Sign in to follow this  
Guest cueceleches

In praise of the Wilco PIC Airbus

Perhaps I'm just feeling contrary, but I feel compelled to sing the praises of this bird.I am a happy owner of vol. 2 of the Wilco/FT/PIC Airbus - the 330/340 collection, doubly happy because I picked it up for a decent price on ebay, but notwithstanding the (pretty numerous) complaints I've seen here, I feel obliged to say that this is a decent addon, and I suspect quite a few people might be put off by some negative press here and elsewhere - which would be, I suggest, a shame.I'm ordinarily a Boeing pilot - the LDS 767 and PMDG 747 are my principal poisons. But I fancied somthing different.So in brief:Pros- very nice visual model, FSX happy, altogether prettier than the default 'Bus- fully working FMC (I know, the ABs have a different acronym, FMGC or something, but I forget) - complex, detailed, and fun to use- nice VC (not perfect - I have some issues I am chasing up, but it's wholly usable)- fairly stable - I just ran KMIA-KORD and KMIA-KFJK tonight, using x2 x4 and x8 time factors, with only one crash when I didn't restart between flights (same often happens, I find, with other complex sims)- slippery, as I understand the AB to be - getting it low and slow is a challengeCons- All buttons/systems not modelled - but frankly what isn't, I'm not terribly worried about (I could never get excited about Packs control in any jet... aircon sims are not my thing)- frame rates not as friendly as the LDS, but a good match for the PMDG- Poor docs (NB there are more in the install, than appear in the paper manual) - this is not a plane to learn to fly the heavies with; but if you know one of the others I mentioned, you will get on well.The single most "damning" issue I've read - and it nearly put me off buying - related to use of Vista. Wilco's site describes a CTD issue related to Full Control permissions - I did have the same issue, and the fix described has 100% sorted the problem for me on Vista 32.So - on balance, a really nice addon, fair price, good detail, fixable issues. If Wilco could fix their support/forum/PR issues, they would do a good deal better, I reckon. But I am sufficiently impressed by this addon that I thought a balancing post to offset the usual criticisms might be helpful.

Paul Skol

Guest cueceleches

I have both Vol. 1 & 2 and overall like it. Though there are issues I can

Guest Ethan744N763

Hi,I have the PMDG 747X and the LDS 767 to and I love those planes. I was disappointed with Wilco on Vol.2 the problems you describe really get me especially the CRZ problem. The FMC (MCDU) is weak in my opinion. In the real world you can

Guest Mendota

I have been out of simming for awhile, then discovered FSX runs great on my Mac Book Pro (with Vista). (Oddly, better than I've ever had it on a PC.) The old PSS busses were enjoyable for me, so I got the Vol 1. and am considering Vol.2 Seems to have the right balance between challenge and ease of use for me right now. I'm using FS2Crew with it, which makes it even more fun.For whatever reason, this airplane doesn't like to go slow and get close to the ground. I am still trying to break the code on this, but that's a big part of the fun for me. When I get a good autoland in I know I'll feel good about it. I feel it is a sound product, and am willing to overlook the annoyances.I also have the Wilco 737, which seems a bit easier to manage and is overall a slightly more polished product, in my opinion. Nonetheless, there is something about the Airbus that keeps me coming back. Maybe I'm just amazed to watch the robo-plane do its thing (most of the time... and when its thing is not too different from the thing that I need to do.)

I have also the Wilco big busses A330/A340.There are many flaws, but I like them nevertheless.Must not compare Wilco to pmdg or LevelD, I think.For me it's simple: They are actually the best busses you can get.Guy

Guest EnzoCro

PSS A330/340 is still better than Wilco.. to many bugs...

I've had Airbus Vol 1 and Vol 2 for a year and have installed/uninstalled them at least six times - 4 times for "patches" and 2 other times "just in case." each time, after about a day, it gets removed. Too many bugs and gotchas and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much confusion with support. i.e.1) Wilco says "go to feel there forums for further support"2) Feelthere offers "unofficial" forums with "if I feel like it" support. It's all unofficial and all responses assume that you are ALWAYS doing something wrong or that Wilco is the source of the problems.3) If you don't like what Feelthere has to say, they refer you to Wilco whose support responses are canned non-responses which invariably point you back to feelThereand around and 'round it goes.Every couple of months I read a sympathetic posts such as the OP and convince myself that the latest patch is going to be "the fix" and then I am reminded why I had uninstalled in the first place.However, I have no credibility has I've felt this way about EVERY product I've bought from Wilco/feelThere and yet I keep on buying. I, like other simmers, have less patience than I should and crave variety. So, when feelThere/Wilco puts out something the rest of the market isn't being fast enough with, I convince myself that "this time it's gonna be different" and it never is different. The dysfunctional relationship between feelThere and Wilco should be enough to put you out. I used to think it was just a bad deal feelThere signed with Wilco and that they'd be out of it by now. But no... each new release reminds me that this odd couple is intentional. I do agree that their products are compelling, on the surface, but just a bite into the apple will reveal the worm everytime.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Without getting into details - I'm never purchasing another Wilco product. ever. period. :(

Without getting into details - I'm never purchasing another Wilco product. ever. period. :(
Best statement i have ever read on these forums. this product blows.

Guest kwilson

I keep trying to like this plane (the Vol 1) but it always makes it hard. It's taken me a while to get around to the airbus way of doing things but there are still a few things that bug me.1. Is it normal for an airbus to go into a 5000fpm dive when starting a managed descent? I find the AP will dive down, level off then dive down again. It's just ridiculous and can't be much fun for the passengers either.2. Trying to manually land this thing is almost impossible. It may have something to do with the fly by wire system but I always end up having to pull the joystick way back on approach which leaves nowhere to go when you want to flare. I find myself having to row the joystick sometimes. Pull back, hope the fly by wire remembers the setting, recenter joystick, repeat. Maybe it's operator error but it sure isn't fun.3. As mentioned earlier the opaque cockpit windows look awful.4. the framerate impact.Still, if you're happy Paul then good luck to you. I can't wait for the Airsimmer A320 (and PMDG 737NGX :) ).

2. Trying to manually land this thing is almost impossible. It may have something to do with the fly by wire system but I always end up having to pull the joystick way back on approach which leaves nowhere to go when you want to flare. I find myself having to row the joystick sometimes. Pull back, hope the fly by wire remembers the setting, recenter joystick, repeat. Maybe it's operator error but it sure isn't fun.
you are correct, operator error.control the aircraft using direct and firm adjustments of the sidestick (aka, joystick). slow movements will not be correctly interpreted by the FBW system.don't hold the joystick back ... this locks the trim and will make the aircraft react violently when the sidestick is released. a firm correction to the flight and then center the stick to allow the FBW system to re-trim the new pitch/yaw/roll commanded.it is very important you have a good 'null space' setting for your sidestick when it is centered. if the sidestick sends a command it is not in the centered position the FBW's trim logic gets locked in it's last position.support forum -http://forum.iemit.comregistration required--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Best statement i have ever read on these forums. this product blows.
No it doesn't. My experience is the opposite relative to the plane and the 'fun o' meter'. :)Bob..

No it doesn't. My experience is the opposite relative to the plane and the 'fun o' meter'. :)Bob..
I wholly agree :(

Guest Mendota

Now that I've been flying it a little longer, I am getting reliably perfect autolands. Just the basics, really: making sure the correct ILS runway is entered on the Approach Page, getting set up for approach early at a good speed and configuration to catch the LOC, once established, hit APP and the other AP (important not to forget this one!) and let the AT manage speed.I find the liberal use of the speed brake is helpful with FSX ATC, and V/S control seems to give a more precise descent than letting the computer manage things. Managed descent is way too leisurely, and even expedited descent seems inconsistent.I am really enjoying flying Virgin America livery; I added their funny safety video audio to FS2Crew, so I've got real VX ambiance now.I think it is a little better than my old PSS; certainly no worse! The Vol. 2 is nice, too.

Bring on Airsimmer :) Will leave all other Buses in the Dust :)

Mike

Intel 12700k No over clocking 32GB G-Skill 3600 Ram MSI RTX3080