Sign in to follow this  
Illegitimi non carborundum

Default Cessna Dynamics

Guest Knikolaes

I have been searching the AVSIM Library for any hint that someone has put out a file that makes the C172 fly at least halfway like the real world counterpart. Right now I can't afford the Flight1 model, and from what i have read the realair folks stuck to FS9 for the Cessna 172 and will not be releasing a dynamics package for FSX.Any leads, please?

Not sure hat you mean. Flight1's 172 is the best 172 one can presently get, no matter what price. I don't want to come across as insensitive but I thought $25 for this kind of model was peanuts. Are you sure you can't forgo those 5 trips to MacDonald's and have something of quality for a change ;)Frankly I will never understand someone who has the (almost) latest dual core machine (I don't) with 8 GB yet can't afford a truly quality sim package for $25 but that's me ....Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Guest Knikolaes

Oh I plan on getting it, but not until my next paycheck. Not to share a financial status with the whole world, but, I had some unexpected stuff hapen and I am over 100 bucks in the hole, so not even McDonald's is reachable until next Friday. However I am in an Instrument Trainer class at flight school and was having some issues with holding patterns. I came home from that class tonight (depressed that I was having issues with something so simple) and started searching for a "quick fix" to the default Cessna so I could practice these simulator holds in an aircraft with better design.I wasn't saying I would not get the F1 172. I was serious when I said I can't afford it yet. I just want something temporary so I can practice some entry techniques before class Thursday Night. All I am trying to do is learn. Sorry if I sounded cheap O.o<> Correction of spelling errors.

ChrisThis post may be of some use: http://www.metzgergva.de/default_e.htmThe default C 172 is modified thus: Weight, loads, performance and inertia according C172 POH.Less sensitive trim, modified pitch effect from flaps - suspension adjusted - moving times flaps adjusted - control sensitivities and co-ordination of control input in turns adjusted - new prop curve and wing.View angle in 2D view adjusted to VC view direction.This guy has "modified several of the default FSX planes.RegardsPeter Hayes

Guest George M

Not being a real-world pilot I can't vouch for the accuracy, but Alexander Metzger has updated flight dynamics for the C172 and several other planes available on [a href=http://metzgergva.de/default_e.htm]his web site[/a]. The frames make it hard to provide a direct link to the C172 page, but it's not hard to find.Edit: Great minds think alike. :-)

Guest Knikolaes

>Chris>This post may be of some use:>http://www.metzgergva.de/default_e.htm>The default C 172 is modified thus: Weight, loads, performance>and inertia according C172 POH.Less sensitive trim, modified>pitch effect from flaps - suspension adjusted - moving times>flaps adjusted - control sensitivities and co-ordination of>control input in turns adjusted - new prop curve and wing.>>View angle in 2D view adjusted to VC view direction.>This guy has "modified several of the default FSX planes.>Regards>>Peter HayesThat site just made it into my favs. VERY many thanks! I appreciate that. This should pacify my need for a stable 172 platform until I get paid :-)

Guest JIMJAM

Its been years but just like a bicycle.........I have probably 600 hrs or so in the various high wngs,150,152,172,182rg,206,210. While all planes have their own individiual characteristics, I think the default fsx 172 is pretty good and one of the best flight models they offer.I recomend a few changes which IMO make the plane more realistic.Add full fuel,2 200 pound front pilot-co-pilot.Most 172s especially rentals are underpowered and in the south during the summer,I would add another 200 pounds in the back.Add some deadzone on your joystick and turn down the sensitivities.Most high wings are pretty sloppy.Asx does a good job of adding turbulence. Rarely do these planes, especially the rentals fly hands off even trimmed. So having some wind blowing,making sure turb, winds whatever its called in FSX is checked.Also,download a 172 pilots operating manual and follow the procedures.Flying "by the numbers" maintaining +=- 50 feet,staying on heading ect, the default 172 is a good virtual trainer and introdution to the real thing.

>I am in an Instrument Trainer class at flight school>and was having some issues with holding patterns. One question is to whether the issues you are having are with the hand-flying or with the visualisation and procedures? If it is the latter, one thing my instructor got me to do to completely imprint them in my mind was initially to have me fly the many different entries and holds on VORS and NDBs by using autopilot in heading mode i.e. it handled the altitude. Once I had the procedures as second nature both without and with wind, it was then off to hand-fly. Everything went much smoother then whether I was in the real aircraft or any number of IP trainers (none which I felt flew anything like a real 172 either).Jeff

AVSimSig.jpg

Guest Knikolaes

Thanks for that. i copied it for future use and will play with it.For now, the links above worked beautifully. Now the C172 reacts and flies just like the ELITE version we are using at the flight school in the classroom environment and also behaves a lot more like the C172 I fly in real life. This makes it a LOT easier to practice virtual IFR. I practiced those holds I mentioned earlier and tomorrow hope to walk into the sim lab a better performer. Hold's in the virtual world aren't too bad -- the only exception was that annoying bit with the flight yoke. Barekly moving it shouldn't send ole' 172 bouncing like a ping-pong ball. The files above fixed that and that was my biggest issue.I haven't logged a single real world flight hour since last semester. This Friday will be a review day to get me current again. Is it odd to be confident and nervous at the same time?