Sign in to follow this  
Guest bertvankampen

Adobe air what will it do to our FS air files...

Guest AreCee

I became leery of Adobe Reader when it continually wanted to do updates (which can be turned off). Adobe Reader was growing into bloatware for no apparent reason.I switched to the free version of Foxit as my PDF reader and have been quite happy with it.http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Adobe Reader 9 installer is 33 megs + 16 megs of initial updates(?), Foxit is only 2.5 megs.--Ray

>I became leery of Adobe Reader when it continually wanted to>do updates (which can be turned off). Adobe Reader was>growing into bloatware for no apparent reason.>>I switched to the free version of Foxit as my PDF reader and>have been quite happy with it.>>http://www.foxitsoftware.com/>>Adobe Reader 9 installer is 33 megs + 16 megs of initial>updates(?), Foxit is only 2.5 megs.>>--RaySame here. I switched to Foxit a couple of months ago after getting fed up of Abobe nagging about updates and running background files. You don't even have to install Foxit just click the file and it runs.Phil

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

Guest fsxmissionguy

Wow.Their solution is to "reassociate" .air files ... which would break the Adobe Integrated Runtime environment ... would it not?Phil, can you tell us which program should own the .air extension for FSX to work properly (should it be fsxx.exe)?

if FSX.exe does not set an association at install time it doesn't really care who "owns" the file in terms of association, all it cares about is the contents of the file. which is why I stated that if the file was actually damaged that would be interesting information.if you unassociate a file, then you get the "please choose a program to open this file" dialog. and you get to pick each time you open that file type until you re-associate. I suspect that is what Adobe is expecting, that people leave the file type unassociated.given there is no proof that any file is damaged, and the number of people who really would/should be opening FSX .air files for editing is contained to a set who should/could be knowledgeable enough to manage to deal with this issue - I think there is not a lot of "a do" here, to misquote Shakespeare.

I've been running AIR for months - and distributed it to several thousand computers in the company where I work.I've run it on my FS computers also since May/June.Yes, I occasionally get an error / warning message from ADOBE AIR that it cannot understand the Flight Sim based .AIR file occasionally - which I ignore.For Adobe - a .AIR file is an installation package - kind of like Microsoft's .MSI file, or a .EXE from some other folks.I've never seen an error from FS2002, FS2004 or FSX - and never seen an FS aircraft fail to fly properly.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192077.jpg

Guest Jeffhew

>Holger, Jeff,>>>I suggested this yesterday on the Flightsim thread >>but, was promptly shot down. >>By the experts, no doubt >:-lol Thanks Steve, yes, this particular "expert" has only served to reinforce my opinion that the true experts are here at AVSIM. You can be the smartest person on the planet but, his "I'm right and the world is wrong" attitude goes nowhere with me. In the end I just stepped aside. I'm glad the real pro's are looking into this though.Regards,Jeff

>> Uninstalling Adobe Air and associating the .air files with notepad >> seems to have solved the issue for at least one person.I've never known a simple file association change break a program before. Adobe Air (or the user) must be corrupting them somehow.Just having Adobe Air installed can't possibly do anything (unless, as written above, it is actively corrupting them, or the user is trying to open them and corrupting them).Best regards,Robin.

Guest bertvankampen

>I became leery of Adobe Reader when it continually wanted to>do updates (which can be turned off). Adobe Reader was>growing into bloatware for no apparent reason.>>I switched to the free version of Foxit as my PDF reader and>have been quite happy with it.>>http://www.foxitsoftware.com/>>Adobe Reader 9 installer is 33 megs + 16 megs of initial>updates(?), Foxit is only 2.5 megs.>>--RaySo did i and i am quite happy with Foxit!RegardsBert