Sign in to follow this  
Cessnaflyer

May 15th, dont get gas?

No problem. And in all honesty I wouldn't trade my little car in for anything, it hasn't had any serious problems since I purchased it four years ago and it does get great gas mileage.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Another view, http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/?q=node/22228 "The oil industry has been a solid backer of Republicans for many years, giving 80-90 percent of its campaign contributions to GOP candidates"

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

My brother just bought his wife a 07 Mazda 3 Speed Turbo. 16psi, 263hp/280lbs trq. Not too bad. Pretty quick in all honesty. Suprised me... :)I wouldnt mind having one.

Wanna know something that ticks me off with for? And believe me, Im a huge ford fan. But here in the states, I dont think they have one car that uses projection or xenon headlights, but I see in the UK, that's all they know. Correct?Anyways, we're still stuck with halogen bulbs.

A very interesting post, especially the price difference between the countries.I do remember a couple of years ago going into my local garage and seeing some coloured leaflets in a display box placed there by the AA (Automobile Association, for the American readers) which stated in the fliers that for every

Guest airbus2

I guess it is a shock to have fuel duty risen, but as many have mentioned your fuel is very cheap, even if they raise the tax i would rather pay your fuel prices than ours here in the UK.Personaly wouldnt mind paying the tax if i could see it being spent on transport. Where i live the roads are crumbling. We pay road tax, fuel duty and now there are talks on a "pay per mile" scheme, despite this there seems little evidnece of improvements in road conditions/public transport. Where i live, there is a bridge that takes traffic south, over the river Thames called the Queen Elizabeth II bridge (or QE2 bridge). There is also a Tunnel that takes traffic north into the county of Essex called the Dartfod tunnel. When this was built a toll was set up and it was promised by our MPs (politicians) that when the cost of building was met the toll would be gone. Now over 10 years since it opened we still pay to cross the bridge/tunnel!!!Politicians, you just cant trust them (well, most of the time)Dave

But consider this:1) Most automobiles in the US arent to fuel efficient. Many very popular trucks and suv's have 25 or 30 gallon tanks or bigger. 2) On top of the tanks, vehicles like the Ford Expedition typically see only around 12mpg with normal driving conditions here in houston.3) Cost of living is less, and so is the income. Yes, houston is a beautiful city, but people make less here than what they make in LA or San Fran. 4)Not sure on this, but I though European's had a bigger income? Correct?Here in the states, Texas especially... 70 or 80 bucks for a complete fill-up every 5 to 7 days.. Well, for this economy, thats a good chunk of change.Im trying to think of more, but I'm brain dead at the moment...

Guest jaapverduijn

"(...) What really ticks a lot of Texans off is the fact that every time we turn around, there is road construction (...)"Although I've never been to Texas, I now got a very familiar mental picture of the state. I'd feel at home immediately, amidst such frequent reminders of "my" little part of Western Europe (sad grin)!As for the main subject of this thread: again speaking as a European (Dutchman), I really can't see what US-Americans are complaining about, when it comes to gas prices: you lot are, gas-price-wise, among the "wellest-offest" in the so-called First World.Yet I'll make you a bit jealous: last year, in Kuwait, I paid 3 KD (Kuwaiti dinar) to completely fill the tank of our faithful SUV. That's 9 euro or about US$10.75 for a LOT of gas! Spoils one though: back in the Netherlands I wept with deep sorrow after having made the first tank stop since the Middle East!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest jaapverduijn

"(...) Taxes are huge. Here in Texas, we have a 20cent tax for each gallon, and we're nearly at $3 per gallon (...)"That's not huge, that's minimal. The posting Pom pays close to 80% tax on his petrol, while you Texans only pay some 7 percent on your gas. Although every single percent paid to the government (ANY government) is one too many, calling 7 percent "huge" kind of confuses the matter.Jaap Verduijn.

Hi All,Very impressed with my VW Golf turbo diesel, it gives me about 50-55 mpg with good power on demand and its reliable as well. Yayy. My Wife and I spent three months in Minnesota and we had use of a hire car...it was a Pontiac, beautiful car but very thirsty, but not as thirsty as the Ford Taurus we had first! 19 mpg average...Minnesota was a great place...Regards,Fisky1

Thats a typical diesel.Low RPM's, but a real high compression ratio. Throws out alot of torque doesnt it? And when your about 70 or 80 on the highway and put it to the floor, that turbo kicks in and it gets up and goes. Doesnt it?Typical turbo diesel.. ;)

Consider the fact that we make less money than Europeans. And on top of that, probably drive more too. Add in larger vehicles and lower gas mileage... And honestly, I dont think America has the best prices. Look at Saudi. Paying what, 60 or so cents a gallon?

Guest jaapverduijn

"(...) Consider the fact that we make less money than Europeans (...)"I'm not too sure about that, generally speaking. Wage earners in my part of Europe tend to finish up with with an astonishingly small net result after deduction of taxes, health insurance premiums, company pension premiums, government retirement pension premiums, all that stuff.And if one is not a wage earner but a self-employed entrepreneurial type like myself during most of my working career, then the tax guys even more dedicatedly sweep down on you like a bunch of bloodthirsty vultures (sad grin)!Of course it can be looked up somewhere and I may certainly be wrong, but I do have the feeling that although the GROSS wages of your average Yankee earner might be lower than those of his Dutch counterpart, the former's NET result might turn out to be considerably better than the latter's."(...) And on top of that, probably drive more too (...)"Yes, that's undoubtedly true. It does, however, have no influence on the gas price per liter/gallon. "(...) larger vehicles and lower gas mileage (...)"Now that's a choice. One can choose a smaller car, guzzling less. And again: the kind of car one drives, has no influence on the gas price per liter/gallon.I really think US-Americans have far less to complain when it comes to gas prices than Europeans - the UK and The Netherlands being among the most expensive, and f'rinstance Luxembourg being among the cheapest European countries for gas/petrol. We're taxed to death - it's no coincidence that the words "taxation" and "taxidermy" have the same root: either way you get skinned quite professionally (grin)!Be well!Jaap Verduijn.

Guest airbus2

The average wage in Europe is higher than America, although there are poor parts in Europe and with poorer countries like Romania and Bulgaria joining the average wage may be reduced.Despite this we are heavily taxed so the vast majority probably end up with similar earnings to an average American. "And on top of that, probably drive more too"You probably do, which is why it is hard to ajust to increasing fuel prices. Lukily in the UK a large part of my tax goes on (apparently)public transport. We do have regular bus services locally, trains from town to town etc so there are alternatives to the car.I can understand why more expensive petrol will be a struggle, but its a sign of the times, oil is becoming a comodity and we are going to have to adjust or become poorer.Dave