Sign in to follow this  
Guest rvflyer

FSX will not install

Guest rvflyer

Hello. I just finished building a system, will include components here, in case they may be the culprit. Anyway, I am unable to install MSFS FSX, I am now on my 8th try today!!! It usually gets hung up about halfway through the first disk, although on 2 attempts I actually got to install the 2nd disk. Any ideas or helpful hints?I have a MSI P7N SLI Platinum motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 650 W PSU, 2GB of DDR2 800 RAM, a PNY XLR8 8800GT video card with 512MB, WD80GB HD, WD160GB HD, and running Windows Vista Home 32 bit, and purchased a new DVD today, it is an HP brand, as the last one didn't let anything autostart.I was amazed that I got it together and all was working. I am ready to give up and go back to MSFS9 if this keeps up. Thanks in advance, and I will be back for overclocking help in the near future if FSX ever loads...Bill

BillA couple of questions. Is this a complete build? Looks like you may have had Vista on one of those drives already. If you started with blank hard drives, and installed Vista fresh from discs, than make sure you have ALL the updates from MS. If Vista was already on a drive you may need to reformat and reinstall Vista(don't forget SP3.) Also, is that HP DVD a Lightscribe? I have had issues with Lightscribe. Good luck.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest rvflyer

Yes, it was a complete build. I put Vista on hard drive "C", and am trying to load FSX on hard drive "D". There was no OS on either hard drive when I started, it was a fresh load. And yes again, it is a light scribe HP DVD. I will try and download all the Vista updates tonight after work. It is just an FSX computer, so I have to come to our home one for intenet, etc. Thanks for the help...Bill

My Lightscribe drive came with my Vista computer as it was so bad that it sometimes wouldn't read a disc it had just made. I think it is much better after Vista updates. I use a Lite-on drive mostly.Bob

Bob

Guest mtlmtl

I had the same problem earlier this month. What I found out people that had this problem were doing was creating an image of the discs to the hard drive and then using a disc emulator. I used the Alcohol program to make images of the discs and all works good now. Funny how the dvd drive had read errors on the discs, but was able to make perfect copies to the hdd. The discs must be very delicate, as mine had no scratches and many others have had this same problem.Matt

Guest rvflyer

Good evening...Well, it is still messed up. I tried 3 times to load tonight with a 3rd different DVD drive...and it froze up as usual..So, on a whim I tried to install my copy of MSFS9, no problem at all. In case I forgot to mention it, I have an OEM copy of Microsoft Vista Home Premium edition, with SP 1. So, mtlmtl, explain to me how I can create an image of the disk onto my hard drive...and go easy, I am a computer idiot! All other items work ok, so I have to believe it is the disks for FSX that are causing the problem.I put FS9 on my "C" drive, the 80GB hard drive, and will put FSX onto the "D" drive, which is a 160GB hard drive.Again, thanks so much for the help. I built this thing and had it working in half a day. I am now on day 5 trying to load FSX onto the darned thing....Bill

Bill:You don't need to do anything fancy. Just create an empty folder on yourdesktop, then copy and paste ALL the files from both DVD's into it.After it's finished you can you can install from there.

Guest rvflyer

Hello. Just one simple question. Will there be an auto install section in there? I ask because with my first attempt I would open the DVD through "my computer" icon on desktop and it would show all the contents. I just want to get it loaded, tweak my Q6600 CPU and fly a little bit.I will try this in AM if I get a definitive answer about how to do it. It has been very frustrating, to say the least. As I said earlier, FS9 loaded up in about 5 minutes.Ah well, it will be worth the aggravation when I am able to fly...Thanks again for all teh help, I do really appreciate it.Bill

BillWhat happens when you let FSX install to the C drive? I know that's not where you want it, but I seem to remember some having trouble installing to a non default drive. You can make a disc image with your roxio media creator. You'll have to google disc emulator, though.Bob

Bob

If you tried with a different DVD drive and is still is no go, I expect you have a faulty disk. If you have a friend with a computer with a DVD drive you might ask if he or she can try to install it there. You don't have to activate it there; just see if it will install and then remove it. But I still think it's a faulty disk.

AMD 3800X, Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT, AS Rock X570 Phantom Gaming 4, 32mb 3600 ram

Guest mtlmtl

I think what Denny suggests is to create a new folder, then open each FSX disc and copy all the files on the 2 discs into the new folder. There should then be a startup file or something similar to double click and that should start the installation process from the hard drive, not the dvd drive. I have not tried this method, but have heard from other sources that it works. I personally use the program Alcohol 120% and really enjoy it. Many games and software that require disc verification can have their image saved to a hard drive and then don't need to be loaded into the dvd tray each time for the program to load and discs to get scratched and damaged. The bad side of this method is it can consume large amounts of hdd space. There is a free trial of Alcohol available to download if you choose. It is then as easy as using the programs image making wizard to make a image of each disc, then using the virtual dvd drive to load/mount each discs image and the discs start automatically. Good luck.MattOh, and if you decide to try the image method, use a slow copy speed like 2X or 4X if the wizard asks you to choose a speed; not sure if it does. I think your dvd drive may be trying to read the disc to fast, like at 16X when installing.

I had a similar problem installing FSX, GEX, and updates. NickN suggested I check my memory. I tested it with memtest and found errors. Replaced the memory and the programs loaded fine. Don't overlook the memory.DaveSystem:Dell XPS 720 H2CIntel Quad Core Extreme QX6800 @ 3.73GHz2GB Corsair Dominator EPP 8500C5D 800MHz FSB 1066 MHz2x160GB WD SATA Raptors, Sound Blaster X-FiNvidia 2x8800GTX 768MB SLI, Dell 2407WFP PanelXP driver: 169.21, Vista driver: 169.25Logitech Z680 5.1 Speakers, G5 Mouse, Saitek X52WinXP Media Edition SP2 on C: (SATA 0)Vista SP1 on D: (SATA 1) (Dual Boot)3DMark06: 17,018/6992/7123/5667

Guest rvflyer

Hello again and THANK YOU for the help and suggestions. I will try the install on the desk top tomorrow when I get up. I am at work now. I have tried to load it on either the "C" or "D" with no luck. I did download alcohol 120 last night and will try it if the desktop trial doesn't work. I am not sure about the memory, as all other programs seem to work fine. As I said, FS9 loaded just fine and started right up.I promise to report back sometime tomorrow, hope to get to it early AM, but other "chores" may interfere....Regards,Bill

Guest rvflyer

Hello. Well, it is finally loaded!!! Thank you everyone for all the ehlp, ideas, and suggestions. I just copied everything on the DVDs to a desktop folder , found the installer, and presto...I have it. Guess it is now time to post for help with overclocking my Q6600 and figuring out how to run and use 2 each monitors. I want to set one up for instruments and GPS type items...Again, thank you. I do believe it is the disk that is at fault, as I even tried to load it on my home computer, and it was a no go.Regards,Bill