Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Recommended display settings

I realize this is a question that probably has been asked too many times already and I guess there isn't any 100% correct answer but what is the best practise/recommended display settings for FSX when it comes to the relation between the graphics card and all it's settings on a driver level vs the display settings available in FSX?My goal of course is to make sure I make the best possible use of my hardware both from a performance point of view but also for the graphics details. For instance...is it better to choose in the driver that the software will decide what settings to use and then set AA etc in FSX or is it better to disable AA in FSX and then set the AA level on the driver level instead? Same question goes for filtering and so on... Did notice that for filtering it doesn't seem to make any difference what setting you have in your driver, if you don't use one of the filtering options in FSX everything will look like crap regardless what setting you have in the driver which makes me wonder...I always thought that any settings you set in the driver for your graphics card will override any graphics settings in the software you're using/playing?My config below:Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit version SP1FSX SP2Q6600 CPU @ 3.4 GHz4 GB DDR2 RAMeVGA 8800GT 512 MB SSC edition (700 MHz core, 1 GHz memory) using 177.92 Nvidia beta driversSoftware installed in FSX:FSGenesis meshGEXUTXFEXFSDiscover!Level-D 767Digital Aviation Piper CheyenneFlight1/Coolsky Super 80 ProTIA for your input and advice!

Richard Åsberg

Look in the hardware forum for a recent thread on Nvidia Control Panel settings.

Bert

I'm not sure that there is a difinitive answer. Nvidia recomends ingame settings. some use Nhancer, and others the nvidia control pannel. I think you need to trust your eyes. Everyone's systems are so different that you need to do what looks best to you. If it means anything, right now I'm using ingame for aniso and 16xQ for AA. But I'm always trying different things.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

There are at least three different ways to get the recommended display settings:1. On the Settings page, click on "Reset Defaults":http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192339.jpg2. In the Options - Settings - Display menu, click on "Reset Defaults" on each display tab:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192341.jpg3. Remove the fsx.cfg file and let the game build a new one.Flight Simulator evaluates the hardware and automatically sets display options to recommended levels.Best regards.Luis

Thanks for all your advice guys!After some testing and reading all info I could find on the subject I ended it with having AA enabled in FSX and Anisotropic filtering and my Nvidia settings currently looks like below. Using these settings seems to give me both great visuals and still at a good framerate.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192343.jpg

Richard Åsberg

You may wish to check out the extensive discussion of FSX display settings at the High Flight Simulations website.

Thanks for the tip, seems to be a very interesting site with lots of good info!

Richard Åsberg