Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

don't understand...

Intel core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4g Asus P5k3 delux wifi edition 4gb ddrIII 1066 mhz Memory eVGA 8800gt 512mb pci-e video vista sp1..acceleration..32bitgee.i just bought this 9 mo. ago and its already redundant ...anyways, when i fly the default ultra lite at friday harbour, its like an old silent movie..studder studder..when i turn or pan or even fly straight.......even though the frame rates are sometimes up to 100 or beyond..but they do dip to the teens or less, ....but i discovered that when i check dx10 box, it works much smoother???....have to admit this fs experience has been a totally frustrating one...yet here i am :)

Guest SkullxBones

Welcome to FSX, where each aircraft and each scenery scenario takes different tweaks to make it work smoothly.With an FPS friendly aircraft (if there is such a thing in FSX) such as the Ultra Lite in scenery that is not real dense, you might try locking your frame rates to 30 in settings for a smoother experience. In very dense areas, with complex aircraft, use unlimited frames.

The problem is the lack of understanding of how FSX works. Simply put you would get better performance form a 3 gig core 2 then your quad simply because of the speed. THe extra cores help in texture loading bur it need speed to process all the data. I would love to see a 3 gig 3 core would make me happy but all the new cpus seem to get slower. thats ok for desktop stuff but aint helping us.

I have the same system built for me a couple of weeks ago. Only I have a Nvidia XFXnForce 790i MB and a GeForce 260 GTX installed. Also using Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I have the Q6600 overclocked to 3.01 GHz. I have not problems running FSX at all. However, it seems my video card doesn't like Directx 10. Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

>I have the same system built for me a couple of weeks ago.>Only I have a Nvidia XFXnForce 790i MB and a GeForce 260 GTX>installed. Also using Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I have the Q6600>overclocked to 3.01 GHz. I have not problems running FSX at>all. However, it seems my video card doesn't like Directx 10.>>Bob G.If you're referring to the flashing textures and lack of AA/AF, then it's not your video card that doesn't like DirectX 10. It's a function of how FSX handles it. It was billed as a preview and as such, doesn't really add much to the experience. FSvNext is supposed going to be an improvement over what we see presently. ACES didn't have the time to fully implement its features in this release. Regards,Jim Karn

Thanks Jim. I don't have that problem. When I try to use DirectX 10 and go to full screen, the monitor goes black with a box in the middle stating "OUT OF RANGE". I have not idea what that means. However FSX runs just great with DirectX 09C. Bob G.

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

Is your desktop screen resolution the same as in FSX? Regards,Jim Karn

HelloI really dont understand why you are getting such poor performance in FSX.My machine is low end now.E6600 , 8800GTS 320mb , 2 Gig ram.I get 30 fps at all times apart from when i use planes ported from FS9 then it can drop into the low 20's. thats at 1900x1200 on a 27" monitorI am using SP2 with no CFG tweaks at all, just XP with 20 sevices running.

Yes it is Jim. I am using a 22" flat screen and running at1680x1050. Bob G.

Guest jshyluk

Try: Windowed vs. full screen mode (If you have Vista, make sure the window DOES NOT TOUCH the animated taskbar stuff at the bottom of the screen) Frames locked vs. unlimited Defrag your hard drive (if you can put FSX on a different physical drive than your OS, that can help I think, but that's a lot of work)Those are easy things to try.Then:Make sure your drivers are up to dateMake sure your HD has plenty of extra free spaceTurn down your detail sliders (then turn them up one by one to see which one or ones is giving you the problems)If you really want to tweak, search out posts by NickN, and you will find his ultimate tweak guide. There are a number of things I have not mentioned that you can try, but usually there's no one specific solution. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

thanks folks.....windowed or full screen the same....unlimited works best it seems.......drivers are up to date...hd virtually empty....shut down- defender-uac-aero-indexing-limited automatic updates-didn't shut down system restore yet....(nicks advice) will fiddle around more with the sliders to narrow down..everything on low except scenery..by the way, when i pan, there are often vertical black jagged lines that pop in and out too..and i can't use preview dx10 mode because my favorite addon planes end up without their cloths on...:-) anyways, i rechecked the settings and its basically an autogen problem it seems....and for me scenery is so important to me....what could i do to allow high autogen settings?...hardware upgrade? or?

by the way...i let fs build a new cfg file as suggested and my frame rates dropped from 30-50 down to 15-25...so i put back the old file...maybe when it rebuilds, it doesn't include acceleration......who knows:-)

Guest jshyluk

What add-ons do you have? From what you are describing, you are having issues that just should not be happening. I am guessing that either there's something deeply wrong in your system, or else there's an add-on that's generating a conflict.You should not be seeing lots of black shapes all over the place. Sometimes, FSX will make black shapes if it doesn't have enough memory allocated to textures, if my recollection serves. That can happen if your add-on uses too many large textures. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

hi, just using utx and gex and vancouver+ scenery...few planes.vertical black lines pop up occasionally only when my autogen is high and i'm panning or turning fast......

Guest Nick_N

>hi, just using utx and gex and vancouver+ scenery...few>planes.vertical black lines pop up occasionally only when my>autogen is high and i'm panning or turning fast......Thats because the video memory and buss is saturated and is something that could also indicate high heat on the video card however being you are seeing it in pan and turns heat on the card is not the reason and the video card memory is simply overtaxed during those pans and turns Bufferpools being set too high can also cause those black spikes to show because the video memory is reserved and cannot be used for on fly rendering and therefore the memory is again saturatedCheck SimV for answers to your other issues. Stutter with high frames (above 60) indicates you may be seeing a Vsync issue.. Vsync tearing can also appear like stammer or stutters on some systems and some people do not know the difference between the two. I would lock at 30 outside of large urban and only use unlimited in citys and large airports. Something is out of balance on that system and I think its a combination of settings both FSX and the video driver, possibly the driver itself in use. Make sure you have all your Vista updates too.. The driver in use must be greater than 174.74 with Vista SP1 installed or vsync may not work correctly due to the flag missing in the driver.