Sign in to follow this  
Virtualwombat

Spot plane view point distance

Bill/Ron,As an update to my "Got it...Thanks" reply above....In all my years of using Flight Simulator, I never really "got into" the "programming" side of it. I dabbled in minor scenery-making for personal use, but primarily with addon applications that were "point-click" types (never made anything that I considered "uploadable" for other users, etc). Add a building to my favorite airports, etc. And over time I "learned" about many of the .cfg file, etc, settings that could be changed to get aspects of Flight Simulator to "do things" in different ways. But... I always thought of the SDK as something designed for "hard-core programmers"...primarily commercial designers, or "advanced" designers of freeware/shareware addons. So...I installed it, but never really LOOKED at it before or read the included documentation that comes with it.Your "hint" above today just changed all that! I just finished reading the Camera Configuration part of the SDK. To say I was shocked was an understatement. It cleared up so many things I never understood about how all that stuff works. And more importantly, after slapping myself across my forehead numerous times during reading it, it made me realize the SDK is not just for "hard core programmers".The reason I'm posting this is in the hope that someone who may be a "newbie" user of FSX will take the time to read the SDK documentation. Even if you have no desire whatsoever to USE any of it to "change or design/develop" things in/for FSX, the KNOWLEDGE gained about how FSX works can make your understanding about FSX magnitudes greater. There may be (probably WILL be) some parts of it that will be incomprehensible the first time you read it. If so, don't sweat it. There WILL be many parts of it that will make things a lot clearer to you about how FSX "works". I'm gonna have to stock up on lots more coffee now. I can see I'm not gonna be getting anywhere near enough sleep over the next few months, now that I know what even a "novice developer/user" can do with the SDK and the knowledged gained from reading the information in it.Thanks for your accidental "wake-up call" for me concerning the SDK. :-jumpy Rick

Rick Ryan

>Your "hint" above today just changed all that! I just>finished reading the Camera Configuration part of the SDK. To>say I was shocked was an understatement. It cleared up so>many things I never understood about how all that stuff works.> And more importantly, after slapping myself across my>forehead numerous times during reading it, it made me realize>the SDK is not just for "hard core programmers".You are most welcome, Rick. How do you suppose any of "us" got started? It all begins with a willingness to do some required reading and study, of the SDKs (plural), various dedicated forums, tips and tutorials scattered across the World Wide Wasteland... ;)Remember this: anything you can accomplish with a keyboard command (such as moving the camera in/out from an object on screen) can be programmed as well. You only need to discover what the programmatic commands are... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill,Yeah, I kinda always knew that, but was never really interested in the programming side of things. I spent over 25 years in the Air Force doing IT on the System Administration side, and over the years picked up quite a bit of FS knowledge from forums, etc. The combination of those two (computer knowledge and specific FSX knowledge) has fortunately allowed me to avoid many of the problems users experience or complain about here in using FSX.Over the past several months I've contributed several "tutorials" on many FS related forums. With my background in teaching also (did "Instructor" jobs during those 25 AF years) I'm willing to help FS users if I can. I try to write my tutorials at the "newbie" level, and have received several kudos about them from both new and experienced FS users. But I never realized just WHAT was included in the SDK until I read it over the past several hours. A lot of the stuff I "tutored" about is already in there. It would have saved me tons of typing if I had just said (in some cases), "Go read this part of the SDK. It will explain xxx."The darn SDK should be MANDATORY reading for any new FS user. You may never want to program a darn thing, but it explains how the different parts of FSX work, and it would prevent a TON of questions posted in the forum if more new users read it.Yeah...I'm a dreamer...I know. We gotta get them to read the FSX User's Manual first, probably! ;-)Rick

Rick Ryan

And all the manuals we produce for our products too...But let's start by expecting users to read the Readme first:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

>But let's start by expecting users to read the Readme>first:-)Ahhhh...another dreamer. My kinda person. ;-)

Rick Ryan

I still maintain that the best way to get folks to read anything is to name it something like:WARNING_DO_NOT_READ_THIS_FILE.txt :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The spot plane view issue has been fixed (along with many other problems, both great and small) in Dino's latest release (V1.1, t45cfsxb.zip). Now the Goshawk offers the same instrument capability as the Acceleration F/A-18!Fantastic!Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals