Sign in to follow this  
Guest JCT2345

FSX won't start any more

Guest JCT2345

I have a big problem with FSX today (I flew yesterday with no problem). It worked fine for 16 months, today after the splash screen, I can reach the main menu, I can select a flight, then when I click "Fly", I get the small window "Loading Terrain Data" and it stops there at 0%. Tried the repair option from FSX DVD's, then a re-install including SP1 and SP2, but no result. I also tried to repair (and even to delete) the "logbook.bin" file as per the recommendations I read in the forum, with no result again.I forgot to mention: The only thing I did between yesterday and today, I downloaded and installed FRAPS this morning, so, after this problem, I immediately uninstalled it through Vista uninstaller, but with no success!I have FSX+SP1+SP2 with DctX9, Vista Premium 64, Core2 Extreme X6800, Mother Board Asus P5W DH DeLuxe, 4GB DDR2-800, nVidia GeF 8800GTX with 768MB, 3 screens with Matrox TH2Go + Saitek X52 + GoFlight Modules.Any help would be really appreciated!!!Many Thks in advance,JC

Guest cbuchner1

Would a system restore to a point, say a few days ago, help?

Yes, system restore is probably your best bet. Also, I do seem to remember FRAPS making trouble for some people. A search in the forum might turn this up. With all your reinstalling, a registry cleaning might be in order. Ccleaner seems to be a safe tool, as well as Glary's. They are both free and have saved me a couple of times. I see tha there is a registry tool for FSX here at Avsim.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest JCT2345

Many thks, both of you, I'll try system restore and CCleaner as well.I'll tell you.JC

Guest JCT2345

Nope!I did both system restore and Ccleaner with no result.FSX still stops at 0% Terrain data loading. I tried free flight, saved flight, mission, etc. nothing is working.Many thks any way, any other idea?JC

Well..so much for my lame advice,eh. This rings a bell but I can't quite remember the fix. This is the time of month for MS updates. Did you get an update the other night? Do you have Vista SP1? Have you tried parting your hair on the other side? Have you checked your event log under aplications to see if there are any errors? Have you tried disabling any add ons? Maybe grasping at straws, maybe not. For some things you need the SDK updates as well as newest .net apps.Bob

Bob

So Phil...I hear this alot. What kind of things can corrupt the logbook? Can it be avoided at all? I realize anything can and will go wrong on a computer, but what is it about the logbook that makes it vulnerable?Bob

Bob

Guest JCT2345

Many thks Phil, but no problem with my logbook! As I said, I scanned logbook.bin with FSXLog, no corruption found.Even better, to eliminate any doubt, I deleted it from its folder, but didn't solve the problem...Having a good save of my hard drives from few weeks ago, I also tried to restore some of the FS files like Scenery.cfg, Standard.xml, DLL.xml, terrain.dll, terrain.cfg.So, I'm afraid I don't know what to do next.Thks anyway,JC

Guest JCT2345

Yes I got MS updates the other night, it's the reason why I restored my system to 5 or 6 days ago! Yes I have Vista SP1 (I should have mentioned it in my original post), I didn't find any error, and finally my very last add ons are 4 or 5 months old, I flew some 300 hours since then! (I am now at about 2,000 flight hours with FSX)Thks for your help...JC

Guest bscott

Out of curiosity, are you running FSX Deluxe edition? I've had logbook problems with it (easily rectified with FSX logbook recovery) and am wondering if this is a Deluxe issue... I'm no programmer, just following up on a hunch.BScott

Guest RonB49

Hi JC,You have probably tried this but I'll mention it just in case. Have you deleted (or renamed) your fsx.cfg config file? If not, then give it a try, it can do some weird stuff.R-

Guest JCT2345

Yes I had tried the fsx.cfg thing an also the logbook.bin repair with no success (yes I have the FSX DeLuxe version).Finally today I succeeded to put FSX back on tracks: I uninstalled SP2, then SP1, I made a repair thru the FSX DVD's, then I re-intalled SP1 and finally SP2.But I had to do that 3 (yes three) times, the 1st and 2nd times failed, then the 3dr one (by chance...??) was the good one. Don't ask me why!!!Many thks to all.JC