Sign in to follow this  
kiwikat

Lost a lot of lakes!

Help! For some reason a lot of my lakes in MN have disappeared. The last scenery I installed was the AU blue demo... I have since uninstalled that per the manual...I have some very small lakes, but no large lakes like the GPS depicts....any ideas what may have happened?melakes.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hmm, the full version of this has a switch called FTXmode.exe. That switches between FTX areas and non FTX areas. If the demo has that, it would be in the root FSX directory, and you'll want to turn FTXmode to off.

Yeah I did that already :(No change...Argh!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Sounds like your terrain.cfg is fubared.Regards, Kendall#1: E8500 @ 3.95 - HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - XG's 174.74 Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest pwheeler

Do you have UTX installed?If so run their setup tool, start FSX and your lakes will reappear!FTX installs its own terrain.cfg which overwrites the UTX entries. Running the setup tool puts the UTX entries back into the terrain.cfg.

Make sure you're running the FTX on/off utility as an administrator. That was my problem.As much as I like Vista, it is a pain sometimes... ;)

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I have Win XP, and I did rerun the UTX setup tool - no change

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

>Make sure you're running the FTX on/off utility as an >administrator. That was my problem.Yep, been a few reports of this in their forums.Regards, Kendall#1: E8500 @ 3.95 - HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - XG's 174.74 Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Can someone confirm that FTX will break terrain.cfg? That would seem to be a major concern to me.scott s..

>Can someone confirm that FTX will break terrain.cfg? That>would seem to be a major concern to me.>>scott s.>.>quite a few add-ons make changes to terrain.cfg that can be affected by other add-ons or a repair to the base product.

I have this issue as well, the 10,000 lakes in Minnesota have been reduced to 20 puddles!! I have FTZ AU Blue & Gold installed and switching the FTX mode off does nothing. I have run the UTX USA, UTX Canada, GEXn configuration tools and that makes no difference at all. I know that the FTX configurator alters the scenery.cfg file so I guess that the terrian.cfg file may have been altered in some way too. I have several back-ups of the terrian.cfg and I'll see if they are significantly different to the original and report back.Peter Hayes

Hi guys,FTX doesn't alter the existing terrain.cfg file, it places it in a backup folder and places the FTX version in the FSX root directory instead. The backup folder is ORBXScriptsBackup so that's where the originals reside. The FTX mode switcher will move the cfg as well as the other files back and forth depending on the mode (ON or OFF). However, with UT-X and other add-ons that alter the terrain.cfg one can generate a combination terrain.cfg that includes both the FTX and the UT-X entries: simply leave FTX Mode ON and run the UT-X configurator. I must say I have no clue why running the UT-X configurator doesn't work for Peter and Bryan; I've never heard of the UT-X configurator failing to restore its cfg entries, XP or VISTA.Cheers, Holger

It looks like a UTX-USA issue guyswith settings FTX-OFF and all FTX folders de-selected, and with UTX-USA ON heres some pics near central Minnesotahttp://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/Lo...nnesota_gps.jpgwith top down view - no lakes..http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/Lo...ota_topdown.jpgNow if I switch UTX-USA OFF I get the same picture.However if I completely uninstall UTX-USA ( yes I've saved email order Nos etc :) ) the lakes returnhttp://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/Lo...pdown_noUTX.jpgobviously need someone to confirm thisLongers

An update, reinstalling UTX-USA v1.1 and the lakes are present and remain after the 1.2 patch.The culprit seems to be the 1.3 patch - after updating the lakes disappear.Do a UTX-USA OFF, the lakes reappearNeeds confirmationLongers