Sign in to follow this  
irocx

Speed of the cars - too fast? Can we slow them down?

From Creating XML Gauges in the S.D.K.Creating an SPB fileXML gauges, Missions and some Autogen files can either be in XML or SPB (Sim-Prop Binary) format. If an XML version of a file is found in the same folder as an SPB file, the SPB file will be loaded in preference to the XML file as the binary format is faster to load that its XML equivalent. Because of this it makes sense to move an SPB file out of the folder where editing work is being done on its XML equivalent. To create an SPB file, run the simpropcompiler.exe tool, which is in the SDKCore Utilities KitSimProp folder. This is a command-line tool, so open a command window and navigate to the SDKCore Utilities KitSimProp folder. If Flight Simulator X is installed, then enter the following command:> Simpropcompiler 2spb

>Bill, I have just set all the 100's to 60, but I can't>recompile using the drag and drop method with>simpropcompiler.exe>>How did you recompile the XML file?!?I didn't bother, since it really makes no perceptable difference in the sim... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

No need to recompile. Just use the xml file instead of the binary.FSX will work with either.

Bert

Guest SkullxBones

I set all my traffic to 70 and then recompiled it to spb. Note- If you follow the directions from the SDK, it might not compile. To get it to work, put quotes around the path like this:Simpropcompiler 2spb

Great find !I've now got the cars set at 80 km/h and it all looks a lot more realistic.:-)

Bert

Thanks to all who responded.I got my traffic down to 60 mph and it looks a whole lot more realistic from the air as well as when viewing traffic whilst on the ground. I left the file as an XML so I could up or down the speed at will.60 mph seems to look just right, though.:)Cheers,Mitch

>60.000 is actually 60 km/h, right?>>As in about 40 mph :-) You are correct. I simply "assumed" the value was mph since practically everything else in the sim is "US Centric..." with regards to measurements... ;)From the SDK:"The TrafficSpeed setting is in kilometers per hour, and the traffic will keep within 10% of this value when following other traffic."So 60kph is closer to 36mph actually... kph ~= mph * 0.6In any case, I'm very much satisfied with my cars at that speed... :)

Fr. Bill    

Ok..60 KPH, lol. But no matter, they seem less crazed down there...lol. :)I appreciate someone pointing out the way to slow 'em down. You never stop learning from the Forum! :)Mitch

I just paused from a fly-around at KMYR Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.With the traffic set at 60.000 (40 mph) this adjustment has really cranked up the 'belief' and 'realism' meter. From my real-world travels, the traffic now from the air, on the freeways and highways, looks as if the road traffic is travelling at 60, or 70 mph. The best part is now at cruise in the Cessna 180, I am easily 'leaving them behind' as you would appear to in a real-world flight. Most satisfied! A great tip.Cheers,Mitch

It seems that the xml file I attached has already been purged from the Avsim forum. Since I have had a request to re-attach it, it is worth pointing out that anyone can de-compile the original file using Lamont's very handle tool.Simply drag and drop the original spb file onto his spb2xml and the xml version will be created in the same folder. I think that for this de-compiler to work, FS must be installed in the default location because it looks for the simulator property definition files in:C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XpropdefsFor those with a non-default installation, it might work by ceating a dummy folder in that location and placing copies of the propdef files in there.Best regards.Luis

>I set all my traffic to 70 and then recompiled it to spb. >>Note- If you follow the directions from the SDK, it might not>compile. To get it to work, put quotes around the path like>this:>>Simpropcompiler 2spb

Richard Åsberg

>>How did you recompile the XML file?!?>>I didn't bother, since it really makes no perceptable>difference in the sim... ;)>Sounds good you don't have to recompile the file but when you say it doesn't make any difference what format is used what about this..."If an XML version of a file is found in the same folder as an SPB file, the SPB file will be loaded in preference to the XML file as the binary format is faster to load that its XML equivalent"...or is the difference too small to be noticed? Reason I ask is everyone is always trying to find those extra FPS in FS.

Richard Åsberg

>...or is the difference too small to be noticed? Reason I ask>is everyone is always trying to find those extra FPS in FS.For a file that small, the difference is likely 55ms versus 52ms... :-lol The compiler is only available from the SDK, and will be found here wherever the SDK is installed:..SDKCore Utilities KitSimPropsimpropcompiler.exe

Fr. Bill    

Actually tried finding the compiler but when I didn't I decided to install the SDK so now I have a newly compiled and modified LWcfg file and will not have to worry about loosing those 3 important ms ;-)

Richard Åsberg