Sign in to follow this  
irocx

Speed of the cars - too fast? Can we slow them down?

I LOVE the automobile Traffic on the roads! The problem is that they appear to be like race cars driving so fast. In real life flying, they always appear to be moving slowly down below. Is there a setting to make these a bit slower?Thanks,Chris Catalano

I highly recommend the ORBX free utility that slows down the animated traffic in FSX. If you download any of my updated FSX airports (KSAV v1.3 is now available with many more airports being updated with ADE) this is a must have update for realistic traffic speeds. My updated FSX airports have animated vehicles entering and exiting the Main Terminals and the speeds MUST be reduced to a more realistic value.My readme files also have a link like Holger shows for downloading the ORBX updated GroundVehicle speeds.

Guest phineast

I also thought traffic seemed too fast. I figured I'd jump into my Mercedes and drive alondg a Nashville Interstate. Set vehicle traffic to 100%, then adjusted my speed to stay with traffic flow. 70 mph kept me comfortably coordinated. Now, if that cross traffic would just ease up. AAAAARGH!!

Hello Holger,This is puzzling in an interesting way. Brian Smith indicated, I think in the beta newsgroup, that the container files in the GroundVehicles directory are only used for mission and airport vehicles, not freeway traffic, and that the speed in the cfg file is only a maximum, not the actual speed.I included more details in a reply to a post in this forum almost a year ago:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchSo, in principle, the only way to reduce the speed of freeway traffic as Chris wants, is to change the value in the LWcfg file.So, how exactly does John's very nice tool change that value, if at all? Does he just change max speeds in the sim.cfg files in the GroundVehicles directory, in which case the freeway traffic is not affected? Does John know something that Brian does not? A puzzler for sure.I appreciate any ideas on this, just out of curiousity.Best regards.Luis

Hello Luis,good catch, my apologies. The ORBX utility is indeed only for the airport service vehicles as well as mission ground vehicles. To reduce the speed of highway traffic one needs to adjust the TrafficSpeed values in the LWcfg file as described in your post. I have done both and got confused...I suppose the text for the ORBX tweak should be adjusted as well as it does mention freeway and rural traffic.Cheers, Holger

Thanks Everone:I am way over my head. I read the old posts on the LW files. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to edit it, because I cannot open the spb file. I tried dowmolading the little utility that is supposed to convert it to xml format, but, as I said, I cannot still open the file, and I am way over my head. Unless if someone has an edited LW.cfg file they would like to attach to the forum that I can try out, I am afraid I will just have to live with the fast traffic. Thanks just the same.Chris

No problem, Chris, here is LWcfg.xml:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192001.zipYou can open it with Notepad or your favorite xml editor, as you wish.Make the change to the speed in your region, or change all regions. Here is an image of the different regions:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192002.jpgOnce you have made the changes, put the xml file in the same directory as fsx.cfg in the Documents and Settings subfolder. Also, remove the original compressed binary file (spb) and that is it.Good luck.Best regards.Luis

LuisThank you for catching the road speed issue. I did some additional test and what you are saying is true. I will have to change my readme to show that only the airport ground support vehicles have decreased (for my Airports I design) their speed based on the ORBX .zip

Thanks, Luis... I've known of this for a long time, but somehow just never managed to find the time to accomplish the goal...With your decompiled .XML it took all of perhaps 20 seconds to search and replace all instances of the 100mph speed to a more sedate 60mph speed... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Since the link didn't work for me...Here's the link to the decompiler - spb2xmlhttp://lc0277.nerim.net/wiki/index.php?softwareBob (Las Cruces, NM)XP-Home, With FS Genesis Terrain MeshLogitech G15 Backlit Game Keyboard and18 Programmable Macro/Keystroke KeysAsus P5N-D MotherboardIntel E8500 @ 3.16GHz (Now)CPUThermaltake MaxOrb Enthusiast CPU FanCorsir XMS2 PC6400/DDR2/800 Dual, 4GigsSATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDDEVGA Geforce 8800 GT/512 (OC'd Version)Dual Flat Panel Monitors

Bill, I have just set all the 100's to 60, but I can't recompile using the drag and drop method with simpropcompiler.exeHow did you recompile the XML file?!?That's all I need to do. How 'bout a step-by-step for recompile using the SDK compiler.Thanks.

Good to know that you finally got it done, Bill. I guess that the guys in the Art and Terrain teams at ACES set the freeway speed to a U.S. maximum of 60 mph (100 kilometers/hour). I changed mine to 80 kilometers/hour which should work out to a slower average freeway speed of about 50 miles/hour.Makes me think of a "you know you are getting old" joke:As a senior citizen was driving down the freeway, his car phone rang. Answering, he heard his wife's voice urgently warning him, "Herman, I just heard on the news that there's a car going the wrong way on Interstate 77. Please be careful!" "Heck," said Herman, "It's not just one car. It's hundreds of them!"Best regards.Luis

>Good to know that you finally got it done, Bill. I guess that>the guys in the Art and Terrain teams at ACES set the freeway>speed to a U.S. maximum of 60 mph (100 kilometers/hour). I>changed mine to 80 kilometers/hour which should work out to a>slower average freeway speed of about 50 miles/hour.>>Makes me think of a "you know you are getting old" joke:>>As a senior citizen was driving down the freeway, his car>phone rang. Answering, he heard his wife's voice urgently>warning him, "Herman, I just heard on the news that there's a>car going the wrong way on Interstate 77. Please be careful!">>>"Heck," said Herman, "It's not just one car. It's hundreds of>them!">>>Best regards.>>LuisThat was a good one!