-I've never done that and never will-where does one get realistic data for that? Who would vouch for realism here? I can at least vouch for realism in normal flight (at least nothing better yet). To vouch for what you want I don't think I'd be alive to report about it ):-Is there a reason one would want to fly outside normal flight parameters?- Faa action, law suits,loss of licence?

It's not so much that as a lack of consequence for poor flying. Simply stalling can lead to bizarre and wholly unrealistic effects.Even if the behavior outside the normal flight envelope isn't 100% as the real thing would behave, anything that is more realistic would be better than what we get presently.I know recently there have been efforts to better simulate spin behavior, but not all flight models do this, and others do this to varying degrees (either by design or accidental).Take high-speed flight (especially mach buffet/tuck) - surely this is possible within the FS flight model??I've successfully managed to simulate the required zero pitch angle accel that the SR-71 requires to go supersonic with reheat.Without reheat and the pitch manouver, it isn't possible to go supersonic, and after Mach 1.25 it can super-cruise. I've captured that fantastically.The problem is that if you exceed MMO (in the real thing) it suffers a severe pitch up tendency that I haven't as yet found a way to simulate.FS is further limited in that Mach 4 appears to be the fastest a jet can fly, but I have it on good authority it can make "M4.5 plus".Best regards,Robin.

Guest RichardL

I found no video card or FS config setting to allow better interaction with surface level winds.Apparently the sim is limited in that area.

Guest j-mo

I don't think it does much at all when sitting on the runway.I don't know about FS weather, but Active Sky can give it to you for sure!I flew into VHHH in PMDG 747 a few days ago. Using ASX weather (Aug. 22), approach instructed me to land 25R. Winds were 200@38, gusting 49. (BTW, this was a flight from KORD: a little over 7,000nm and 16 hrs).I had one go-around. After landing, it was a bit of an adventure, to say the least. The winds definitely wanted to push me around, even after flaps were up. If I was heading/with the wind, I had to monitor my taxi speed pretty closely. Cross-wind it wanted to mess with my path.Can't say this was fun necessarily, but seemed realistic enough to me. Thank you Active Sky (I think ;-) )!Regards,

Why Oh why do some insist on flying "outside the normal envelope"?As an old CFI of years past, I had enough trouble teaching students how to fly inside the thing. Most light aircraft of a training catagory are amazingly forgiving, but if one works hard enough at it with enough different temptations put together, they do run out of patience. The result is always very sad.One individual who wanted to fly out of the box earned me a subpoena to an FAA hearing as a witness. Thankfully, I only had two or three hours with him, and discovered a gaggle of other flight instructors present in the courtroom as well. Some were there because the guy had entries in his log book by them (regrettably like me), and some were there to relay things that they had simply witnessed. To my astonishment, I heard 72 paragraphs read against the guy in violation of FAA regulations. The character defended himself. It almost seemed like a TV drama and truthfully, my apprehension turned into amusement. The authorities finally asked who all of the witnesses were that had little to contribute by comparison, heard us, and dismissed us to go back to work (darn it!). You might not believe what little I personally witnessed. For sure you would not believe some of what I heard. A fellow instructor and friend at the airport where I flew who was also the local designated FAA Examiner used to say, "When we get into another war, we want this guy." Yea, my friend got a subpoena too. And yes, the guy's ticket was pulled on a permanent basis as far as I know.Inside the box is difficult enough for me. I don't need any provisions out of it.Respectfully:RTH

>> Why Oh why do some insist on flying "outside the normal envelope"?I don't, but it would be nice if the aircraft reacted semi-realistically when you did. :)Best regards,Robin.