Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

Wings on - upside down??

And like bstolle said above...even with your "above minimum" graphics card with an "impressive" 256mb of memory, if you crank up too many of the sliders in FSX, YOU will get "graphics anomolies", too.Quit complaining about "FSX Problems" if you don't have enough hardware to run it all. It isn't rocket science. If you put JP4 in a Cessna 150, it ain't gonna run worth crap either. FalconAF

Rick Ryan

I seem to remember seeing many times that FSX was made to run with sliders at "normal" or in the middle, without add ons. Seems to me that once you go above that, add use addons(which may not be written well), than I think all bets are off. At that point, You need to throw all the hardware you can at FSX. There are plenty of people who have spent thousands and still have problems. We all learn to trust our eyes, not the box.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Bob,I agree with the "trust our eyes, not the box" statement. But I gotta tell ya...there is one continual "problem" that exists in the Flight Simulator user community that many users just refuse to recognize or accept.You HAVE to become educated about the HARDWARE if you want any computer to perform at it's maximum potential. It doesn't matter WHAT you are using the computer for...it is a PLATFORM that runs application software. If the end user is ignorant about the platform and how to make it work correctly (and KEEP it working correctly over time), then NO amount of money thrown at a computer will "solve" these complaints from people. A brand new top-of-the-line rig will drag it's knees to bloody death after only several months of use without proper user maintenance.These continual complaints about FSX being the problem are rediculous. There are PLENTY of us who are running FSX with PLENTY of those additional addons, and the program runs FINE. No OOM's, no stuttering, no Blue Screens of Death...it runs FINE. I've done IT for over 30 years, and flight simming since the Commodore 64. Yeah...I know how to get the most out of a computer...and how to KEEP it running that way. And all that knowledge I acquired over 30 years is available now for FREE to ANYBODY who wants to take the time to LEARN it. It's ALL on the Internet. You don't have to pay to go to a school to learn it. You don't even have to leave your house. I've got a Core2Duo...NOT Quad...NOT over-clocked either...ONE video card that MAKES SENSE for FSX (not 256mb), and I'm running a TH2G 3-wide display off of one of the video ports, and a 24" side monitor off the other. IT WORKS FINE. No OOM's...NO stutters...No BSODs. And every session in FSX includes running ASX, FSC, Radar Contact, and a few other apps at the SAME TIME, with addon aircraft like the PMDG 747.If someone is gonna buy a computer to "play games", then take the time to also learn how to use the COMPUTER correctly, not just the "game". And get realistic about what kind of hardware requirements are needed for a product like FSX if you want to use ALL of the functions in it. Microsoft didn't lie to anybody. FSX WILL run on a system with only a 64mb video card...as a MINIMUM. And that's ALL they stated. They never said you'd be able to get 60 FPS with all the sliders maxed out with that video card. Just like you aren't gonna get that with a 256mb one either. If a person isn't going to get educated about how to use a computer for "gaming", then they shouldn't BUY one in the first place. Go get one of those "game boxes" that don't require user maintenance to keep them running right.***rant over***Rick

Rick Ryan

>Nah - no playing around here with "Bufferpools" - standard>default FSx.>>So far the only (highly unsatisfactory) answer to this is>essentially that nobody knows the reason for this - except>they have found that throwing more hardware at the problem has>sent it away. Barry, my specs are listed in my signature block. If I don't shut down FSX and restart it every few days, eventually my video resources end up getting fully saturated and......visual oddities on my loaded aircraft become manifest, such as missing parts, misplaced parts, etc.Keep in mind that it's not just the loaded aircraft that's using resources, but everything being drawn on screen at any given moment.I also know without a doubt that it's the measley 256MB of video RAM that's the proximate cause of the saturated resources...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Thanks Phil>>This has been pointed out to me before - however my vid card>has 256 meg RAM and, I keep an eye on vid RAM being used (by>using MEMSTATUS). The Vid RAM when this anomoly occurs does>not exceed the amount of RAM on the card It is situations like this that make me wonder just how accurate the video memory reporting function of MemStatus really is.Plus with so many situational variables in the sim going on, as well as hardware variables, we don't know the exact threshold of mem beyond which the visual anomalies start appearing. Suffice it to say, I only ever saw it with a 256 or less mem card.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Nah - no playing around here with "Bufferpools" - standard>default FSx.>>So far the only (highly unsatisfactory) answer to this is>essentially that nobody knows the reason for this Phil explained the reason to you exactly. ??(The sim drops texture loading to try to maintain frame rate.)RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

"There are PLENTY of us who are running FSX with PLENTY of those additional addons, and the program runs FINE. No OOM's, no stuttering, no Blue Screens of Death...it runs FINE."*************************************************That is true -- my machine runs FSx FINE - I have already said that. No blurries, no OOM's , no stuttering, plenty of addons , I often fly with Tileproxy and it is fantastic.My question is/was - why do these anomolies happen only sometimes?? The answer is not that my machine is not well maintained - nor is it that FSx needs to be rebooted. So far - only one person (apart from the buy bigger/better hardware crowd) has given me a possible suggestion to follow - the FPS slider. I have already stated that the scenery sliders make no difference to the situation! - so I am severly doubting that these sliders(and hence vid RAM) have anything to do with this problem. There is only one scenario where I can consistently repeat this problem - that is the free Mission from Just Flight - I will play around with it today in regards to the FPS slider and see if I can figure something out from that. Barry

each flight is typically not the same, there are a lot of variables involved. unless you are starting the machine fresh each time with exactly the same flight and exactly the same settings.all that has to happen is a block of the correct contiguous size is not available. memory can appear to be free, but be fragmented enough that the right resource just cannot get memory allocated and then get loaded into that memory. the more you use a machine, the more likely runtime fragmentation of memory is.try turning all the sliders left and uncheck all checkboxes, some of the checkboxes imply memory usage as well.it could also be a memory leak from mission objects that is causing this to happen occasionally. when something happens so rarely, and in such a narrow scenario - that is usually an indication something within the scenario is triggering the issue and it is not a general problem.

Statements about knowing your rig and keeping it in tip top shape are so true. I have learned alot about computers by trying to get FS to run. But I think you also need a minimum setup. I hear the fewest complaints from people who have at least a 3.0ghz core duo( higher is better) and a 512 mb video card(more may not be better). I am saving up to get a MB that I can overclock my 6750 on.Bob

Bob

Hi PhilThanks for that input. This problem HAS to lie within the particular scenario (mission) - I can load up the identical a/c at the same airport , same weather etc - with scenery set as high as I like with no real problems (setting a realistic max frame rate.) But with this particular mission, I have to set every single scenery slider and checkbox to absolute minimum/off to be able to load the a/c properly. Apart from this , FSx is fine by me - within limitations of course. PS 512 meg vid cards are NOT necessary to run this sim wellBarry

You are correct. But I can only speak from my experience. My sim improved when I went from a 256 to a 512 card. Everyone's trip is different. In my case where I set the frame rate doesn't make much difference, for example. Bob

Bob

>each flight is typically not the same, there are a lot of>variables involved. unless you are starting the machine fresh>each time with exactly the same flight and exactly the same>settings.>it could also be a memory leak from mission objects that is>causing this to happen occasionally. >>when something happens so rarely, and in such a narrow>scenario - that is usually an indication something within the>scenario is triggering the issue and it is not a general>problem.Sorry if my post came across as "flaming"...it wasn't intended that way.But what Phil says above is so true. And the way to track these things down is to learn enough about "computer operations"...not just FSX...so you can determine what the problem is. For instance, in this case I would start by using Process Monitor during the FSX session. It replaces the old Filemon, and is a free download from the Microsoft site. It is highly configurable (much more so than Filemon), and will produce a log of EVERYTHING (or can be configured to monitor less) that happens during your session. A friend of mine was having the same kinds of problems as in this post. I installed Process Monitor and told him to run it during his FSX sessions. He had an "FSX crash" shortly afterwords, and I took a look at the log. He had ONE MISSING FILE from an AI addon he had put on his computer...a texture file for an AI aircraft...that was causing FSX to continually "loop" trying to find/load the texture. Eventually it was leading to an OOM and the end of his FSX session. The key here is it was an "intermitant" problem...it would only happen when FSX encountered that ONE aircraft and tried to display it. He could fly several sessions without OOM's...as long as FSX never "encountered" that aircraft in the session. But once that aircraft "showed up" (based on it's AI flightplan), he was doomed. Eventually, it would eat up all his memory resources, and down he went.We all add things to FSX. My experience has been that when something in FSX "goes wrong", it USUALLY isn't the fault of the FSX program itself or the Microsoft developers. I just get dismayed at seeing all the "FSX bashing" that occurs by end users who don't have even a "basic" background in understanding why things "go wrong" with a computer, and start slamming the FSX developers. Rick

Rick Ryan

>PS 512 meg vid cards are NOT necessary to run this sim wellBarry, no one has stated otherwise!I've been using -and will continue to use!- a measley 256MB video card......and most of the time I have no issues whatever.However, that said I am planning to replace my current card as soon as possible with a AMD ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2... :)Please try to read what's actually written more carefully... :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>I run FSx with SP1 - using an Intel Dio Core with 2 Gig RAM>and a 256 meg vid card. >>I am reasonably happy with its performance - and it largely>does what I want.>>BUT - every now and then, when I load up a flight or mission,>I discover that my aircraft wings are on upside down , or the>helo rotor is at right angles to where it should be or the>control column is upside down, rudder pedals have disappeared,>etc.>>I cant find any consistent reason for this - or any reason at>all really. I have eliminated weather, set scenery settings to>minimum, etc - and it seems to make no difference.>>For example - whenever I load up the free sample Mission from>Just Flight , it always loads with the helo rotor at right>angles to where it should be>>Has anybody else seen anything like this>>Thanks >>barry>>I think the answer is quite simple. You are attempting to use an SP2 aircraft.Remedy, install SP2 - it will work then.

Dave Taylor gb.png