Sign in to follow this  
3-2-1-Now

Propellor torque

Guest ccartmel

Hi,Anybody know how to adjust the propellor torque, especially on the runway? I fly a PA38 Tomahawk (Just Flight and real) and find it's handling characteristics unrealistic. I find I am applying a little left rudder when taking off, the real one needs loads of right.I have adjusted the p_torque_on_yaw value from 1.2 to 5.0 in the aircraft.cfg file with some effect in the air although some undesirable side effects have been found.There are a few parameters in the 'air' file which may help, but I cannot find a decent guide to their impact on handling.CheersCharlie

Hi,I find torque yaw to be quite unrealistic in any aircraft.The torque generated by the Piper Meridian can't be overcome by full opposite aileron deflection in reality, if you just firewall the throttle from flight idle at approach speed, but in FS it has next to no effect at all. :(EDIT: I'll go one further and say that the flight model in FS is lacking realism if you aren't flying-by-numbers. It doesn't seem possible to enter a high speed stall for example, or by pulling too hard.Best regards,Robin.

Guest ccartmel

Robin,Thanks for your comment, I agree totally. I have been playing around with settings some time now with only slight changes noticable.Will have to start flying twin engined aircraft and see how the models hold up in comparison :D CheersEDIT: Just looked at the meridian - NICE:-cool

Try something such as the RealAir Spitifire. It requires a lot of left rudder since the prop spins counter-clockwise from the cockpit view. It will also stall, as well as secondary stalls.RealAir specializes in this type of effects. They've been perfecting them for years.L.Adamson

Guest PPSFA

It may not be the rudder, check the wind direction. FS weathervane effects leave a lot to be desired.XP Pro SP2-FSX SP2AMD FX60-8800GTS-2 Gigs RAMFEX-GEX-UTUSA-FSGenesis-and a bunch of other stuffComputer optimized by www.fs-gs.com

HI Charlie,Before you write off the Tomahawk can you please check that you don't have a cross wind. The Tomahawk has a normal prop and will drift left on full throttle at take off. But this is not just torque and altering the torque param in the aircraft cfg file will not make any difference. However the p-factor param will.To test, please do this: Set up on a runway with NO WIND (the wind effect in FS is exaggerated on the ground). Open your aircraft realism menu and do two things: firstly make sure the general realism slider is set at maximum (FULL right). Then move the p-factor slider fully right as well.Now take off with full power and you will see the aircraft drift in the correct direction. The Tomahawk is not a very powerful aircraft and the p-factor drift is not particularly high. Once you have taken off and provided the climb is not steep the p-factor drift is very low and requires only a little rudder to correct.In what other way do you find the Tomahawk "unrealistic"? Please be aware that, as stated I think in the JF docs, all the Flying Club aircraft need to have the general realism slider fully right. Even one tiny fraction off maximum "dumbs down" the flight model.Rob Young (Tomahawk FDE Author)

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

>> EDIT: Just looked at the meridian - NICEIt certainly is!! :DBest regards,Robin.