Sign in to follow this  
=Hollywood=

FSX BLURRIES ............ I can do no more!

Thanks to Louis I have a new understanding of FSX. I now know that I do NOT have the blurries! I only have some popping, stuttering textures and autogen. This bothers me more than others, perhaps, because FSX is a *visual* experience for me more so than a *procedural* one. I spend a great deal of time in spot view and making videos using spot view. Therefore I probably notice the popping/stuttering more than others, and it DOES detract from the viewing and the videos.So, in the final analysis, FSX is NOT really a flawed product, as I have been thinking all along! It just ----- *is what it is*!!http://blip.tv/file/1229552Bruce

This is a really good, clear exposition. Thanks very much.I suppose it's difficult for MS to judge how to pitch their documentation with a product like MS. But for future releases perhaps they will consider including an "under the bonnet" section in the standard help file, to remove some of the guess work for those of us who have more than a casual interest in the game but are still just amateurs when it comes to these technical matters. In fact, even now I am not aware of any clear, comprehensive and authoritative guide about what the different settings in the FSX "Display" menu do, how they relate to each other, what is their predicted performance cost relative to each other and how dependent each is upon the speed/capability of particular pieces of hardware (eg, CPU GHz vs CPU cache RAM vs CPU architecture vs GPU core speed vs GPU shaders vs GPU VRAM vs GPU stream processors vs PCI bandwidth vs System RAM vs HD etc). There are some good guesses out there and most of us have worked out the basics by trial and error if nothing else, but it is far from systematic. Come to think of it, what are you up to this weekend Luis?Tim

Guest JIMJAM

Next- Runway jaggies and shimmers.With Nvidia and especially its most poular card the 8800GT, alot were able to force aa/af via Nhancer with mixed results.Now with the 4 series ATI cards,the 4870 being the most popular, most get LITTLE if any aa/af.AA/AF MUST be on in FSX or you get ZERO aa/af.Changing Catalyst settings have little if no effect.I undertand the DX10 limit. We are talking good ol dx9 and XP.We still await a 4 series compatable 3rd party program to help us.I have tried everything possible and while at 1950x1080 the picture is acceptable,runway lines,building faces and water waves are pretty bad.Most that I am aware of have given up and accept it as "thats just how it is".A quick search of Avsim, the other sim forums and even game forums in general will show aa/af issues right up there with performace and the blurries.A good explanation,causes and possible help in solving aa/af issues would be welcomed.

I guess autogen, scenery object and AI aircraft textures all add to the video memory equation too. So might it be safe to assume:- The faster video memory the better (eg. 4870/GT280)?- The more video memory the better (e.g. 4870X2/GT280)?Or do we reach a point where the PCIe bus is saturated before extra/faster memory provides any benefit?Simon

I can achieve that with my system. I'll post a screenshot of what you just said as soon as I get home. I run WOAI at 75-80%, all airport vehicles maxed out, and 30% car traffic. I get 15+ FPS with that setup. What you say should be achievable.I have only a few CFG tweaks: Bufferpools, LOD_Radius, and TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=150.I'll do what I can to help.Regards,

Regards,

BoeingGuy

customer.jpg

ASUS P5E X38 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 GHz on 1600 MHz FSB (400x8) | 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM | EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Superclocked @ 679/979 | 320 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 RPM HD

"It just ----- *is what it is*" Thanks to many and in particular Louis this has turned into a useful thread. Flightsim has always been what could be referred to as a general purpose flight simulator. Some may find it lacking somewhat for their particular penchant but surely it is the broad appeal of flightsim that is its strength and should be more widely recognised as such. Let us all be grateful that Flight Simulator "is what it is" warts and all. There will always be room for imrovement and we all look forward to our pet peeves being eliminated in the next version. I have no doubt that many will be dissapointed and one doesn't need a crystal ball to make that prediction. On the other hand one can look back over the years and cannot deny that there has been worthwhile Flightsim progress by any measure.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest sssummer

>and Luis is correct below, --never-- increase LOD radius at>least not until next gen hardware may come around with the>resources to do that.>NickN>Great post, however Nick I completely disagree with the above statement, at least using photoreal scenery. In Megascenery and FS Dreamscapes photoscenery, the difference is NIGHT AND DAY. If you increase the LOD radius to a higher number (for me, LOD 8.0 works great) the textures are crisp and clear at a distance, otherwise, the textures are not clear and look blurry within a couple miles of the aircraft. And this is not next generation hardware, I'm using hardware that is nearly a year old (a good system though).Brian S.

Guest Nick_N

Hes not using photo scenerythats an entire different tweak method

Guest player1

Luis,Great work and post. have to disagree with you the video memory and would suggest that it has more to do with the system, cpu to sub-system memory of the Mesh LOD.I have been pioneering superhighrez Photoscenery since the very early FS days and managaged massive 30K sq mile scenery of than 1 meter full color on 8 bit plane for 24 bit true color back when 128 mb buffer was the max. scenery that was sharp and clear way back then, even if map aren't miped the card will do anyhow unless you force off but that would cause the boiling horizon effect. frame buffers of 512 and up can swollow much more than the FS terrasin can ever throw at it as far as keeping them there and refreshed. The frame buffer dont care, its just they have to be there and the only reason that they arent is because the Cpu and the mem sub syatem isn't delivering the Mesh LOD from the elevation model to atach the map to, if the lod ain't there the map ain't gonna be.Im just sayin, there was a rather large group of us who chased this down, it aint chenged that much, in fact the potential for more is much greater.I have drives full of 30cm scenery that load just fine and are clear, but testing showed the memory subsystem couldn't kepp up.Its pretty much all abandoned now, gave up on FSX after going beyond a huge investment in the whole franchise with some freinds resulted in too much disapointment over X. Still healling.Anyway, take my comments however you whish. Also not a "Aces Dev" but was huge investment of time and worked with folks at NV to get the lowdown. Mesh LOD, if it is not there neaither is the Map. I know I am repeating but Thats all I can say.Take care. PaulL01

Hello Paul,It is great to see you around - you are certainly missed and we would all enjoy having you here more often. Stop by from time to time, even if you are no longer flying.I do not pretend to be an expert, but only get my information from what the ACES developers have written, in particular, the link I provided will lead to a post by Adam about 2 years ago in this very forum where he explained the origin of the Blurries. I only re-phrased his explanation, assuming that he would know what he is talking about. In any case, he know much more than me!Best regards.Luis

Guest player1

>Hello Paul,>>It is great to see you around - you are certainly missed and>we would all enjoy having you here more often. Stop by from>time to time, even if you are no longer flying.>>I do not pretend to be an expert, but only get my information>from what the ACES developers have written, in particular, the>link I provided will lead to a post by Adam about 2 years ago>in this very forum where he explained the origin of the>Blurries. I only re-phrased his explanation, assuming that he>would know what he is talking about. In any case, he know much>more than me!>>Best regards.>>LuisThanks for the kind words Luis.I'm sure Adam had a lot more at his disposal than our little group, but I would still just disagree is all.I still fly, its just by chance sometimes in a nice Falcon 400 or 900. Anyway, Take care.Paul

Thanks Luis for your detailed explanation.I just want to add that I understand the extra 'load' using LOD radius of 6.5 adds but the distant sharp textures greatly add to the realism of the sim and are desired.As it has been said many times in this thread, FSX 'is what it is' so we need to work with it and not make it into something that it is not and essentialy break it.BTW, a system free of blurries will have clear ground textures at any distance or altitude with minimal (not noticeable) popping. In order to achieve this (on my system) I choose to avoid overtaxing the FSX engine by limiting texture addons.ThxJim Allen

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Guest Nick_N

>>I, too, am skeptical when I see ultra-pretty screenshots. You>can bet that the sim was paused to allow blurries to go away>in many cases. As well, if you throw the image into Photoshop>and look at the Levels, you may see a chopped-up gamma>distribution curve: that's the unavoidable hallmark of>screenshot tampering. >>Jeff Shyluk>Assistant Managing Editor>Senior Staff Reviewer>AVSIM>Never... not even on my worse dayevery shot I take is in real time and exactly as it is seen on my screenjust like these.. they wers snagged in flight and have absolutely no processing behind them other than convert to JPEG and reduced. LOD radius is set to 4.5 and I do not raise that value running scenery on standard textures.http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...?num=1220640829I do not have LOD "popping texture" blur issues as were shown in this thread. I can see them from time to time with heavy iron like PMDG coming out of LAX but even then they are minimal. Otherwise the only thing I see popping is autogen and we all know thats just the nature of the beastbut I do know what you mean Jeff because I see edited and processed images like you describe all the time.;-)

Guest jshyluk

Not to butter you up too much, Nick, but I would consider your efforts as a special case, the exception that proves the point. Not everyone, including gaming professionals, is as meticulous about your rig as you are. Me, I am envious, and I am a total slob with my computer. On the other hand, I think nothing about freezing time so I can set up my shots. I will spend as long as it takes to define the precise minute of FSX time to get the lighting that I want. I rarely take shots as they happen. For one thing, I don't like using the keyboard to fly, and taking my hands from the controls to change the view settings often results in a bank angle that's too dramatic (passengers screaming, lawyers writing lawsuits, all of that), or a nose-dive that's too pronounced ( "Captain, is the attitude ball supposed to be all brown?" )Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest Nick_N

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!It's the engineer in me... you cant beat that desire for the clean and organized system out of this old dog I have a button programmed on the yoke for screenshots... duplicates the "V" keyI love FSX.. I had the same growing pains everyone else did when it was first released but I would not fly anything else. I am a bush flying nut and love those PNW flights in and out of the mountains. I am hoping to get that feeing going with Scandinavia and the Alps in EU.I really hope we can capture the spirit of Europe with GEX. Anthony and I think we are on the right track with the current design. It's exceptionally hard to work with the default texture layout and I feel everyone will need to get a good landclass like SceneryTech for Europe so the GEXnEU textures will go to work for them. Nothing would please me more than to see Eu people happy.I can tell when an image is altered almost instantly. The sim places certain data in all screenshots and even the ones that are only slightly tricked out can be spotted using PS checks. I understand the need for advertising but I prefer people see what is possible, not impossible. I have even seen some claim they must make adjustments to screencaps so they look like their sim because their monitor makes things look different... it's bull. I dont appreciate that kind of thing. I would much prefer people see what they are getting than sit there and wonder why what they got wont look like the demo images they saw.Going from 1920x1200 down to 1024x640 will naturally sharpen an image and also going from BMP to 50% JPEG compressed will naturally darken or hue shift an image a bit. Sometimes people see those differences and think things are altered but those are normal changes in the conversion/reduction process.;-)