Sign in to follow this  
STUART_H

How can one pan in Tower view?

Is it possible to pan around an airport when in tower view? When I right click and select Outside/Tower/Nearest Tower, I get a static view from the tower. I thought that it would be possible to pan around as is the case in Spot view.Cheers,Stuart

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV3373

Guest fsxmissionguy

Stuart,Not by default. The reason is that the Tower View in FSX is not correct (for example ... if you select Tower View at KBOS, you won't see the view from where the Tower is situated either in real life, or even where the tower is in the simulation.)The result is that in many cases airport structures would obstruct your view.So, I think (no inside knowledge here) that ACES disabled panning on the Tower View as a compromise. Panning would reveal those issues in a very obvious way, so, they disabled that feature. It's possible to enable panning, but that would involve editing your camera.cfg file.Hopefully, in FS11, the Tower View will get addressed and the view will actually represent what it would look like if you were standing inside the actual tower (or just atop it).Cheers,

Go to FSX keyboard assignments menu dialog. Look for the command "Track Pan Toggle". Assign it a keystroke. Press this key to activate it when you are in Tower View.You're done. No editing of camera.cfg necessary.(If I am reading you correctly. I'm not sure if this is what you want).RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Stuart,Mace had the essential part correct, you pan by assigning a keystroke. But in order to move the view you can (as I have done) make the tower view movable by editing the Cameras.cfg (the one in the folder with the FSX.cfg - not the one in the FSX root directory)my edits to move the NEAREST tower - camera definition 7:XyzAdjust = TRUEXyzRate = 2.5 // 2.5 meters/sec. Set to your own preferencePitchPanRate=10HeadingPanRate=45PanAcceleratorTime=0Hope this gives you all the flexibility that you want.Loyd

Tower view by ACES design is in the airport APX bgl and not in the FSX.cfg camera. The tip that Mace posted is the MS published proper way of setting a pan when in Tower view and not by editing the FSX.cfg camera.The ADE airport utility also addresses any Tower view that was not set correctly in FSX such as KBOS and KSFO. It is a simple drag the tower view that is on the Grid of ADE to the correct tower location and also set a eye view elevation that can be looking out of the tower glass (like the tower controller) or above the actual tower. The height of the elevation eye view point is the users choice.Now as per Mace's post and MS/FSX, assign a key command to the "Track Pan Toggle" and follow his other steps.By default the Tower View is lock onto the User Plane both in FS9 and FSX. ACES gave us a proper way to unlock the Tower View in FSX (based on Users request) from the User plane so we can pan very smoothly in all directions including up and down. The down position even allows you to look down at the botton of the Tower. You can also use the + and - to zoom in and out as if using binoculars so you can watch other airplanes flying the approach up close.

Try EZwalccamera. All you have to do is walk over to the tower or any other area you wish and use page up or down to raise yourself to the elevation you wish and then you can pan in any direction. You can use your mouse to look in any direction if you like. It is a very handy tool. http://disk.tom.ru/l28n2ty

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg