Sign in to follow this  
Guest bstolle

auto throttle question?

Hi AllCan someone please tell me at what point should you switch the auto throttle off when landing.Is it at the point of touch down or just before/after?Many thanks.Qas

Guest j-mo

Before, unless you have an aircraft that disconnects AT automatically at touchdown. In an airliner, I usually disconnect for the last 1000 feet or so. GA I like to fly descent and pattern myself, so it's off at TOD.Others may have their own preferences. You'll probably get a couple of other answers here.

Guest bstolle

If there's no full autoland function (the thrustlevers don't move to idle during the flare) you should disconnect the autothrottle latest when starting the flare e.g. when you want to reduce the thrust.Otherwise when starting the flare, the autothrottle will increase thrust to maintain the speed, and this is not what you want ;)

Guest jshyluk

Yes, there will be a lot of answers, take your pick.You don't flare an Airbus, so I would suggest you have the autothrottle off at the latest from 1,000 - 500 feet. I like having it off after I have landing flaps set, so that the autothrottle can control speed while the flaps are going into place, but then I can control my speed on final. That will also help if you need to go around, as you won't need to waste precious time stabbing at the AT button if you botch your approach.Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest bstolle

>You don't flare an AirbusWhere have got that info from????The are performing a normal flare like every other airliner (except for the concorde) The FBW airbuses even command an artificial nosedown moment on a very short final just to make the pilot pull back on the sidestick. When pushing the go-around button the autothrottle should increase thrust to achive either a 2000fpm climbrate (e.g. Boeing) or even full thrust (airbus).There shouldn't be any need to touch the thrustlevers during a go-around or a button on the MCP or TCP.

I think the Airbus (at least A320 style) intent is to leave the autothrottle and levers in climb detent (2 engine ops) until the "retard, retard, retard" call then place levers in the idle detent which I think will cause an auto-disconnect.scott s..

I turn my autothrottle off when I get down to about 200 kts (DC-10). This is usually when I'm quite a few nm's out. I don't know if that's right, but that's what I do. I like to manually control it on finals.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest bstolle

>I turn my autothrottle off when I get down to about 200 kts (DC-10). >This is usually when I'm quite a few nm's out.That's good ptactice (except after 8hrs night flight of course) and I asume you disconnect BOTH, the autopilot AND autothrottle at that point.That way you get a good feel for the plane at it's present weight and c.g.Some airlines have the option to fly manually but to let the autothrottle manage the speed. But that's not the prefered method from the pilots point of view.