Sign in to follow this  
Illegitimi non carborundum

Phil Taylor, or any developer: a switch to turn BLOOM on/off in realtime?

I would pay money for this feature! Is it theoretically possible? If you stop the sim and toggle it on or off you don't need to reinitialize FSX. I would love to have this feature so I could kill BLOOM if perf is impacted to much as during landings in complex terminals with 3rd party aircraft. What do you know? QX9650 w/ Retail HSF|ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi|4GB Muskin Ascent 7-6-6-18 1T DDR3-1600|EVGA 8800GT|Seagate SATA 2 x 2|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro SP2|Vista 64--maybe never to be installed

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I just go into the Options->Settings->Display. In the graphics section check/uncheck the light bloom setting and hit okay. All 'on the fly' :D

>I just go into the Options->Settings->Display. In the>graphics section check/uncheck the light bloom setting and hit>okay. All 'on the fly' :D Sort of on the fly, but not what I was seeking. I'm already do what you describe, and just was hoping to do this with a programmable keypress. I wonder how hard it could be to program that, since it will change while the sim is running.Thanks for your responses.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Thanks Peter I will follow up with that.QX9650 w/ Retail HSF|ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi|4GB Muskin Ascent 7-6-6-18 1T DDR3-1600|EVGA 8800GT|Seagate SATA 2 x 2|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro SP2|Vista 64--maybe never to be installed

Noel

Guest Nick_N

What would be better is a slider to change the intensityPerf issues asside.. bloom is too intense in many situations and it would be nice if there was a way to trim it to tasteI may look into that as a FSWC feature and see if its possible

I'm not so interested in a switch for light bloom, as it is pretty much unusable in its current form anyway (although changing intensity might be interesting!). But imagine a joystick button that could turn autogen on and off! You could start at ground level with autogen on and have all the trees and buildings you want, then once above 1500 ft, turn autogen off and suddenly frame rates and smoothness would be back!I'd pay money for that!!!Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

>>>>What would be better is a slider to change the intensity>>Perf issues asside.. bloom is too intense in many situations>and it would be nice if there was a way to trim it to taste>>>>I may look into that as a FSWC feature and see if its>possibleHey that's great. Also tho Nick, if you find it's not too difficult to make a keypressable toggle that too would be very useful I believe. If you go there, please see if it would be possible in either SP1 or SP2.What puzzles me is why there is any impact with Bloom. It looks like the sort of feature that could be 100% managed by the GPU. I love the feature and use it most of the time. The Super MD-80 Pro from Coolsky is so perf friendly, despite its very complex FMS and other systems, that I am able to keep Bloom on in all but the densist sceneries, and even there if I keep frames unlimited often times I will be able to keep frames in the low to mid to high 20's during landings into many larger terminals. Bloom is my favorite effect during dawn and dusk.QX9650 w/ Retail HSF|ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi|4GB Muskin Ascent 7-6-6-18 1T DDR3-1600|EVGA 8800GT|Seagate SATA 2 x 2|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro SP2|Vista 64--maybe never to be installed

Noel

I'd like this feature too.. But not sure if it'd be possible with Pete's FSUIPC . The Sim would have to redraw the whole scenery ...even if you are able to toggle it on/off via a switch/key stroke.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

>I'd like this feature too.. But not sure if it'd be possible>with Pete's FSUIPC . >>The Sim would have to redraw the whole scenery ...even if you>are able to toggle it on/off via a switch/key stroke.That's not true on my installation of FSX/SP1. Bloom can be turned off or on instantly with no scenery refresh. Have you actually tested this on your install Manny?

Noel

Noel,I think you are right... It looks like it does not require a refresh.. So yeah... you maybe on to something.BTW...did you post your request at Pete's forum?Manny

Manny

Noel, maybe right..I just tested it. It looks like it doesn't refresh the entire scenery.Manny

Manny

Guest AkeldamaUK

>I'm not so interested in a switch for light bloom, as it is>pretty much unusable in its current form anyway (although>changing intensity might be interesting!). >>But imagine a joystick button that could turn autogen on and>off! You could start at ground level with autogen on and have>all the trees and buildings you want, then once above 1500 ft,>turn autogen off and suddenly frame rates and smoothness would>be back!>>I'd pay money for that!!!>>Cheers,>>Noel.I'm really surprised some sort of altitude-based functionality hasn't been built into autogen since the scenery was conceived a couple of sims ago.Autogen isn't important once you're a certain height above the ground and surely it would make sense for the sim to stop drawing it once you reach a certain altitude above ground level. This would make better use of the attractive ground textures too.Then of course as you descend to your destination the sim should begin drawing it again. Obviously there's the issue of how to implement this in mountainous areas where your AGL may change constantly and dramatically. But I don't think a particularly difficult issue.It's one of the features I'd most like to see in FS11's scenery engine.