Sign in to follow this  
Cessnaflyer

May 15th, dont get gas?

I'm not too sure about that, generally speaking. Wage earners in my part of Europe tend to finish up with with an astonishingly small net result after deduction of taxes, health insurance premiums, company pension premiums, government retirement pension premiums, all that stuff.Good point. I guess you guys have a higher cost of living over there... I guess in the end we all come out even."(...) larger vehicles and lower gas mileage (...)"Now that's a choice. One can choose a smaller car, guzzling less. And again: the kind of car one drives, has no influence on the gas price per liter/gallon.It's a choice, yes. But, for a family like mine, that travels a few hundred miles for the weekend to and from our family ranch, not much of a choice. And those with larger families, four or five for example, have even fewer options. 5 people, honda civic? Psshh... Someone is going to be on someone else's lap.. Thats for sure. Many people require the use of SUV's here. And even those you would expect good mileage from (Toyota, Nissan), you wind up getting 12mpg or so intown. I was first suprised to see the foreign companys sticking V8 engines with over 300 horses under the hoods of their SUV's.Small cars wont fit everyone's needs... Sadly. And for the stubborn ones like me (the ones that crave american muscle and high performance), a Civic or Camry just isnt possible. So that turns out to be our own issue for not settling for a more economical vehicle. Ohh well... But for us Americans, Texans, and Houstonians like me, $3 per gallon is pretty rough. California has it much worse...

True, but then again, we both live in different countries with different tax rates. I think our differnces are actually the same. We pay taxes, and want to pay lower. In this case, you happen to have the higher taxes.

Guest airbus2

"5 people, honda civic? Psshh... "I have been in many SUVs and yes the ride is very comfortable with enough space around me to be able to set up a small desk and play some flight sim! However i get by in my small fiesta with 5 people. soon i will be driving it to the other side of the country (Devon) wich is about a four hour drive. This will be comfortable enough though with some stops along the way to get a few burgers and a cup of tea.As you said, different countries, different needs and different wants.Oh, May 15th is fast approaching ( i have a History exam the day before so have this weeks dates etched in my head!) have you decided whether to pump gas?Dave

i get by in my small fiesta>with 5 people. soon i will be driving it to the other side of>the country (Devon) wich is about a four hour drive. >DaveHmmm, wise choice, the weather here is glorious, good place to live too ;-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest airbus2

>Hmmm, wise choice, the weather >here is glorious, good place to live too ;-)Yep, will be near you, Dawlish Warren i go alomst every year. Probably take a few trips to Teignmouth, Torquay. Weather in good old Essex is rapidly deteriating!Dave

>As you said, different countries, different needs and>different wants.Yeah I think the major difference is in land mass size also. When I drive back to my airplane every weekend it is about a 300 mile drive each way. Just driving to work is 15 miles and I live about as close as possible to work. UK244,820 sq km Washington State.184,673.9 sq kmAs you see there just the state I live in is almost as big as the whole of UK. Plus we have a weak transportation system that doesn't come anywhere near my house. People are just to far between to make a viable transportation system. There are only 20 people per sq. mile here!

True, here in Houston, Metro only runs inside the city. I and a couple million others live in the suburbs of houston. Outside the citylimits=no public transportation.

Yes, I usually like to glance in the mirror to see the other traffic been left behind...usually when I take the exits!Seriously though, the VW engine in particular is a good engine in terms of performance and economy, I think its best around mid range 30 to 60mph, maybe a bit more. Personally I'd perfer a Merc E270 diesel but I'll have to keep saving...the more I drive the Golf the more I save...its a win - win!A friend of mine drives an Audi 1.9 Tdi (With the red letter I) and the performance of that car is amazing for a diesel...Diesel...the fuel of the future...sort of!Regards,Fisky1

>If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would>take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil>company's pockets I wonder how many people in this country fall for this crap. It would give you a good idea on people's IQ.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

I forgot and bought gas. SorryJimCYWG

Who knows? I didnt even realize it was the May 15th untill just now when I looked at my computers clock. Soo, fellas, how's these gas prices here in the US? :) Lookin' at about 2.95 a gallon... What about your neck of the woods?