Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

Wings on - upside down??

I run FSx with SP1 - using an Intel Dio Core with 2 Gig RAM and a 256 meg vid card. I am reasonably happy with its performance - and it largely does what I want.BUT - every now and then, when I load up a flight or mission, I discover that my aircraft wings are on upside down , or the helo rotor is at right angles to where it should be or the control column is upside down, rudder pedals have disappeared, etc.I cant find any consistent reason for this - or any reason at all really. I have eliminated weather, set scenery settings to minimum, etc - and it seems to make no difference.For example - whenever I load up the free sample Mission from Just Flight , it always loads with the helo rotor at right angles to where it should beHas anybody else seen anything like thisThanks barry

hi barry, yes, I have seen that. I used to see that with my 256 meg video card, too. ;)Now, with my 768 meg vid card, I don't see that.When that happened to me, I would reboot the machine, and usually the graphic anomaly would be gone.I can't explain what causes it, or what the reason for it is. It seems to me though, that it is logical to conclude that it is a function of the amount of vid mem, or lack thereof.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I remember a thread on this some time back. I can't recall the cause or the outcome. But as I think about, I also saw that kind of thing. It may have been when I used my old 7950 256 MB card. I know I haven't seen it with my 512 card.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

this is a symptom of running out of video memory, as mentioned.either turning settings down or purchasing a video card with more memory will fix this.with an open-ended system like FSX, this can happen. the alternative is a "locked down" system where there is not as much configurability and extensibility. I think the trade-off ( the occasional gotcha that is easily rectified ) is worth the loss of configurability and extensibility, but ymmv.

>Sounds like another FSX screw-up to add to the list... :(You might want to consider not saying anything unless you actually KNOW the facts......unless of course you enjoy wiping egg off your face... :-lol I mean, MS/ACES is supposed to assume responsibility for anyone's underpowered and ancient video card how? :-hah

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>> I mean, MS/ACES is supposed to assume responsibility for anyone's >> underpowered and ancient video card how?I wouldn't have said it had anything to do with power.Maybe someone would like to explain it to me, but I can't see how a lack of video memory would result in things being drawn upside down, etc.. Obviously it is there if it is being drawn, no?@Phil: Thanks for the info.>> ymmv???Best regards,Robin.

ymmvYour mileage my veryBob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

the engine favors drawing immediately over waiting for all resources. this means you keep flying, instead of the rendering stopping and waiting for resources while the sim clock kept on ticking. if the engine was not architectured that way, the possibility of something bad ( like the plane crashing ) while waiting for the rendering would be high since the sim clock is still ticking and advancing the simulation. if the engine is architectured like that, yes you get a visual anomaly now and then but at least you can see the scene and can keep on giving accurate control input in response to the simulation.so even if a resource doesnt fit, the engine keeps on drawing. if the resource is one that has to do with skinned animations, like wingflex, it can result in wierdness if that resource isnt present. just because the geometry resource is present ( the wing ) doesnt mean the texture resource or the animation resource is present.missing resources is the same reason for the discombobulated planes, where the pieces are all over the place. it can either be from a bad install ( which the ShowMissing* tweak would show ) or from not enough memory ( which a new card or dropping the settings would fix )it really isnt hard to understand, with an open-ended system. we give you scissors, be careful running with them.

Thanks PhilThis has been pointed out to me before - however my vid card has 256 meg RAM and, I keep an eye on vid RAM being used (by using MEMSTATUS). The Vid RAM when this anomoly occurs does not exceed the amount of RAM on the card - and, in my attempts to get some kind of commonality or re-occurence of the situation, I have at times increased my vid settings to the point where the vid RAM used is excessive - BUT the anomoly does not appear. And this "discombobulation" :-) only happens now and again. If it wasn't coming from you directly- I hate to say that I would have regarded an answer like this as being one of those answers that are given when nobody knows the answer. I should rephrase that -- sometimes it appears to me that it is very easy to say that the answer to a problem lies with better hardware.BTW - this happens when I am on the ground.Sorry Barry

Guest bstolle

I had this effect when I screwed around with the bufferpoolsize in the fsx.cfg. When I used a too high setting the Cessnas doors were on the wings etc...Then I deleted the fsx.cfg and let fsx rebuild it.Now everything is VERY fine again. :)I've decided to put the scissors back into the drawer let alone running with them ;)

Nah - no playing around here with "Bufferpools" - standard default FSx.So far the only (highly unsatisfactory) answer to this is essentially that nobody knows the reason for this - except they have found that throwing more hardware at the problem has sent it away. Now let me see - what are the recommended minimum specs for this commercial product - OH yes - I can see here on the box 32 meg Video RAM -- my 256 meg should be AMPLE! And , in fact, it is ample - for most things! Except for these occasional glitches which I have enquired about.Barry

Guest bstolle

Well, I've never seen a computer game which runs 'satisfactory' with the minimum specs. It's exactly what it states. The absolut minimum. Have you set ALL graphic options within FSX to their minimums?Then you shouldn't have any problems.There are GPU with 1GB memory available so at 256MB you are already close to the minimum IF you want more than minimum graphics.